Its time to admit it, the symmetra rework was a failure

I like this Sym on my team way more. I hated investing everything in hoping old Sym got tp up before she died, only to have it pulse bombed 15 seconds later. New Sym can taxi the whole team past chokes and is very useful with her throwable turrets. Someone autolocked Sym on Numbani defense in my comp game and I didnā€™t even consider asking her to switch. We full held easily.

3 Likes

I would give another 2 months, people here are just to slow to realize it.

Or your just gonna start a cycle of repeating yourself.

I have already been there here.

Sym for much of her existence hasnā€™t been considered to be a terribly appealing character or terribly effective as a character.

Having her fall in pickrate considering how low she started isnā€™t a great sign.

If you look at Torbā€™s pick rate you see what looks to be a similar drop to what happened with Sym where the rework produced a spike but, then the numbers plummeted and are continuing to trend down.

Torb is currently .05 above his pre-rework QP pickrate on PC, .25 below his pre-rework QP pick rate on PSN, and . 37 below his pre-rework QP pickrate on XBOX.

Torb is currently .29 above his pre-rework comp on PC, .26 above his pre-rework pick rate on PSN, and .09 above his pre-rework pick rate on XBOX.

I think with back to back reworks flirting with being less popular than the unpopular predecessor suggests that their design process has issues. Either the designs just arenā€™t good or the designs are underpowered. Both characters are at 54% + winrate so unless we are calling them niche itā€™s probably not them just being underpowered if it is that at all.

The two of us combined havenā€™t managed to play 15 games on live as either Torb or Sym since the reworks and I doubt we are the only people that just arenā€™t that interested in playing the new designs beyond PTR testing considering the plummeting pickrates.

2 Likes

Takes a Month for people to learn a new hero two at most.
Beyond that you are living in denial.

2 Likes

Her primary fire was actually decent before they patched in the lazy bug fix that gave it 20 ticks a second.

Just gonna put this here: šŸ§­ Highlighting some of my Sym suggestions and other things from over a year:

The title seemed like a mercy post. Are we at this point now?

I swear you spam the forums like 10 times a day crying about Sym. Can you give it a rest?

1 Like

to make her more viable, and she is.
most people dont like her playstyle or dont want to learn to play her

Actually, Jeff said they werenā€™t entirely happy with her rework in a recent Kotaku interview. Soā€¦

3 Likes

I was not aware of this, can you please get the source?

Theyā€™re close to a decent hero. They just need to fix a couple of issues and address a couple of problems and she could be better.

Teleporter:

• Reduce activation time to 1.5s, fix the railing bug

Primary Fire:

• adjust the number of ticks to 5 per second
  • base damage to 16, ramp up increases by 50%, 80/120/180
  • pierces enemies, gains charge per enemy pierced
  • applies a 15% movement speed debuff on enemies
  • heals Shield HP at 12/16/20 a second

The Teleporter changes fixed a necessary bug and increases its usage.

The primary changes addresses her need for sustain, helps reduce the skill floor a bit, and makes her a true threat in cqc.

2 Likes

The only problem with her rework was that she came in a bit underpowered instead of a bit overpowered. Though, frankly, her win rate is still pretty nuts, especially since thereā€™s even less possibility that sheā€™s only used in certain situations.

Basically, she didnā€™t make a big splash like Hanzo to kick the old preconceptions, so they still plague her. Even though new Symmetra is quite versatile, people still think that sheā€™s niche. Sheā€™s not that map dependent since almost every map has powerful teleport spots. She still canā€™t really touch Pharah, but she has a much better chance against Winston and Widowmaker now. The few changes even helped level the playing field against Brigitte a bit. A bit more damage or survivability, and I think sheā€™d be a total menace.

But in the end, her play style is very unique, not too broadly appealing, and very difficult to perform with. So sheā€™s never going to have crazy high pick rates, kind of like Sombra, who has maintained low pick rates even when sheā€™s been very strong and popular in pro play.

Not really. It made her from being good at her role to nobody knowing what the hell she is supposed to be. Her kit used to synergize well. Now itā€™s all over the place and she excels at nothing

1 Like

I was actually shocked that for the first time they admit something amiright?
Not like the mercy ā€œsuccessfulā€ rework that had 13 nerfs huehuehue.

1 Like

I think its the reason she havent been pick in pro plays becasue even the pros dont kow where she fits.
Or maybe none of the pro know how to properly play her to her maximum potential, or they could just use Zarya you know hehe

1 Like

Yeah. Her kit is torn between flanker and shield buster but sheā€™s too slow to be a flanker and not near enough survivability to sit on the frontline as a shield buster.

She used to be a straight up area denial hero and I was happy with her as that. Now the game has no area denial heroes.
Shieldgen was the most fun of ult Iā€™ve ever had. She was the backbone to bunker comps

I used to put in great work with sym and now I canā€™t even enjoy the hero. She Went from my main to a hero Iā€™ll never touch again.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing Symmetra since v1.0. Her current version is the most fun in my opinion. 1.0 and 2.0 were incredibly slow paced. And no matter how much you would buff 2.0, her niche wouldā€™ve remained Point A on 2CP.

Edit: If anything, 3.0 needs a reduced CD for turrets. And possibly a faster TP deployment. Her primary feels pretty decent now

4 Likes

It always seems to come back to the auto lock.

uhā€¦ excuse me. i have like 2 hours on ana and 7 or somethink on symm this season, about 70% winrate. and symmetra 3.0 is better. but yeah she needs tweaks shes so close to feeling complete