Keep getting 'lost connection to game server' randomly

Ever since the new version update, I’ve been getting a lot of ‘lost connection to game server’ in the middle of games, resulting in many penalties. And from what i can tell, my friends who played with me and a few other people are receiving the same problem, which causes unfair penalties. Is there anything that gonna be changed?

14 Likes

Yup. Getting a lot of that too. I don’t believe in ragequitting so I stay on even in losing games. Yet this time I’m getting dropped from the server, then served time bans as if it’s my fault. I wasn’t even playing comp!

Opening tickets just gets the same cut and paste replies to try that same troubleshooting page.

Which was a whole lot of trouble that didn’t change a damn thing, and the ‘Game Masters’ have zero other solutions.

Can’t believe I’ve bought Overwatch full priced when it was launched and so many Battle Passes only to see it degrade to this state. :rage: :rage: :rage:

4 Likes

Hi, volunteer here. That message means there is a local connection problem. When the server shuts down, the message would be “Unexpected server error/closure.”

Could be something local like your router/modem or something on the path to Blizzard.

Edit: Here’s the link for troubleshooting resources

Again, I am a volunteer. I cannot see your account or remove penalties.

Hi Nicole, I’ve been seeing your reply in many ‘disconnection’ threads. But honestly, have you thought about why so many people have been complaining about disconnecting and getting penalize? Why would something that didnt happen in the previous patch is happening now? I believe most of us that got disconnected would have checked their connection, if our modems or router decides to fail, why only while playing Overwatch?

7 Likes

I got suspended and banned for the entire S11 cos of this issue as well…

The thing is when I can reconnect to the game, the enemies as well as teammates disconnected as well…

You sure we all have the same local connection? Where 1/2 of both team is disconnected

If it is indeed the ISP problem is it logical that 1/2 of both teams got disconnected?

That’s just some illogical problem you’re stating

4 Likes

Same. Started like over a week ago at least? I had hoped it would be fixed by now but NOPE. My friends have all stopped playing because of all the penalties when it’s not our fault the server is kicking us out.

Nope. It’s a server issue. It has been happening to many people. My friends have this issue too. In matches, sometimes you see half the lobby just suddenly DC. No way we are ALL individually having local connection issues at the same time. That makes no sense LOL

3 Likes

Posts about disconnections have been happening since Overwatch 1 launched. Due to the nature of how the internet relies on physical infrastructure and long stretches of cabling, there are bound to be problems at a steady pace. Additionally, most ISPs use the same final route to reach a server, so if you’re all connecting from the East, you’d funnel into one backbone provider before reaching the server.

From a troubleshooting standpoint, using problems occurring within one game isn’t enough evidence to prove the game is the problem. Most games you connect to are hosted in different cities and require different routes to reach. That’s why running connection tests is important, and it does seem that most people post a complaint blaming the servers before attempting those steps.

If you’re all playing on the same server, let’s say Las Vegas, the end of your connection route to reach the server could be the same as 20 or more other ISPs. That’s how the internet is built.

I’m not paid by Blizzard, I’m a volunteer who likes figuring out the mysteries of technical issues. I will review your network tests, but they have to be here for me to do that. :slight_smile:

Honestly I dont think you are figuring out any mysteries but having explanations why Blizzard is having the perfect server and the issues that others face is our problems with ISP/routers/computer setup.

Why not volunteering to inform Blizzard to just have a quick check if there is any issue? I didnt start OW1 since start but I did pay for the game before it went free.

Disconnection problems only started recently for me and coincidently others too. Yes it might be a common problem since OW1 but i strongly believe that something is going on with the servers because there are more people facing the issues and seeing people leaving game for no reason means they probably also faces disconnection.

If you as a Blizzard’s volunteer or Blizzard chooses to keep pointing at us saying its our problem then probably this game isnt worth staying to play.

I just dont see any attempts from Blizzard to help players.

Edit: I just got disconnected again so just checking if there are other better solutions

3 Likes

I got it as well.
You can check this match:
6HYKR1 , 4 people randomly disconnected within like the span of 20s at around 5:50

I also use ethernet connection so it should be quite stable

I have solved thousands of technical issues in the forums (WoW/Diablo/Overwatch/Bnet) over the last 8 years.

They don’t need someone to pester them like that; they have staff that monitor their datacenter and network connections 24/7.

This forum is for players helping other players these days. As a gaming company, and in terms of connections, Blizzard is only responsible for keeping their server available as often as reasonably possible. Per their user agreement, servers can become intermittently unavailable for any reason they see fit (maintenance, emergency hotfix, repairs, etc.). But in the case of incoming connections, those are the responsibility of ISPs and ISP routing peers — and the player is the customer of those companies, not Blizzard.

Most AAA gaming companies don’t review network tests or even offer connection troubleshooting, and I believe (this is my opinion!!) Blizzard is changing to be more in line with the rest of the industry. It may also be why Blizzard removed their advanced network test instructions from their support site.

I’m also capable of reviewing WinMTRs and PingPlotter tests, but no data was posted for me to do so.

I really dont need any volunteers to address our disconnection issue, You’re not much help to us but just giving some template solutions. The reason why people is posting the problems here is because there are real concerns here. Bring all the user agreement out you want because its not helping to resolve the issue, neither do you

3 Likes

Well that’s what you’ll get in the forum.

If no one provides any data about their connection, no one can help troubleshoot the problem. Simply reporting a disconnection doesn’t provide anything actionable.

1 Like

Why don’t you open your eyes and see that many people are facing this issue recently? Play the game first, see for yourself. Penalty for QP when its the connection issue from battlenet is a bullsh*t way to make us uninstall this game lol.

2 Likes

Listen Nicole, given that this is only happening in overwatch for many players by all logical means regardless of how you understand the technical aspects of it, it’s an issue with blizzard.

Please escelate this issue with blizzard and have someone who works for the company look into it, you are literally our only connection to get this info into their hands.

“Thousands of players are being disconnected from matches randomly but regularly, they are being unfairly punished by the automated match leave system and there is nothing these players can do about it, can blizzard’s sysadmin team please look into the server logs and find a pattern as to why this might be happening to so many players.”

Please tell them this, you are our only hope.

3 Likes

And what you get when submitting a ticket is an automated canned response, and what you get when reporting a bug is nothing, and what you get trying to reach out to bliz employees is blocked.

I’ve submitted a complaint to the BBB let’s see where that goes because ther is literally no means of getting this info into bliz hands unless BBB complaint works or you nicole let them know.

I can’t even submit a ticket at all for my issue. :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m having the same issue on Asia server for almost 2 weeks now, and last time I checked I was on gsg1 (Singapore Server). I’m getting banned for no reason because of leaver’s penalty so I’ve stopped playing the game for now. Maybe it should give you an indication with the recent influx of posts about disconnection issues that it’s a problem on Blizzard’s side instead of blaming it on the players. I have two fiber connections with different ISPs and still have the same issues. I can play other games just fine, It’s only happening in Overwatch.

1 Like

Not sure what gave you the impression that I don’t play Overwatch 2, but I always do the daily challenges and always complete the weeklies. Usually I play beyond the challenge requirements.

There isn’t a single network test in this thread showing where the connection problem is happening. Pointing fingers at the server doesn’t provide any actionable data, and therefore nothing to relay.

Hi, I’m having the same problem, playing in gsg1. Almost every other game I will dc. I will see the red disconnection logo at the top left before it says “Lost connection to game server”. I can still type and everything, in the chat, before the game disconnects. I will usually also see many of my teammates and the enemy team leaving suddenly before I disconnect.
The thing is, I am duo-ed with someone playing on the same internet connection (both using Ethernet cable) in the same game lobby and only I am getting disconnected.