LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

What are you wanting?

Legal rights, benefits, recognition is at an all time high. Every employer Iā€™ve ever worked for has been pro LGBTQ.

What is impossible to change are peopleā€™s views and minds, if that is what you are hoping for.

Especially those whose beliefs and are rooted in their religious beliefs and in trying to go there, you risk encroaching on folks religious rights which are just as valid as LGBTQ rights, Racial Eights etc.

Iā€™m just curious as to what more can be done outside of mind controlling people.

I believe the all-time high would have been prior to the proliferation of A Certain Religion, since most civilizations did not have a lot of homophobia before it

1 Like

Wellā€¦okā€¦yeah. I mean in modern times.

Well thatā€™s a silly thing to say because peopleā€™s views and minds have been changing since the dawn of time.

The protection of the law and legal rules being written out, thatā€™s the easy part. The other part, the society, is a bit more difficult, but it is not impossible. Thatā€™s a proven fact. Societies change over time; they change their perspectives, their norms and their views, otherwise weā€™d still think slavery and human sacrifice are okay, and we evidently do not even though these things were considered entirely acceptable in many societies for a very long time.

First of, even people with religious beliefs are changing their views because when religions donā€™t change, they die. Every religion alive today has been adapting and slowly changing over time (and space; because religious beliefs, even if theyā€™re part of the same religion, are not the same depending on the area you live in). If they donā€™t adapt, theyā€™re overrun by social changes and new religions take their place. Thereā€™s plenty of religious people who reject the discriminatory roots of their religion and advocate for changes and adaptations to be made for the better good and for the safety and equality of everybody.

And second, religious rights end the moment they endanger someone. If a religion advocates for stoning people to death for being gay, then that ā€œreligious rightā€ is no longer a right and no matter how much people want to argue that, it wonā€™t be true. Once your beliefs put real people at risk, your beliefs are no longer under any sort of protection. Human safety takes precedence. A gay person is in no way endangering a religious person by simply existing, but a religious person preaching harmful and potentially lethal practices and ideas against gay people is endangering others, therefore nobody has any obligation to honor something that can cause kids being kicked out of their homes, poverty, homelessness, injury and even death.

Obviously, I canā€™t stop someone from being angry at the gays ā„¢ in their own home, but as a society we have an obligation to provide public and widely available scientific education to prevent any harmful ideas from spreading. Thatā€™s how, ultimately, we might reach a point where the LGBT community wonā€™t face the problems it faces today (and weā€™ve already made progress on that front in comparison to the previous decades so this method is clearly yielding positive results). Education, awareness and representation are crucial for society to change its view on any issue.

6 Likes

Very well said. What I meant from a view standpoint is that of religious folk viewing homosexuality as a sin. Most modern day Christianā€™s donā€™t stone folks. The sane, law abiding ones at least. In fact I remember a preacher telling a congregation that ā€œwe need to love our neighbors who are gay the same as any other person.ā€ And that ā€œJesus brought sinners into his inner circle, surrounding himself with those the outside world considered degenerates, unsavory etc. And we should do the same.ā€ So yes, views are changing on a bigger scale.

What I donā€™t like to see are the mom and pop bakers or florists who chose to live by their religious beliefs and politely refuse to make a wedding cake for a gay couple but offer to make anything else instead, only to be dragged through the court system, shutting down their business due to financial loss, yet have the Supreme Court rule after the fact that their religious right to not make the wedding cake was appropriate.

We can love our neighbors and get along peacefully. Neither side should encroach on the other. And there should be zero discrimination on both sides. Thatā€™s my view.

Those stores would have plenty of business still if they just kept it to themselves and made the cake. They have the right to refuse, but thereā€™s social consequences for it now. I wouldā€™ve just made the cake, gotten my money, and bemoaned it in privacy. Unfortunately, I canā€™t really say I feel that much sympathy. Especially when that religion doesnā€™t actually mandate homophobia and itā€™s just upheld largely arbitrarily. Itā€™s not like it was the victims who started it.

3 Likes

No, we cannot get along peacefully as long as itā€™s legal for LGBT folk to be fired for being gay, or as long as ā€˜ā€™ gay panic ā€˜ā€™ is a legitimate defense in several states which can get you off prison time for killing an LGBT person.

There are no Christians, at least not a majority, that wants church and state to be separate. Letā€™s talk about getting along peacefully when there is no law that religious folk can abuse to hurt LGBT people. Letā€™s, not.

2 Likes

All bigots have excuses. But the one excuse they all have is other people being bigoted against them. You sound just like every white supremacist who ever tried to convince me to their side. You donā€™t want to get along with straight people because youā€™re bigoted against us. And youā€™re a bigot because youā€™re life has been too easy to make you wise.

How am I bigoted? I didnā€™t even mention straight people ONCE.

So who were you talking about not being able to get along with? Asexuals? Pansexuals? Furries?

Did you even TRY to understand the comment I was trying to make? Itā€™s all fine and dandy to preach about ā€˜ā€™ WE SHOULD ALL JUST ACCEPT EACH OTHER AND BE EQUAL ā€˜ā€™ when there are laws and societal structures that prevent this kumbaya from happening. Itā€™s all fine and dandy to preach about that ESPECIALLY when itā€™s YOU who arenā€™t suffering from these laws or societal structures. Like, thatā€™s completely tone deaf.

2 Likes

Do you actually think itā€™s illegal to fire someone for being straight?

The ā€œgay panicā€ argument is horrible. And I support armed and organized vigilantism against people who use it and allow it to work. But straight people arenā€™t the only demographic that uses BS excuses to get away with crimes. Do you also blame all the worldā€™s black people for the ones who play the race card?

And letā€™s make something clear. It isnā€™t always a false accusation. In the same way that there are black people who are mistreated because of racism, there are predatory non-straights.

Iā€™m not sure what is the argument youā€™re trying to prove here. That all people are bad no matter what group they represent? Sure, yes, I never said that wasnā€™t the case. What else? I canā€™t understand your train of thought.

No, Iā€™m saying we should see people as individuals, and not judge them by the demographic they are a part of. I have friends, coworkers, family, and so on who come from every demographic there is. I also have enemies from every demographic there is. My best friend is a lesbian. But thereā€™s also a lesbian who put me through a living hell, and is on my TOO list.

If you think about it, you can probably think of straight people who have shown you real kindness and didnā€™t care about your sexuality. You can probably also think of LGBT people who have been unfair or even cruel to you.

At no point did I mention anything about straights. I addressed religion and how it is extremely short-sighted and tone deaf to talk about ā€˜ā€™ accepting each other ā€˜ā€™ when thereā€™s one side higher up in the hierarchy that uses societal structures they created to uphold discrimination. And whether or not you want to acknowledge it, straight people do have more power in the society than LGBT minorities. In order for a ā€˜ā€™ just accept each other and each othersā€™ differences ā€˜ā€™ situation to work out, both groups need to be equal in the eyes of the government, society, law and otherwise. But if one of the groups can actively demonize and persecute the other, thatā€™s not going to work out. Then itā€™s all about us having to submit to someone elseā€™s system and potential persecution that they can strengthen any time they want, while they just ā€˜ā€™ tolerate ā€˜ā€™ usā€¦ until we show dissatisfaction to the system THEY CREATED and they start getting stricter.

If you need some kind of a #NotAllStraightPeople mention, then yes, not all straight people are meanies or oppressors. Not every straight person is lucky or extremely blessed in life either. You happy with that?

2 Likes

Let me help you understand one thing: Itā€™s not a hierarchy. Itā€™s aristocracy. For every SWCM with enough money and connections to ignore the law, there are thousands of others who are probably even worse off than you are. Maybe, just maybe, youā€™de be better off getting along with those people instead of blaming them for some supposed system none of them will ever have any power over. Even if youā€™re being oppressed, that doesnā€™t mean others arenā€™t.

Who am I blaming again?

To be honest, I can never tell with you politicals. Youā€™re the ones who vote the most. Half the people in my country that can vote donā€™t. Yet for some reason every election the half that does just getā€™s more upset about the way things are going.

So why donā€™t you tell me what specific people are doing what specific thing?

This is not a politics thread. This is a ā€˜ā€™ I do hope that this game would have more LGBT characters or that the current LGBT characters could have more lore ā€˜ā€™ thread.

1 Like

Thank you for acknowledging that being LGBT isnā€™t the same as being political. Could you please answer my question now?