Just realized that the new engine/looks of ow2 is gonna result a minor and funny issue

Because… When they were presenting ow2, they were talking about new shaders, new look, presenting older designs vs new designs and everything… Which is all great… But there are details to concider:

-All your skins will carry over
-Only ow2 owners will have the new looks
(and by that i meant the characters’ new looks, cause i even managed to get a forum mvp confused with that)

Which, in itself, are not bad things at all. But i’m starting to realize that a lot of people might stick to the older looks and their carried over skins (especially if they dont own ow2) and its gonna result in some funny inconsistencies, because you will have a character with a really updated flashy look with realistic hair facing the exact same character with the low poly sculpted hair and more minimalistic shading details.

If the pvp component goes f2p like the rumours suggests, we’re going to see even more of the non-updated looks besides the new heroes.

EDIT: Looks like i gotta clarify something. In an interview with jeff on game informer about ow2, jeff confirmed that the new character looks would only be for ow2 owners. Those that have ow1 can still see those equipped with the new look but cannot equip it themselves. Which led me to believe that it will be really funny seeing the older lower poly/detailed models of a char right next to their newer ones.

4 Likes

You think people who do not own overwatch 2 will use the old models?

Everyone should get the new updated everything, and the only difference between owning, or not owning, overwatch 2 is if you, are or are not, locked out of the story mode.

8 Likes

Ow and ow2 are supposed to share the same engine

Ow2 gets new cosmetics tho

They will use the same client and receive the same updates. Just one will have story mode enabled and one not.

9 Likes

The heros will have the same skins for who not upgrade to ow2.
However, only that bought the sequel will able to change base skin to the ‘fresh’ ones. The upgrade to the visual and Hud will upgrade as well for ow original.

Will we be able to use the old basic skin design tough?

there is only 2 differances between OW1 and people who buy OW2.

OW2 gives you the story mode pve stuff. and it also gives you updated base skins for the heroes thats it.

Everything else you will get for free by just having OW1.

If they still in both games. Yes, if they got overwritten nope. They will use the same client after all. They said that anything had on ow1 Will be on ow2 with some changes(lvl and borders)

I think UI and new skins will be available to ow1 players. Just not story mode and characters pve customization(skills, perks, lvl)

2 Likes

ui yes and all skins apart from the updated base models. those skins will be locked to those that have bought OW2. all other skins will be obtainable for OW1 player.

1 Like

I dont think, that’s been confirmed by the devs that the new looks will be only for ow2 owners.

1 Like

Really? Where you saw that? Because when they announced they said they will use the same client and the pvp side will be the same to all players(even the new modes). If they put skin specific for pve, sure but if it’s on pvp they will have the same. Sure can be some “comemorative” like pre-order, anniversary or legendary edition, but new skins will be for everyone, at least it’s what they appear to say.

I think they only said all of your current skins will carry over. New looks will only be for ow2 owners. Ow1 owners can see those that wears the ow2 looks but they wont be able to equip them for themselves until they get ow2.

The source is a gameinformer interview with jeff on ow2.

As well as any other event skin in OW2. I am certain OW2 will have exclusive events.

It was announced with the launch all the heroes are getting an updated version of their base skin. You can only use these skins if you purches OW2 all other skins will be free like always.

1 Like

Will you be able to use old base skins and new ones?

I saw that, about upgraded versions, when francy said about gameinformer talk with jeff. But he also said that they would love to have the same account across both games. Could be temporary thing like some reports about customizable skins. At launch, at least pre-covid it was, but doesn’t mean that couldn’t be a temporary thing.

Sometimes he specifies that will be the same client and sometimes he specifies like 2 clients. So a lot could change. Nothing was said about Future skins. Those new base could represent exclusive from that version. I didn’t discarded that, just considered they would overide the old ones. When you said new looks means base skins or new skins afterwards? The base skins it’s a smart move they done before, like origins and legendary edition.

Yeah, I have a feeling that most people will use their old legendary skins instead of the new designs

1 Like

From quick fact list, says “default skins”.

Says nothing about future content, not being able to access by ow1 players. Appears that their default skins will be exclusive, like origins/legendary edition on ow1.

The old models may use some of the newer shaders.
As for the poly count, the new models just take advantage of having more curvy design but in detail level they look kinda similar. Not to mention it is still the same engine.

They can also update the old models if higher poly version of those already exit from when the models were created.