It Is Literally Impossible To Climb

This is not a rant or a salty topic. Just a minor complain about how matchmaking works. Open to suggestions (unless it is; git gud, or group up before you play. I know.)

No matter what you do, this game wants you to have %50 win %50 loss. And it doesnt matter if you play good or if you get carried.

Sr gains and sr loses are random as hell. Again your performance has nearly zero impact on gained sr. And as a low rank player you can’t climb. It is out of your control.

I have played many ranked multiplayer games before. But this one game… I have no idea what to do anymore. I can’t solve it.

I really wonder how many people can rank up in this game… I mean what is the ratio… I have been in the same rank all along. So I am sure as hell I have developed some skills, (I bought the game on june/2018) but it seems that i havent, according to matchmaking system… Absurd.

I have win streaks I climb then boom, lose streak and I am back where I started… I can give so many examples from other games that your actual “skill” matters…

What i am trying to say is playing really good in a lost game should mean something. I know medals mean nothing. Then bring some stats that will give you some compensation SR when we lose…

Thank you for listening. I am once again taking a long break away from the game. My sanity can’t handle it anymore :upside_down_face: And obviously you can’t force anybody to play the DAMN objective… :grimacing:

Take care you all. I hope some of you rank up, somewhere…

25 Likes

If this is what you’re basing everything on, you’ve based everything on an incorrect assumption.

The game tries to give you a match where both teams have a roughly 50% chance - an even match, in other words.

If you shift that even a little bit (because you improved yourself, for instance) then your chances of winning go up - and not linearly, which is why the matchmaker aims for 50% in the first place. Even a little disparity can shift the odds dramatically in your favor.

9 Likes

Quit after 2 losses and play some arcade for a bit then go back to ranked. Usually will fix losing streaks. If you’re plat or below mainly play one hero unless you’re countered them switch. Pbsr favors people who primarily play one hero. Sort of like gambling, if you’re up a decent amount, dont get too greedy and stop playing. A slow climb is better than constant win loss streaks

5 Likes

So artificially trying to force a 50 50 and failing? Pairing lower skilled players with high skilled players statistically to force the 50 50?

3 Likes

No, trying to create as even a match as possible (50%-50% both sides) and allowing people to prove that they deserve a higher rank.

That’s entirely different from the game trying to keep you at a certain rank.

1 Like

I’m not sayimg keep you at a certain rank. I’m saying the matchmaker fails at it’s assigned task of forcing a fair match.

Any system that tries to force a 50 50 which no system can do. Is flawed at it’s core.

6 Likes

I’ve climbed 300SR in the past couple days, hopefully going to hit plat soon, didnt think i’d get this far when i was back in bronze haha. guess it’s possible after all.

EDIT: in support, just broke 2400 last night

2 Likes

…but that’s the thing, it’s not trying to “force” anything - it’s trying to find even matches. That’s the precise reason that people complain about long queue times. If it didn’t care and just threw Gold against GMs, matches would be instantaneous. If it tried to “force” an even match by adding up the numbers on both sides, it’d be nearly as instantaneous.

It’s trying to find an even match where each player’s skill is as close to the other 11, as far as it’s able to tell. If you’re better than it thinks you are, you’ll climb easily.

1 Like

You are correct it is possible to overcome the matchmaker. Good job.

4 Likes

Creating a fair match and forcing even teams goes hand in hand.

Now your analogy about gold and gm is just ridiculous. All players are masters check. Create match. It’s that simple. Nothing else is needed.

4 Likes

Well done, congrats! Keep going!

2 Likes

Its possible to climb. I climbed from 2400 to the 2900s this season and I’ll probably hit diamond soon. Legit just focus on your game, quit after 2 losses, and grind it out tbh

1 Like

Game doesnt want that. You have it because you are where you belong.

4 Likes

People misunderstand the 50% win rate thing so much. It’s conditional. If everyone’s SR is an accurate representation of their skill level, then each team has a 50% chance to win. If you’ve improved and everyone else’s SR is correct, you have a greater than 50% chance to win depending on how much you’ve improved. The randomness comes from real life - maybe someone has a headache, or they’re distracted, or they’re fiending on red bull, or they’re just having a lucky day with headshots; it is impossible for the matchmaker to know these things and it is unreasonable for you to expect it to compensate for them.

1 Like

The OP nails the issue with OW perfectly.

And of course, iloveyou goes to the extreme saying that the alternative is to just toss GMs with Golds, lol.

How about toss golds vs golds, completely random, and see what happens?

7 Likes

This is where you’re mistaken. MMR is the actual representation of skill. SR is supposed to follow MMR. MMR is used to create perfect mirrors. The tanks have similar MMR to their counterpart but not necessarily to each other, etc. So if you have a gold tank and a diamond tank one one team and two platinum tanks on the other team, MMR has determined one of those plats plays at a gold level and the other plays at a diamond. Or alternatively that the gold and diamond tanks play at a plat level.

While that being possible, depending on how the MMR data is structured, it would need dev confirmation because that does not seem to match real world experience. Occam’s razor says it’s just the SR averaging.

I’ve had seasons end with a nearly 70percent win rate, it’s how I went from Silver to Plat

3 Likes

thanks, i did keep going, plat now lol

i literally just climbed. it is very possible if i can do it.

EDIT: Bear in mind this wasn’t a steady climb, it involved several drops back to 2100 but hey - focusing on my own survival meant i was losing less than 20 SR per loss and gaining from 23-30SR (some games I was pretty carried - my team simply didn’t take much damage, and they killed the other team as fast as i could toss out discord orbs so not a lot of damage done either - not quite as many as the games i was stomped in, but hey, if i did better some of the close wins would have been stomps too)

3 Likes

Way to go, bud! Maybe I’ll see you on my teams one of these nights.

2 Likes