Korean YouTube poll on open queue vs role queue

Players “feeling like you’re going to lose in spawn” is a real thing. Their reasoning and the correctness of their actions after that point are irrelevant. Its their emotional truth. All games are designed to evoke emotions, so in this case its a particularly high level truth.

Stating that other people’s emotional truth wrong is hurtful and insensitive. Telling people they’re wrong for feeling something is inconsiderate and unempathetic. Do you want to be a person who puts out negativity into the world like that?

It also doesnt solve the problem i outlined - how would you solve the issue of players “feeling like you’re going to lose in spawn”?

Please, since you’re proclaiming knowledge of what is and isnt a game designers job, tell me more - tell me why its NOT the job of a game designer to deal with people’s emotional reactions to a game?

1 Like

Not at all true.

If a player has unreasonable expectations and takes actions in line with those unreasonable expectations then it falls on the developers to step in and discourage that behaviour.

A perfect example of this is when many players reported their teammates for their choice of hero.

It was then made clear in the report box that this isn’t a valid reason to report players and players shouldn’t report others for refusal to swap.

This really isn’t news is it? I think Jeff posted the popularity of gamemodes across regions and Korea preferred OQ modes even then. What you don’t realize is that there is a continuous poll going on right now… people have the choice to pick open queue or role queue ingame and in other regions they’ve chosen role queue.

I’m sorry, I have to ask. What are you referring in your answer about my statement?
If so, you are actually saying I’m right, as the culture to play in cafes and maximize their playing time, which they dont want to “waste” as they all want to be the better players they can be in order to have a chance in a competitive career.

And yet their emotional truth is true for them, unreasonable or not, regardless of what their reactions are. Saying someone is wrong for feeling something is cruel of you. They feel that way, therefore the problem exists.

Reporting others is a player reaction to the existence of the problem.

So, how do you solve the problem?

I didn’t say it.

Devs said it.

I already addressed that in the post you misquoted.

You’re pointing out a player reaction to their emotional truth. I already said “Reporting others is a player reaction to the existence of the problem.”. Blizzard didnt tell them they’re wrong to feel that way, they just set rules to deal with their reactions.

So, how do you solve the problem?

Okay, then they can do the same thing to deal with people who feel that games are lost at spawn.

There should be a message at the start of each game - just like the one in the report box - to state that any composition may be used and players may not throw or give up simply because of their team’s choice of heroes and that doing so is gameplay sabotage.

1 Like

That does not deal with the emotional response players are having, its just shaming them for having that emotional response. They will still have that emotional response.

So, how do you stop them feeling those feelings?

You’re saying that the developers shamed the players then?

In the report box?

Can you please answer my question? I’ll answer yours later.

Because you don’t know how to answer it?

Someone who claims to be a developer should have no problem answering that question.

No, because i feel you cant answer my question and you’re deflecting and now accusing me of doing the same thing. I’m trying to keep things on topic.

So, how would you stop them feeling those feelings?

Beyond a certain point if a player has unreasonable expectations there’s not much you can do.

If I feel like I want to jump off a cliff in every match constantly then that would be an unreasonable feeling and obviously not in the spirit of Overwatch.

Is it cruel to tell me that I’d be wrong to have that feeling?

Koreans are better at cooperating with eachother than the average non-Korean overwatch player.

If every player had their mindset, role queue never would’ve happened.

No, you’re allowed to feel like that. I cant stop you feeling a certain way. As a dev, all i can do is look at the symptoms and try and improve that mood in any way i can.

So, what are the symptoms? How can you improve that “feel like i lost in spawn” player’s mood?

Or you can make it very clear that that type of behaviour is unacceptable and unreasonable - which it is and is considered gameplay sabotage by the developers.

You evidently disagree with the developers of Overwatch on this. As a supposed developer please explain why they’re wrong?

I agree with the devs making their note in the way they did.

Your idea of putting an “in your face” message at the start of every game only brings attention to and validates fact they might feel bad and/or annoyed, plus it suggests throwing which, to a player already in a negative frame of mind, would not be sensible.

You can put in as many messages as you like, they wont change how the player feels if they feel bad. What can we do to fix that emotional feeling? What are the symptoms?

You know there are Gold players in Korea too, right?

The stereotyping of Korean people in this thread is a little… weird.

Blizzard have published data on game-mode playercounts before. Korea was the only place where OQ was more popular than RQ. This poll would almost certainly have near-opposite results (ie. Role Queue would win, but the margin may be slightly smaller) in every other region.

Blizzard make far more money from Overwatch outside of Korea than they do inside of Korea. They aren’t going to alienate the majority of their playerbase just because Korea said so.

Frankly, I’m not even sure why they ran the poll in the first place - they can already see which mode people prefer. This just seems like some marketing person trying to drive engagement with the Youtube channel.

If the player “feels bad” based on unreasonable expectations there’s nothing you can do.

An unreasonable player will continue to act unreasonably regardless since the emotion isn’t based on reason to begin with.

This is in fact exactly what we see in Role Queue.

Players continue to find any reason to blame teammates.

If it’s not choice of role then it’s choice of hero.

Nonetheless you disagree with them telling the player that they’re wrong?

If an unreasonable player decides to report another player then he’s going to go into the report menu and see that message.

It’s very much in their face at that point.