Is the Overwatch we want different from what the devs want?

The devs don’t really care about our frustrations sadly…

If they did, they wouldn’ve have introduced Ashe…

1 Like

Which is actually really dumb when you think about it because those 2 things are totally counter intuitive.

7 Likes

The game the OW devs wanted is fundamentally incompatible with the Ranking system they created. The ranking system has always compared players to other players of the same hero, at least up to Diamond, so spreading oneself out over multiple heroes is counterproductive.

They may have wanted a game where players dabble in multiple roles and heroes but the game is designed to reward One Tricking so many players will naturally play that way.

Similarly, they do most of their balancing with 2-2-2 in mind yet they leave compositions completely open which has led to them having to break heroes in 2-2-2 to prevent them from being overeffective in off-kilter “creative” comps.

I don’t know where the disconnect between ideology and execution is but the game Blizzard has wanted to make has never once been the game they were making.

7 Likes

This 100%. I also can’t seem to understand why they don’t, can’t or won’t see these problems which are incredibly obvious to us.

The only thing I can think is that they dont actually play the game? I know they say they do, but how can you play the game and not fix the issues that everyone else has so clearly laid out for you time and time again?

5 Likes

If “Overwatch 2” comes to be a PvE with stories/missions modes it’ll be easier to balance and funnier to play…

Yeah.

It’s honestly amazing that they managed to copy so much from TF2 without seeing the maining problem coming.

I’m not sure Ashe was that bad of a call at most skill levels.

The game was also designed with the ability to stack heroes. It’s easier to force swapping/change the match via swapping if you can dump 2+ people on one hero.

Ashe was the least necessary hero we needed in this game and the devs knew that.
She was literally, “HEY that NPC looks cool! Let’s maker her into a hero!”

If the devs really cared, they would’ve restrained themselves from fanboying over a concept art and made a hero that was actually necessary for the game and the community.

4 Likes

2 words - Moth meta.

3 Likes

You just gave me shivers

1 Like

I seriously think they took up HEAVY drinking. It is also why I don’t think we will see another Mercy rebuild. They don’t have the therapists requires for the team to even look at it without some of them breaking down in tears.

4 Likes

Hahahahahaha I love this.

I also think this. I picture someone in the office saying “Lets balance Mercy” and then everyone hiding under their desks in the fetal position

3 Likes

You KNOW it is true.

1 Like

The sheer delusion to call Overwatch “rushed”…
Every time I play this game, I appreciate the staggering amount of effort that went into making Overwatch the highest quality FPS ever made. Blizzard probably spent more money making a single hero for Overwatch than you will make in your entire life.

Amazing insight.

2 Likes

You know what people love, and what this game really needs? Another sniper!

Slow claps ensue.

They could make maps a little bit larger and lock 2/3DPS/2 or 2/4DPS/2 so you have tanks and supports but also DPS with short queue times. It would be fun too.

Imagine diving with Winston, D.Va, Genji, Tracer, Soldier, Lucio and Mercy. Or even add/change Sombra in that…

Overwatch with limited guaranteed amount of Tanks and Supports to help enable the DPS and not replace them (specially in the competitive scene)

round 2007, he started work on Blizzard’s next venture into the MMO — massive multiplayer online game — world, a game called “Titan.”

“Titan” was not-so-secretly in development for about seven years, but before Blizzard could even officially announce its existence, it was cancelled in September 2013. In November 2014, Blizzard announced its brand-new multiplayer shooter, “Overwatch.” It was assembled — at least in part — from the remains of “Titan.”

Yearly cod games have a 3 year development cycle .
Overwatch had 1.

1 Like

Do you seriously think Blizzard was just working for 7 years on making Furby-Runescape and scrapped the whole thing and made Overwatch from scratch in a year? Even if they did, would it matter?

Do you seriously think COD games have a sliver of the quality of Overwatch? What’s the point of this comparison?

You can dislike Overwatch as a game, but to call any part of the game rushed, low-quality, or low-effort is completely delusional.

Since the companies merged I don’t know if there is much of a difference between cod devs and overwatch devs. They’ve also worked together on some aspects of overwatch.
h ttps://www.gamesradar.com/overwatch-controls-aim-assist-call-of-duty/

Now from Jeff’s own interview he said they restarted from scratch basically. If you want a call Jeff a liar I won’t call you delusional but I also can’t say that you know better than him.

IF they did start from scratch (off course they had most the assets already) and they didn’t have FPS experience 1 year really does seem like a very short time to make the game.

We did from the start. The devs know this

Not since about Mercy’s rework

This has been already started. Universally viable heroes and less niche comps is the whole overall goal for the game :woman_shrugging:t5::woman_shrugging:t5:

Deep as the ocean, wide as a puddle.

3 Likes