It’s not just no one playing Tanks, no one even talks Tanks anymore

Yea cuz obviously there was no double barrier before sigma
sigh
You need to rethink that position. Once again cause effect. Cause: excessive burst damage, effect: Teams need barriers for battles to last longer than 1 second.

1 Like

They kinda blocked out the possibility of something like GOATs.
Move Mei to the Tank role, and make DoubleBarrier into a cheese comp, and then Tankiest comp you could run would be like Rein/Zarya/Reaper/Torb/Lucio/Moira

Or maybe Rein/Zarya/Reaper/Torb/Brig/Baptiste

Hi, former tank main with a Sigma otp account that peaked in masters and roughly 500 total hours across multiple accounts on Reinhardt and Orisa, and roughly 300ish with other tanks.

Playing tank is a miserable experience and main tanks are boring outside of when you ult.
They aren’t fun.
And everyone knows it.

As a flex tank player I’m just done with it. Why even bother trying to have a discussion about the tanks when it leads to absolutely nothing? The devs will stay dense af and refuse to essentially remove Sigma’s barrier so we wouldn’t have double barriers meta anymore and could actually balance barrier heroes like Orisa properly. That’s literally the issue in the tank role right now: Sigma is just a better version of D.va and we already played Orisa/D.va before Sigma’s release

It’s just that they do a lot of good for the role like buffing Hog to where he is right now so he isn’t the worst hero in the game, but at the same time they mess up stuff like Rein/Sigma all the time

1 Like

Any thoughts on something like this? I’ve been trying to solve the multiple issues with Tanks for months. And think I got a pretty good balance change mix this time.

TLDR; DoubleBarrier is always going to be the best comp at medium/long range, so give it a close range weakness, more peel for offtanks and more sustain for offtanks, with a team Bionade cleanse for Hog.

[✅] Abbreviated Tank Changes

You’ve addressed the symptom, and made it worse, not the reason why double barrier is so strong.
People will just stack these newer stronger barriers because it’s just a buffed version of what we currently have. There’s no actual solution.
Damage and healing is the problem. It’s power crept to the point that stepping outside of cover without being pumped full of an ungodly amount of healing with barriers to protect you is basically a death sentence. It’s why Winston is so bad right now, because without a dedicated dive peeling for him while he gets in, and lands, he just gets mobbed in most scenarios.
Damage is far too high.
Healing, in general, is busted to make up for people taking unnecessary damage, giving the incorrect idea that people should view tanks as protectors, and supports as people who fix mistakes.
Damage and healing values feel relative to a PvE game instead of a PvP game.

2 Likes

Maybe I should have made it more obvious how much of a close range weakness we’re talking about here.

(I.e. 30% more damage on armor from rapidfire/shotguns, weaker fortify, no lasting cc on halt/accretion, no tempHP on grasp).

Burning through two barriers at range was never going to be a viable option, regardless of how strong the barriers are.

Sounds like you’ll be neutering tanks so they’re defenseless.

I like to think of it as making AnchorTanks dependant on offtanks and dps/healers to provide them close range peels.

That they actually have a weakness that you can’t cover up with two anchortanks.

Also Dive and Rushdown comps are all about getting into close range.

On the flipside, yeah, AnchorTanks are stronger at medium/long rand. But you were never going to burn through 2 barriers at medium/long range anyways.

A pretty bad idea.
I understand that this is a team game, but forcing someone to be reliable on others and making them worthless in duels isn’t a good way to go about it.
Getting near tanks shouldn’t be a good idea without a full backing of at least another person.

1 Like

Well, they could make it so Orisa and Sigma do almost no damage to enemy barriers.

Otherwise, I’ve been looking at this issue for 9 months, and the only other types of solutions are 1x Barrier per team, a strong debuff if you got 2x barriers, or buffing the crap out of offtanks.

But really, if 2 AnchorTank can cover all of their weaknesses compared to other Tanks. Why would you ever not use DoubleBarrier?

I saw, it took a lot of scrolling to get there, and you got an upvote from me. That was part of why I made this thread.

1 Like

Making tanks fun to play is difficult, and blizz sure didnt succeed

There are tanks that are fun though, they’re just not effective at the same time.

2 Likes

The frustrating thing with tank is that there are not very many good anti-air and anti-dive options.

All of the good tools are in the support/dps roles. ALright guys, I’ve got hitscan and sigma on lock down, can like 2 of you go anti-pharah or stop playing mercy/lucio/ana and getting your butts wooped by a genji?

Just remove Sigma’s shield. Why does he need one? He’s already a better D.Va but why does he need a shield? He has his black hole thingy, long range balls, a stun rock… Seems like a complete kit to me. Remove his shield.

I like orisa and think she’s the best barrier tank for the game. And that off tanks are more crucial to have good tanking than barrier tanks.

I think rein should be niche. I think rein and Moira have the same skill level.

No I freaking don’t talk about tanks. I get flagged. I gave up.

1 Like

Genji and Moira flood. Still about 5 or 6 front page posts regarding tanks.

ok here’s the basic breakdown.

you play DPS if you want to have fun.

you play support if you like babysitting and trying to micromanage others.

you play tank if you find Microsoft Excel exciting.

Probably goes in hand with the fact that the role has the lowest player count. What is there to talk about anymore? We all know the role is miserable to play, and we’ve all shared our ideas to fix the issues.