Let's Revisit the Absurdity of "Hide and Rez"

No.
Titan here is saying that the mercy players couldn’t have used mass rez as a strategy, simply because post mass rez mercy doesn’t heal “enough”

Until I realized how aggressive Mercy can be without any repercussions, valk has been more fun lately (even without pulling the pistol out). I agree with the E feeling off from the rest of her kit. “Don’t hide and rez” … needs to hide and rez." “strong mobile healer” …reduced hps w/ movement speed reduction and loss of beam while rezzing. Not to say rez isn’t useful, picking the right teammate to rez can change the tide of an entire battle. However, balanced, yeah, she’s easy to kill during rez. But the way it feels is so sluggish, it’s pathetic

https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-08-30-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-and-the-gunslinger-followed
D-tier is synonymous with Tier 4.

S-tier = S-tier.
Tier 1 = A-tier.
Tier 2 = B-tier.
Tier 3 = C-tier.
Tier 4 = D-tier.
Tier 5 = F-tier.

Your move.

3 Likes

I’m going to assume you meant Hide and Rez instead of Mass Rez. And given that the complaint of hide and rez was that Mercy wouldn’t heal while she hid, and that this was bad because the lack was enough to have an impact on the game, I don’t think its entirely unreasonable to believe that there should probably be evidence of this in her healing numbers.

And the number of Mercy mains make up what number of Overwatch? Out of which how many are actually vocal or even care?

There’s nothing invalid about my comparison. You’re saying a number of players want mass rez back, but numbers don’t validate your position. More specifically, just because 2% to 5% (and that’s being generous) of the gaming community wants mass rez because doesn’t validate the argument.

Because there are many valid reasons why mass rez simply doesn’t belong in OW.

And yes, every single argument from these topics have been some variation of, “We want mass rez back”.

And many of us more vocal opponents will be sticking around to answer that we actually don’t.

3 Likes

Also, on a related note, mass res was heavily inflated with the “overpowered” label because Ana was significantly nerfed to a point that Mercy provided a lot more than what Ana did at the time, making Mercy chosen more often.

1 Like

You’re really shooting yourself in the foot here. Mercy is currently B tier, so you’re arguing to bring Mercy back to a worse position?
https://www.metabomb.net/overwatch/gameplay-guides/overwatch-tier-list-season-13-january
EDIT: B tier in the source is actually A tier, because they have no S tier in their meta report

6 Likes

The only reason she’s able to be aggressive is because she isn’t worth killing, or because people (still) don’t prioritize targets correctly.

The main counter to Mass Rez was to not play dumb and to properly prioritize targets and stagger kills properly. Something an insanely vast majority of the population is still extremely incapable of doing. The ult definitely needed more counters at the same time as more survivability tools for Mercy that did not include any form of invulnerability, but the communities inability to play the game properly was the main failing of Mass Rez.

As unpopular of an opinion as that is, its the hard truth that no one wants to accept.

6 Likes

And there is.
At least titan said there is.

*Because of a behavior that they believed were caused by mass-Resurrect.

Today, we know that the ability itself was not the source of said behavior, as the ability went unchanged for a full season before said behavior emerged, and even then, as illustrated in the OP, we know that said behavior was still incredibly rare.

There’s no need to take a loophole when a generalization from an otherwise specific statement is the only argument behind the interpretation.

2 Likes

This thread hasn’t asked for Mass Rez back, I haven’t asked for mass Rez back. I don’t necessarily want mass rez back.
You’re kind of providing another reason why we need to keep making these threads, you make an assumption about my position or the position of all those who make posts and then we make a post refuting a belief like that and you sit here and present another assumption requiring another response.

4 Likes

It’s high noon.

I’ll let myself out.

8 Likes

Jeff Kaplan himself said Mercy had been one of if not the top picked heros for the entire games life around the time of the rework. That includes when she was trash since she was trash for a lot of her life prior to getting invulnerability.

So, what ever percentage it was, it was bigger than almost any other hero most of the games life. Aka, non-trivial.

4 Likes

From what I can see, any comments regarding a person disliking the mass rez leaving the game have between 10-30 likes, and the ones regarding the people happy that mass rez is gone have 100-700 likes on their first video of mercy rework gameplay.
Going through it though brings back memories :stuck_out_tongue: Games changed ALOT.

The sentiment however on amounts of comments,(edit: I forgot to add this, but MOST of the comments were from people who disliked that mass rez was going, but they had worse reception that ones happy about it going, but most commenters were unhappy with it going, so take that as you will) alot of people were upset that it was going, but the comments usually gained little to no likes in comparison to the comments of people who didn’t like mass rez in the game. anything bashing the mass rez loving commenters was the most liked comments.

I would say that that kinda proves the sentiment that at the time, the majority of people were quite happy with mass rez going away for whatever reasons, and the people who disliked mass rez, made a lot of comments but were generally unsympathetically received by the casual watcher of the video.

That’s at least what I see from the one video though, maybe the people who like mass rez just simply weren’t watching your overwatch >.>?

As I see it, there were more people engaged in being happy it was gone, out of 100 comments I got about 70 who were unhappy with it going with little to no likes, and the others who were happy about it going received most of the attention leading me to believe it was more happily received changes than upset.

3 Likes

That’s not what the post is about either. Read on.

Correct.

That’s some weird logic.

“We know that this problem is caused by mechanic X, so we’re going to tamper with mechanic Y.”
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes

12 Likes

Can I get a citation with a timestamp?

1 Like

For a second, I thought you came to your conclusion after watching multiple different sources. I’ll just say that the opinions tend to wary from video to video, YouTuber to youtuber, streamer to streamer and forum to forum.

3 Likes

…You haven’t been on the forums in a while, have you?

10 Likes

It was either Mercy, who was bad, or Ana, who was worse.
Gotta pick the lesser of two evils.
Also Mercy is very inviting to newer players, I’d expect her to always have a good pickrate no matter how bad she is balance wise.