Keyboard & Mouse is Plaguing Console

“Try to avoid using the motorway at peak hour”

This doesn’t mean don’t use the motorway.

You can argue that direction if you want. Meanwhile people can easily also think “wow, they haven’t said anything more on this despite there being so many developments and changes to the gaming landscape in more than half a year, nor have they actually come back to clarify that they meant “don’t” and weren’t intending to be misleading by using different words in the English language that are way more nuanced depending on syntax.”

And by people, I pretty much mean everyone.

If they add native support, this would be a good thing overall, as long as they put KBM users into their own queue, or crossplay them with PC/XBox users also using KBM. They would also remove all aim assist settings as part of swapping to KBM.

This would also make it clear that if you are using KBM outside of the KBM queue, you are cheating and can be banned for it.

1 Like

Jeff didn’t say try to avoid. He said avoid.

If you want to get all picky about wording, to my knowledge Jeff and the OW team has never straight up said “don’t use KBM”, or that KBM is a bannable offense, or for people to report KBM users. If it’s not specifically banned, then it’s allowed.

OK.

Imagine your local council has said: "Avoid using the motorway at peak hour”

Still doesn’t mean you can’t. Or that you’ll be punished/breaking the law if you do.

This logic requires them to state explicitly any hack, cheat, glitch, or software requirement that produces an unfair playing field.

Or they could just use a broad statement, which they did, from which the current use of a third party emulator to allow KBM on PS4/XBox fits cleanly into its definition.

Imagine the police said “avoid this area.” When you enter the area, the police that sees you tells you to get out. They don’t say well I guess if you want to stay sure don’t mind us.

Please show me the broad statement where Blizzard said “don’t use KBM” or “KBM is a bannable offense.”

Continuing the discussion from Unauthorized Third-party Software:

Let’s focus on these words:

i.e. methods not expressly authorized by Blizzard, influencing and/or facilitating the gameplay, including exploits of any in-game bugs, and thereby granting you and/or any other user an advantage over other players not using such methods;

Does using KBM fit this definition?

1. Is it expressly authorized: no
  2. Does it grant an advantage over other players not using such methods: yes

So, it fits.

Blizzard is talking about software that directly interact with OW, that isn’t the case with KBM converters.

Converters talks to the console, not OW. So no, it doesn’t apply.

1 Like

The post is talking about software, however the terms and conditions are general and are not limited to software. You must really really like being wrong.

And you like to keep making up your own things and pretending it’s a Blizzard statement.

Faster internet, higher FPS monitor, mouses with more buttons, etc. All those can lead to advantages and are not “expressly authorized.”

1 Like

I just gave you a blizzard statement. What did I make up?

I mean, you could also ask yourself why they don’t just flick the switch and allow native KBM for the game. It’s literally just an option when making the game.

They didn’t, because they know it isn’t a level playing field if they do.

Edit:

This is actually a strawman, as with both XBox and PS4 there are multiple versions of the consol, and you can have different TVs or monitors hooked up too. You are stretching, as these are standard practice options for both versions of the game. Purchasing a different controller is also not an argument, as the item being used is an adapter something that has no purpose other than to mitigate the inbuilt KBM detection.

Because Blizzard is directly addressing software that is interacting with OW itself.

At no point does KBM converters do anything to OW. KBM converters only talks to the console. It doesn’t change, alter, affect, or even look at the OW software in any way.

They specifically said “Software”

I’m fully on board with games split on controller and KBM. They may be hesitant though because if they loose enough player base in one group how long does matchmaking take?

As far as aim assist it drives me nuts. Always has been my bane with any game that has it. I’ve experimented in OW but it never really turns off. Like many games before it.

You are confusing the post, and categories about software, with the cheating clause. Read this fully:

Then come back and talk about whether cheating is specifically software related, using a quote from the EULA.

By not turning native KBM on, it is against the EULA to use anything to “trick” the game. Your argument is is the same as using a pixel aimbot, which “only talks to your mouse” and not the game.

Again, KBM converters are not tricking “the game.”

KBM converters talks to the console, not OW. I can use a DDR dance pad or rock band guitars to play console OW because console is accepting those inputs, not OW.

Yes they are. The game thinks you have a game controller, not a keyboard and mouse. The game is tricked. Tricked by an adapter.

If Blizzard could 100% without fail detect the adapter tomorrow, while I doubt they would ban anyone they would completely disable it as an input option.

I am starting to wonder though, are you ESL/EFL/ESOL/EAL?

1 Like

The game thinks it’s a controller signal because it is a controller signal being sent from the console. Controllers do not directly talk to OW or any software, both in console and computer gaming.

The reason Blizzard cannot detect and act on KBM converters is because this is a console level issue. This is also why KBM converter users are still limited to the same input rate as controller users, because it’s still a controller signal.

Are you?

This is an impossible argument. It just can’t be followed.

You seem to believe something that even in your mind is the razor’s edge of being ok.

You also think police would say “avoid” instead of putting up barriers and using clearer words like “police exclusion zone” because you need the words to somehow reach your required definition. A definition and scenario that is impossible.

There is no rationality here.

When I see the police say “avoid” an area, I don’t need to see physical barriers to know not to enter the area.

It is you who seem to need step-by-step direction with pictures and physical walls to get the idea. Blizzard said “avoid doing a thing” and you’re arguing “no see what they mean is I can still keep doing the thing because they didn’t specifically use the word “don’t” and when I type “KBM” the report button doesn’t get greyed out.”

Police literally say “avoid walking alone at night in a dangerous neighborhood” yet it isn’t illegal to do so. You seem have a limited grasp on the English language. No logic to be found.

I’m one of those goofballs that reads EULAs fairly often - only once, I’m not going to do the revisions. One thing I think you’re missing is that this is the “U” in EULA. It is something YOU(User) are agreeing to.

Blizzard didn’t agree to promise you much of anything, I’m guessing. It has been made obvious they don’t care about this particular issue. That other people are violating the EULA is irrelevant to the EULA you agreed to. They didn’t sign anything towards you - just Blizzard. This isn’t a legal system. This isn’t a collection of rules, other than what YOU agreed to THEM.

I agree that KB+M is pretty garbage on consoles - my horror stories are from Counter-Strike:GO on the PS3. Someone with an AWP(Much like Widow) could clean house. Completely garbage and completely unfair competitively. It could suck the fun out of the game.

Still, it seems like you’re getting mired in the BODY of EULA while completely ignoring everything that EULAs are, have been for the 2 decades I’ve been agreeing to them, and will likely continue to be for decades more.

Another thing worth considering is potential customers with dexterial disabilities - I’m sure there are some people who have an easier time playing the game on keyboards than controllers and vice versa. Accessibility is going to be Activision’s - and Blizz’s before them - priority over competitive ballance. I think it has been a big part of their business model in the 20 years I’ve patroned them and I doubt that has changed now that video games are bigger and more broadly popular than ever.

I’m with you in spirit, emotion and desire for competitive balance(why I clicked on this thread) but this argument you are making is unrelated to any promises Blizzard made towards you and your fellow users.

EULAs are often one sided agreements, likely written by skilled lawyers in such a way that you agreed to numerous conditions while promised very little to abso nothing in return.