"Less event content, focusing on balancing." With little to show

I feel like less communication may also have been a goal since it seems to be the most apparent thing here.

I find it difficult to grasp how a multi million dollar company takes several weeks to months in order to update their own public test realm with something as little as number tweaks to see how things play out. Seldom is anything ever changed once it hits ptr, regardless of player feedback, until months down the line. And even then it’s only if the pro scene speaks up. Um?

How can you keep doing the F tier squad like this lol.

163 Likes

Because it’s their first shooter; they’ve been figuring it out as they go along.

(I dont know why everyone assumed that I’m defending the devs)

15 Likes

Been like three years, they work with not only one but TWO shooter companies with pvp content, and Blizzard is a world-acclaimed game designer. They have literally no excuse for crap balancing.

97 Likes

Pretty much sadly.

Let’s hope they didn’t forget about content either.

Because we haven’t gotten any of that😭

54 Likes

The PTR is not for balance testing. They do all of that internally. All of their work happens at Blizzard HQ, out of the public eye.

6 Likes

One could argue they dont do it at all

40 Likes

I think people neglect to realize that these balance changes aren’t easy and require lots of internal and external testing, lest they totally break the game.

Anytime they alter an ability i’m pretty sure anything that can be influinced by said abilities has to be looked at. Alot goes into it and anyone with real world experience recognizes this. It’s not magic.

9 Likes

They atleast could be really transparent and communicate what they’re thinking to the player base.
I know the OW team doesn’t like getting people’s hopes up, accidentally hyping up the community, or releasing something before it’s (aesthetically) polished enough but some more updates would be nice.
We know they’re working hard but the silence kinda gets to people after awhile.

34 Likes

I really hope this focus on balance doesn’t mean we won’t get a new archive story.

7 Likes
  1. New engine that really wasn’t designed for this type of game.
  2. The whole company doesn’t work on overwatch.
  3. It’s not their main game.
  4. Why should they just randomly change things on ptr? It needs to make sense to change stats.
  5. If they have plans for new heroes, who is to say their own internal ptr doesn’t have changes with those heroes that make the game more balanced for them?
  6. Listening to the community requires someone from the community to find a common problem. You can’t have them change a hero because 5 people wanted the hero changed.
4 Likes

New engine not designed for this type of game?

What are you smoking?

Why do u think people make a new engine over existing ones? To custom design it to your games specific design needs.

Why act like you know what your talking about?

12 Likes

I agree.

So who thinks that the only balance change this week will be hog? :joy:

I will totally lose all faith if that happens.

2 Likes

Now that i 100% agree with and understand.

The engine was designed for a cancelled MMO called Titan.

They had to refactor the code and make the entire game server authoritative. This mostly involved deleting thousands of lines of code intended to handle the complex systems for the MMO.

I think by now it’s heavily geared toward handling the needs of OW but he is correct in that the engine used was not initially designed for a competitive arena shooter.

13 Likes

Multi billion, not that it really matters.

15 Likes

They’re probably just gonna do a huge balance bomb alongside the new hero they announce at blizzcon

3 Likes

It’s all perspective. It could be close to “balanced” in their eyes. A lot of the time when people talk about how imbalanced things are, Papa Jeff rattles off some statistical data for or against the proposed changes (usually against).

Personally I think this game has way too many disables, melee characters, and too much auto aim garbage. There’s heroes that are definitely less viable than others and a boat load of frustrating mechanics.

I’d also seriously be okay if they just took Doomfist and Brigitte out of the game; Not because they’re OP or can’t be countered, but because of what they do to the meta and how they influence the game’s overall direction.

Really though, I’ve come to the conclusion that the game Blizzard is making isn’t necessarily the one I want to play. It used to be. It’s not anymore.

11 Likes

You seem to think money buys everything. Just because theyre a massive company doesnt mean the animators are gonna make animations quicker, it doesnt mean the bugs fix themselves, it doesnt mean the people who think of the new changes get bigger brains.

Quality takes time, its not something just just happens because a company has money.

As Rocktopus said, its Blizzards first every FPS, they have to learn as they go.

1 Like

They must be preparing something big for the Blizzcon, aren’t they… AREN’T THEY???

8 Likes

This excuse isn’t valid anymore… The community is frustrated and Blizzard is not responding. The game needs massive fixes for everything from: MMR, matchmaking, ranked, LFG improvements and finally better game balance.

There’s a culture problem with the OW dev team. They have problems facing any accountability, taking any kind of leadership role in the community or having any kind of backbone against backlash. I’m not sure these issues will get better until a change in the Dev team leadership occurs.

A lot of changes all at once doesn’t work. Every time this has happened bad changes make it live. It makes more sense to do more frequent smaller changes and analyze the effects. Look at how terrible the Pharah changes that went live are. They made awful changes without seemingly consulting the data.

We haven’t really gotten quality though. Game balance has been a toss up from patch to patch. Sure, some of the new game content (skins, emotes and etc) from the events hasn’t been bad but we’ve still gotten lots of recycled events with them.

Like others have said, Blizzard is a very big and wealthy company. Their refusal to hire or expand the Dev team is purely to avoid reducing profits. Look at how they promote copies sold over active users. They want shareholder happiness over everything else.

18 Likes