Its time to admit it, the symmetra rework was a failure

Partial revert to 2.0 make her 2.5, 10m beam 60-90-120 damage with a wide frontal cone so genjis cant moan anymore, old orb with current speed seriously a 2sec charge time for an amputated tortoise orb was stupid, Barrier on E stop and startable pressing E again, Turrets 6 25 damage 30 hp 10sec cd throwable, Shield gen back as a second choice to wall cause tp was a poor mans mass rez. make shield gen a bit weaker and give sym a passive shield gen aura that caps at 25 to blunt damage :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Her weapon is designed to reward consistent accuracy with higher damage output the longer you keep your primary on an enemy. It helps with taking down tanks, as they are quite easy to hit and have a big health pool. The DPS decline most likely wonā€™t happen.

The shield gen ult is a good idea, I would suggest having it last for 1 minute, allowing Symmetra to provide something for her team without it being permanent. It will provide shields for up to 2 team fights, and I propose that if a point is captured whilst Symmetraā€™s shield generator is up, then the amount of time left on the shield generator is refunded in ult charge (i.e. 30 seconds left for shield generator equals 50% ult charge refunded).

Thatā€¦ Itā€™s perfect!

1 Like

Corse it is ima princess. oh and i forgot on F put the ability to self destruct turrets and her shield gen to refund half the charge time so 5sec and 50%ā€¦ partly because i just want an animation of Sym snapping her fingers it would look wicked

So letā€™s focus on that then.

I think the issue there is less of ā€œadmitting failureā€ and more ā€œnot seeing a way to buff the hero further without tilting Bronze/Silver too muchā€.

And I donā€™t think they are at that point yet.

There are plenty of ways they could make the current Symmetra design more effective without throwing it in the trash and starting over.

2 Likes

I actually had some fun with symm 3.0

back when i was on console, symm 2.0 and 1.0 were not fun at all. But now when I pick symm, its actually very enjoyable

5 Likes

When you are forced to do a major rework - it is admitting failure.
If you are only changing a few values - it is saying you were succesful but just needed some slight tweaks.

1 Like

If we understand that the re-work of her character was to accomplish a singular goal, then we can consider it a success.

The goal being: Remove HP stacking via shields/armor

That goal was a success, however the performance of the character is still in question. I believe they could still adjust some numbers to get her in a more stable, contributing spot.

3 Likes

Forgot there was another great example.
Developers always like to tout terrible ideas as success stories and advertise it like the next sliced bread idea.

Warframe is a great example, the new ā€œArchwing Control system using 6 DoFā€
Rebecca and Scott sold it hard about how amazing it is, and it feels like the best flight sim ever.

Before they changed it, you could fly across the map with perfect percision. You felt like hot shot race car driver.

When they added 6 DoF not only did people get nausea from the non stop rotations but everyone ended up like a terrible drunk driver that rammed into some wall every 20 feet.

It took then 1 year to silently change it back, because they hated to admit it was a terrible idea to begin with. They made the change as quietly as possible too - since archwing play dropped off a cliff.

Which is what happened with symmetera - with her pick rates dropping faster than a bowling ball flying into a blackhole.

I like this Sym on my team way more. I hated investing everything in hoping old Sym got tp up before she died, only to have it pulse bombed 15 seconds later. New Sym can taxi the whole team past chokes and is very useful with her throwable turrets. Someone autolocked Sym on Numbani defense in my comp game and I didnā€™t even consider asking her to switch. We full held easily.

3 Likes

I would give another 2 months, people here are just to slow to realize it.

Or your just gonna start a cycle of repeating yourself.

I have already been there here.

Sym for much of her existence hasnā€™t been considered to be a terribly appealing character or terribly effective as a character.

Having her fall in pickrate considering how low she started isnā€™t a great sign.

If you look at Torbā€™s pick rate you see what looks to be a similar drop to what happened with Sym where the rework produced a spike but, then the numbers plummeted and are continuing to trend down.

Torb is currently .05 above his pre-rework QP pickrate on PC, .25 below his pre-rework QP pick rate on PSN, and . 37 below his pre-rework QP pickrate on XBOX.

Torb is currently .29 above his pre-rework comp on PC, .26 above his pre-rework pick rate on PSN, and .09 above his pre-rework pick rate on XBOX.

I think with back to back reworks flirting with being less popular than the unpopular predecessor suggests that their design process has issues. Either the designs just arenā€™t good or the designs are underpowered. Both characters are at 54% + winrate so unless we are calling them niche itā€™s probably not them just being underpowered if it is that at all.

The two of us combined havenā€™t managed to play 15 games on live as either Torb or Sym since the reworks and I doubt we are the only people that just arenā€™t that interested in playing the new designs beyond PTR testing considering the plummeting pickrates.

2 Likes

Takes a Month for people to learn a new hero two at most.
Beyond that you are living in denial.

2 Likes

Her primary fire was actually decent before they patched in the lazy bug fix that gave it 20 ticks a second.

Just gonna put this here: šŸ§­ Highlighting some of my Sym suggestions and other things from over a year:

The title seemed like a mercy post. Are we at this point now?

I swear you spam the forums like 10 times a day crying about Sym. Can you give it a rest?

1 Like

to make her more viable, and she is.
most people dont like her playstyle or dont want to learn to play her

Actually, Jeff said they werenā€™t entirely happy with her rework in a recent Kotaku interview. Soā€¦

3 Likes

I was not aware of this, can you please get the source?