Learning with Academy D.Va - Today: Defense Matrix Nerf

좋은 하루 되세요.

My name is Hana Song and I will be your private tutor for today’s lesson.
Professor Winston told me, that some of you have trouble understanding the effects of the incoming Defense Matrix nerf, so I will try to explain it to you in an understandable fashion.

This is me, standing on the point, using my Defense Matrix under current patch conditions.
Right now it has a range of 15 m:

Now imagine my MEKA is holding a 15 m long green marker with which I am coloring out a sphere around me. This sphere has a diameter of 30 m and a volume of 4/3 x 15³ x π = 14137,167 (m³). We call this the “Nope-Zone”, because any projectile or hitscan hero trying to shoot into or through this area is taking the risk of getting his attack denied by my Defense Matrix:

With the upcoming nerf the range of my Defense Matrix will get reduced from 15 to 10 m which is a reduction by ≈33.3%.

Though the effect on the “Nope-Zone” will be much more devastating, as we will soon see.

Imagine me standing in the green “Nope-Zone” sphere I have drawn before and drawing a smaller red “Nope-Zone” sphere into it with a 10 m long marker:

This post-nerf “Nope-Zone” only has a volume of 4/3 x 10³ x π = 4188,79 (m³) which means a reduction in volume of 70,37037%

So a ≈33,3% reduction of the Defense Matrix range results in a 70,37037% reduction of the space that you can potentially reach with your Defense Matrix to protect your teammates from harm.

That was the lesson for today.
If you have any questions or constructive criticism, feel free to post in the topic.

Love,
D.Va
:kissing_heart:

102 Likes

This skin was a mistake

41 Likes

It’s breaking the internet.

28 Likes

So when is there going to be a realistic and/or useful scenario in this? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

When an extra 5 meters would have made the difference between saving a team mate or them dying. Ask lucio players how negligable the 10->12 meter change was. (Hint: it was huge buff to him.)

40 Likes

Anytime someone throws their ult in that area, then complain it got eaten.

2 Likes

Flawed logic. You’d play differently with a 10m range vs a 15m. Unless you’re one against adapting to the situation… are you?

3 Likes

Flawed logic, DM isn’t always something you plan, in o crap moments it will be nerf.

7 Likes

Positioning. Is. drops mic.

1 Like

Your team mates don’t stand in a ball infront of you, they spread out, you cover less area, positioning is now irrelevant. Drops the mic.

25 Likes

Then your team got outplayed by the other team. I see no problem.

(Still, thank you for clearing the confusion some players have.)

5 Likes

Before you could have carried your team, now you can’t. A nerf is a nerf.

2 Likes

positioning for dm isn’t the same as shield or bubbles. DM simply doesn’t function in the same manner. I guess i’d be cool if Rein got a 30% nerf too. I mean, DM has range, but shorter. Shields have only the given range, and lasts until dead, so. seems fair.

6 Likes

This gave me an Dick Dastardly oh no vibes.

3 Likes

Nobody said it’s not a nerf. Pointing out how exacerbatively flamboyant and misguided some people are in their gut reactions to the nerf, is not saying it’s not a nerf. Some people feel like they need to exaggerate the effects to try to make their point more sound and try to influence balance based mainly on their emotional state instead of looking at it objectively.

Objectively team mates will die, dead team mates cost games.

3 Likes

Then you (and your team) didn’t play correctly. That’s what being outplayed is.

One can’t play properly if one hand is tied behind one’s back.

13 Likes

Truly delightful format to the post, but how is DM considered a spherical AOE ability here? Am I missing something?

4 Likes