Let's Revisit the Absurdity of "Hide and Rez"

It still has a bigger chance of helping a focused teammate than valkyrie does. Unless Mercy actually heals more than 140 hp/s during valkyrie

1 Like

Yeah. They wanted to make her a main healer. Not that she was.

Stacking healing is not the only thing. Mercy is closer to zen in terms of our potential in base kit than ana. Valk buffiing her healing numbers is not good imo. It only covers up how she is a weak base healer but let’s people think otherwise. If she got her 60 hps back and dropped valk to 30 hps, she’d still be fine. If she got 60 hps back and dropped healing chains altogether ,valk would still be fine.

60 hps is how she is a main healer. 50 means she is not. Her similarity in base play is alternate zen not alternate ana.

If they are un-engaged, they are indifferent. Hence:

Hell, the idea of removing mass-Resurrect, reworking Mercy, or nerfing Mercy were all minority opinions on the forums before the rework happened.

…Were you even playing the game when the rework hit?

There were a handful of people cheering that it was gone, but the vast majority hated the rework… and then even those people cheering that mass-rez was gone crapped themselves when the rework actually hit live servers.

If the general sentiment was praise over the rework, then the prevailing opinion wouldn’t be that it was a mistake a year and a half after the rework, and the most popular posts from the time wouldn’t be the ones calling the rework a failure.

3 Likes

The focused teammate most likely isnt standing still while receiving all this punishment - probably trying to dodge and/or get to cover. The Moira will have difficulty keeping the kamehameha beam on him while all this movement is going on, while Mercy will easily be able to keep her beam attached. As such, the Mercy may actually have more success at keeping said focused teammate alive than the Moira. Meanwhile, the Moira is much more in the line of fire during Coalescence, with all of her other abilities disabled and no way to cancel kamehameha, while Mercy still has all of her escape techniques available to her as well as more options for cover and the ability to maintain the healing briefly [i]though[i] said cover

I like Moira a lot, but I think you are understating the disadvantages of Coalescence

No. She is still a main healer with 50 hps. It isn’t that much different. I barely noticed a difference when the nerf first went live. Now we have 60 hps back in Valkyrie, it feels like a nice boost to her healing. But she would be fine with 50hps Valkyrie and still be a main healer.

1 Like

I do not agree with this distinction - I see her as a main healer, and she always has been a main healer

2 Likes

I dont know of any valid data that supports the claim that this opinion was one held by a minority

I do not know of any valid data that supports either of these two claims

2 Likes

Could very well be that I’m remembering incorrectly.

As for the rest of your reply I can only say that I haven’t had much difficulty keeping the beam on the players I want to heal. Of course coalescence is nowhere near the burst dmg saving potential that Zen has. TBH I might just be complaining about nothing at all as I stopped playing Mercy after the rework because she was being nerfed/buffed/changed every few days and I just couldn’t get myself to learn to live with the changes. I’m in no way hoping for the return of mass rez but the new ult just feels useless to a player who learned to play with the old mercy.

I hard disagree. Healing numbers and healing utility aren’t the same. I think the naure of chain beams and it’s timing of use means meecy would have similar output in healing numbers even with 30.

Mercy with a 30 beam would be the same in numbers to zen. But severely less powerful. This is due to her either or output of healing dmg and dmg boost. Not to mention how her dmg boost beam is only for one target.
Zen orb potentially makes a target recieve up to 180% more dmg taken. This doesn’t mean Mercy , as zens opposite, would be balanced with a solo beam of 30 dmg boost and 180 healing in her base kit.
At launch, they made this 50 to try and balance it, but it still wasn’t very good and why she was just… bad back then. People played her but not really over her overall output and potential. Ana made it just that much worse. So either up her utility or her healing. They chose healing.
At 50, I feel she needs more utility. And a defensive ult. At 60, she’s a primary healer and can have a non defensive ult. Valk isn’t it imo but that’s a different issue.

1 Like

Let’s just say, that Lucio can reach 46.8 hps every 12 s, while also healing multiple teammates at once, healing himself, and still having defensive ult.

Lucio cant rez a dead teammate

Mercy cannot speed boost a whole team nor heal her whole team for almost 50 hps every twelve seconds nor has cc.

I believe rez is needed for Mercy’s role of consistency or else her role of consistency needs to change for something else.

1 Like

As rather consistent hero, Lucio has burst as his ult, Sound Barrier. Which means that Mercy’s kit is backwards, as she is hero based on consistency, but her ult just makes her even more consistent.

1 Like

Exactly…which is why it’s not good for ult fights. But … Why have more consistency for non ult fights if that is what you were already good for in Your base kit? It’s why even if valk had a 30 chain or just no healing chain and she kept her 50 or 60 beam, it wouldn’t matter. Consistency is what she’s already good at.

That simply isn’t true. I didn’t come to the forums over two years ago because I had a problem I wanted to talk about, or something to complain about. I came because I wanted to kill some time.

Even so, this issue is far from the only one bringing people to the forums… yet it is by far the most popular one. Bastion has been crap-tier since as long as I can remember… but a Mercy thread is #1. It became #1 in less than a month of its lifetime.

But let’s humor your assumption. That means that prior to the rework, a different kind of people had a reason to come to the forums; they wanted mass-rez gone.

…Yet, the prevailing opinion was against those people. Threads that took up the opposite position became the most popular, and this was when downvotes were still a thing:

And this is when, going by your logic, we had no reason to come to the forums.

4 Likes

No.

3 Likes

Mercy’s current kit is garbage and poorly thought out, they won’t add Mass Rez back, and that’s the way it is and will be. Best to accept it now, and you’re more than a year late.

No. They are only numbers.
The numbers does not prove your point, seeing as there are many more factors to them that you did not account for.

You said there was about a 300 health difference, which should be there If hide and rez was a thing.

No.
If you heal your team enough they won’t die. How do you rez someone who is alive??

10 seconds x 60 = 600.
50% x 600 = 300.
50% of players used hide and rez.
Easy as that If we are not going to actually look through this in a logical way.

When you don’t account for the ressurected targets needing healing, while dead targets can’t be healed.
When you don’t account for game length.
Etc.etc.etc.

When you try to twist the numbers to your own liking.

5 Likes

I don’t see how that relates to the nature of this thread

1 Like

It’s just pointless to discuss it anymore. It is completely redundant.

3 Likes