Let's Revisit the Absurdity of "Hide and Rez"

In my opinion (though I dont feel rez needs any improvement), an ability does not necessarily need to be turned into an ultimate to be improved.

Some players might (for example, one of many) feel that if the casting time were reduced by half while the cooldown would be increased by half again, that such changes would be an improvement.

they didn’t want you letting your whole team die intentionally to rez. you can let your teammate die to rez. but you cant actively encourage “go die on the point” or just intentionally let your team get wiped for value anymore. THAT is what they wanted gone. and it is.

Personally, I find this to be very poor Mercy play - a player problem, not a Mercy problem

It’s called “math”. You got Reinhardt badly hurt, with only 50 hp left, and broken shield. Trying to heal him will take 450/50= 9 s of healing only Reinhardt, without healing anyone else(which also need healing). Allowing him to die and resurrecting takes ~2 s, while returns you to healing everyone else 7 s faster, and restores his shield as well.

Sometimes for many players to be healed, one has to die.

the comparison here that I was replying to was between complaining about both Zen and Mercy

P1: “I dislike Mercy’s beams, Zen has no beams to give him away”

P2: “Then pick Zen instead of Mercy”

P1: “Oh no, his healing is even weaker than Mercy’s”

P2: “Pick your poison”

so now you are grasping at straws after calling me a liar, rather than apologizing for false accusations?

so long as mass resurrect existed the strategy did. they didn’t want the strategy to exist in any form so the only way was to remove mass rez.

Feel like this topic is beating a dead horse. It doesn’t really go anywhere and has been explored to its fullest. And at its fullest it doesn’t justify any kind of revert with how Mercy is doing now despite people’s dislike of her current form.

2 Likes

Did they say they didnt want it in their game in any iteration? No. They. Did. Not.

Your interpretation of their words is not the same as mine. But don’t act like it’s the only way to interpret it.
Mine is just as valid because they did. Not. Say. It.

1 Like

Exactly.

Dissecting further into all of the various issues of Mercy’s rework and how it suffers in comparison to the old Mercy (mass-rez-but-no-invuln-Mercy, and there isn’t just one problem) isn’t spamming.

Even if there is a new popular thread every week, that isn’t spam. It’s new but related discourse on an unresolved issue.

“we don’t want mercy telling her teammates to die, or letting them die intentionally” says they don’t want it.

they did say it. you just try to twist what they said to mean something else.

say what you want, but if blizzard wanted mass rez and hide and rez to stay a strategy, they wouldn’t have taken away the ability to do it.

2 Likes

If one complains that character x doesnt have weakness a than character y has, and it is then reminded that they can simply select character x instead of character y, and then replies that character z has another weakness – then to me, it is time to pick your poison, if one wishes to play the game at all.

Every character has weaknesses, and every character has strengths

1 Like

I already explained, that I picked specific playstyle to negate that weakness.

This is my issue. Mass rez rewarded mercys who were subpar. How is that fair? If you were a good healer on mercy and never needed to rez, your rez stats are lower than a mercy who let her team die frequently. So she hains more Sr for being bad than the god mercy. That’s a reward problem tho. Not mechanic

4 Likes

I in turn explained that if a player doesnt like beams giving away their character’s position, like Zen, said player can always choose to pick another character, like Zen

What I’m saying is that if “Hide n Res” is the problem they were trying to tackle, compared to ability or ultimate, it’s better of as an ultimate. This is because it’s less rewarding to hide when Res is an ultimate and it’s not incentivised when Res is an ultimate.

I disagree with this opinion and do not intend to argue about this opinion. Best kept to yourself if I’m being honest.

So hiding is fine as long as it’s just for you to Res one person (even though it’s more rewarding and more tedious for the enemy to deal with)? I don’t know about you but I sincerely doubt that their problem was the amount of players being ressed by the strategy. They’ve made it clear on multiple accounts that they simply don’t want such a mindset as it goes against the existence of a main healer.

On the contrary, this still happens. I’ve seen it happen quite a lot in my comp games. Mercy’s would tell one of their teammates who are low to die during a team fight so they can get ressed again and stall the objective. This specific strategy is commonly used on Temple of Anubis. This and, what you’re highlighting as the issue is not what Blizzard sees as the issue. Again, they’ve made it clear that the issue they have is with the mindset of “Hide n Res”.

1 Like

They said they to address it. So it’s the strat they didn’t like. They triedcast time for example. Wouldn’t have happened if they were against the mechanic. I say mechanic isn’t the issue . Strat is. You’re just mad because my interpretation doesn’t align with yours. But they. Did. not. Say . It. :upside_down_face:

they didn’t want to reward you for intentionally letting your team die. which was a viable strategy.

it is not viable to intentionally let your teammates die anymore. there is no situation where it is better to let them die than to heal them. the problem is gone.

1 Like

Of course it will continue to happen. Why try to outheal extreme damage with your 50 hps, when you can resurrect teammate back with better results? Only question is if you are sneaky enough to not get caught, while doing it.

Mercy never had E ability to burst heal, resurrect was used as one.

which will exist so long as mass rez does. the way to get rid of it is to get rid of mass rez.

im done talking to you now. ive made my point, youre just being intentionally blind. which is chosen ignorance on your part and no skin off my back.

im not mad at all. im just trying to explain it in a way you will understand, but now it is obvious you are plugging fingers in your ears going “lalalallalallalalalalala I cant hear you” so I will move on.

2 Likes

I disagree completely. It was a garbage strategy that, in most cases, just gave the enemy team the chance to wipe your team again.

I’ve just stated a situation. Stalling or reviving teammates who were already going to die instead of healing them which is what a main healer should be doing. Again, the amount of people getting ressed by the strategy was not the issue. The mindset was. Again, this issue that they want to get rid of just got worse after the rework and the only way to fix this issue is to delete Resurrect entirely. Again, Blizzard are most likely never going to ever delete one of the most well-known, iconic abilities in the game just because they don’t like a strategy so the best thing would be to go for the second best option, a Resurrect that functions as an ultimate.

1 Like