šŸ™„ It's ironic

Heck in higher play it was used to bring back Mercyā€™s duo partner because players knew how to manage their ults and how to stagger kills.

6 Likes

Maybe so, but it also punished good coordinated pushes that just happened to kill everyone around the same time. There was no counterplay to it.

Iā€™ve gone over this dozens of times why mass rez was bad/needed changing and I can do it againā€¦ all without the ā€œfeeling dishearteningā€ argument.

7 Likes

Reaper
Dva
Mcree
Junkrat
Hanzo
Tracer
Pharah
Roadhog
Doomfist
Sigma
Wrecking Ball
Ashe

The button in question is ā€œQā€

Of course, thereā€™s always more to it than just ā€œpress button = teamkillā€. In fact, getting a 5 man kill with a single ult is phenomenally rare.

But that applied to Mercyā€™s multirez, too.

18 Likes

Balance in this game seems like itā€™s 90% feelings-based imo.

1 Like
  • Stagger deaths, so Mercy canā€™t Rez more than 1-2 at a time before timers expire
  • Harass the Mercy so she canā€™t build charge
  • Bait out rez by killing the MVP (usually the main tank) early on
  • keep an ult in your back pocket to counter Mercyā€™s ult
  • (pre-invuln only) kill Mercy after she rezzes, so her team takes their next fight crippled without their main healer
15 Likes

Meanwhile, video games exist for you to have fun and enjoy.

That aside, I think what Silawatsi is trying to say is that fun for the player playing x should be more important than the fun for the player going against player x. This also seems right in the sense that, a lot of heroes would have gotten drastically changed if Blizzard constantly responded to feedback about how x is disheartening to play against. Thankfully, theyā€™ve only ever done this for Mercy.

6 Likes

Most of these ults require either aim or help from your team and have counterplay. Mercys rez does not. You just have to press you q and you can undo all of the enemies efforts. Almost no risks or counterplay involved.

8 Likes

My lord, itā€™s been 2 years now. Why do some people still not get it?

"muh feelz" was not the only reason she was reworked.

Her gameplay was counter intuitive and incentivized poor teamplay.

And no, it doesnā€™t matter if you specifically didnā€™t to it, whatā€™s important is the fact that it promoted such tactics.

Of course it matters if sheā€™s fun to play.

And as she is on live, she is fun to play.

Problem solved. Have a nice day.

13 Likes

Iā€™d also mention that Mercy actually got a buff to mass Res (when it existed) because it was so counterable. Apparently, Mercies kept on dying right after using their ults; effectively nullifying the effects of said ult.

2 Likes

Iunprivate your profile, show me your hours on mercy, then Iā€™ll read your post without rolling my eyes.

Eh Blizzard could have phrased it better and never brought up feelings in the first place.

They sorta dug themselves into this.

Itā€™s why we STILL see ā€œX is unfun to play against!! Rework/Nerf!!ā€ On this forum.

7 Likes

Itā€™d be more accurate to say that the SR system incentivised it, along with invulnerability (which they couldā€™ve removed easily). That aside, Iā€™m pretty sure Resurrect as a whole is always going to incentivise hiding because that is one of the easiest ways to guarantee the most value out of your ultimate. That being said, in real time, we already know that this strategy flopped so much, they had to give buffs to Mercyā€™s mass Res.

2 Likes

Pretty much. When any other hero is frustrating to play against, the default response is ā€œitā€™s your own fault for [insert bad descision here]. Gitgud.ā€

But Mercy got dumpstered for being frustrating to play against when the reason why she was frustrating was split between an easily fixed exploit, and a good Mercy punishing bad gamesense/ult economy.

Now no one seems to care whether or not Mercy is fun to play, as long as she canā€™t do anything to tilt them.

11 Likes

So your solutions are to

• Purposely not do as best as you can so that mercy canā€™t res 5 people
  • Literally fight hide and seek. The fact that you bring this up means that mass rez was so good that it needed to be singled out to be stopped.
  • Hope that mercy is babysitting and that one hero on the enemy team is carrying.
  • Not use your ults to win a fight because thereā€™s going to be a second fight.
  • Let mercy mass rez.

Niceā€¦none of these are counterplay. Counterplay isnā€™t killing a hero before they use their ult. Killing a reaper before he gets off deathblossom was not counterplay, nor was spreading out so he only kills 1 or 2 people. Counterplay was stunning the reaper so his ult gets cancelled, using defense matrix or deflect to stop him from hurting you, etc. What does mass rez have like that? Nothing. She pressed Q and she got it. And even if you did kill her before she got it off, she would have it for the next fight.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s not really limited to Mercy. Every hero gets called out for being oppressive on these forums at some point. Yes, even Torb.

Mass Rez would do nothing for me because it doesnā€™t change the meat and potatoes of Mercyā€™s play. One person might not like Mercyā€™s healing output, another person might not like Mercy because she doesnā€™t get to do a whole lot of direct damage, while I personally donā€™t like it when Iā€™m expected to pocket one DPS all game - Mass Rez does nothing for those of us.

1 Like

People will always complain, especially if its something that undos their hard work.

In a way, mass rez was no different from sound barrier or transcendence in terms of denying ultimates, just that it only worked if you were dead.

I guess people got angry that they thought a secured kill wasnā€™t so secure.

And now we face the issue of snowballing because old Sym tele isnā€™t a thing, and mass rez is gone.

It just introduces much more annoying abilities like Baptistes lamp and the new Mercy rezā€¦

9 Likes

Mercy is fun to play though?

Also mass rez encouraged ā€œhideā€™nā€™rezā€ which was disengaging from the fight. This happened more often than the forum says it ā€œdidnā€™t.ā€ it shouldnā€™t comeback and mercy is fun and fine.

2 Likes

To me, mass Rez (or more accurately, multirez/tempo rezzing) was the gravy on the meat and potatoesā€¦ aka The Most Delicious thing ever.

But without the gravy, the meat and potatoes dry out and become noticably blander. Itā€™s just not as tasty without that gravy to tie all the flavors together.

1 Like

Itā€™s a pretty redundant discussion at this point. Besides, most of the Mercy mains back then have either left the character, the role, or the game as a whole at this point. She is what she is, to me personally a bleak enabler thatā€™s not particularly appreciated by the community despite the fact that her gameplay more or less sacrifices all personal glory.

6 Likes

Play with me. :3 Iā€™m bored.