Is The Game Better Off Without Sombra?

She can no more be buffed out of F tier than Bastion

i don’t know, how was it with sombra?

I read all of your post, all I want to ask is this: why is it okay for Hanzo to be able to one shot 70% of the games roster from ALL ranges, with a large hitbox on his projectile, but it’s not okay for a hero to have something that can disable abilities but still give you a chance to interrupt and counter play? It a Hanzo is good, you just die. If a Sombra is good, you have to click on her to fight back. Why is it okay to look at the respawn timer but not actually play?

1 Like

Characters like…Sombra?

I do get where you’re coming from though. I hate Widowmaker, Hanzo and Junkrat because they deny what I consider fun aspects of the game.
I tell myself that hack isn’t that horrible of a debuff…or maybe I am also just a scumbag who gets off on ruining other peoples’ day

…ok… You can say the same thing if zarya bubbles a hacked Mei… And your still killed as sombra.

For one thing, Hanzo actually has the smallest projectile hitbox in the game.

Second, it requires aim. Great aim and prediction actually. Whereas hack has a lock on. Third he can’t turn invisible, get behind whatever shield or cover you’re using or should be using, and then do it. And fourth, all heroes can kill. That’s not the same as making the time when you’re alive suck.

Spitting in sombras general direction breaks hack and puts it on cd for 2s…in which you can fire a lot more shots and do it again.

That should negate any complaining about it having a BUGGY AF lock since that last patch

1 Like

Yes, all heroes can kill, but 2 heroes can do it instantly from any range. And season 10 is widely considered one of the worst competitive seasons because of the prevalence of Hanzo+Zarya and two-snipers.

Go into training and take a look. That Dev post is downright false. Hanzo’s projectile is quite large. imgur/GwMvJkv.jpg

Honestly.
I am sad to say, i do have to say yes.
I still respect sombra mains for sticking with her.
But this hero was an utter disaster, from day 1 - today.
She has taken up so much time money blood sweat tears effort, for no reward, and blizzard and the sombra mains can never agree, somehow blizzard just can’t get her right sadly.
I bet, that if Jeff, or Geoff, or whoever from the dev team, had a chance to go back in time and tell them to re-think sombra, at least 90% would do so.

Wait.
Did geoff make a grammar mistake in

If yes, Cool, i can relate to him now :3

Sombra in my personal opinion is a much needed addition to the cast.

With her being one of the highest skilled heroes (at least in my opinion) she’ll be as close to the meta as Ana. Hanzo will most likely be here until he gets toned down.

I’ve been to training. I know the size. It’s the smallest projectile in the game. Widow doesn’t have projectiles but she also gets a scope and doesn’t have to lead her targets. Now try with mercy’s blaster and look how big those projectiles are.

Besides, dealing with snipers is usually a matter of using shields and cover. That doesn’t work for someone invisible who can get behind.

But that’s just propaganda /s

We need to be sure we’re clear here: hitscan is still a projectile, it just travels in the same server tick as when you pull the trigger. If you prefer, I’ll just use the term “weapon”. Hanzo’s weapon hitbox is very large, and proof of this is when you can clearly see the arrow pass your field of vision yet still hit you.

That being said, you act as if the instant a Sombra is behind you, you’re instantly hacked. And you act like being instantly hacked means you can do nothing. You have an opportunity - a half second, actually - to turn around and fight her BEFORE the hack goes off, and then the time to fight her with none of your abilities. You have opportunity to stop the hack AND kill Sombra, all by being a player with good awareness and skilled. Meanwhile, Hanzo’s only counterplay is “stand behind a shield” which, by the way, he’ll break faster than all but a few other heroes.

So, I ask again: how are you okay with a hero that can instantly kill, thus you’re doing nothing for ten seconds, but have a problem with not being able to get abilities for 6 seconds and you have significant opportunities to fight back?

1 Like

Half a second is not enough time much of the time. Human reaction time takes up about half of that by itself.

Second hitscan is not a projectile. It has no travel time whatsoever. It’s just a line. A line is drawn. What the line intersects is hit. It’s very different. And stop with trying to argue that Hanzos arrow is large. You aren’t even arguing with me on that. You are arguing with the dev that sets that sort of thing. Your also not taking into account latency effects or the fact that head hitboxes are bigger than the heads.

And lastly , I garauntee you that I can get more hacks per game than say widow headshots. One takes skill. The other doesn’t. You can keep asking the same question about a bad comparison if you want, but you should really start listening to the answers.

Half a second is not enough time much of the time. Human reaction time takes up about half of that by itself.

…okay, so you have .6 seconds to just DAMAGE her and then you’re not hacked. Even if you take into account the “human reaction takes half that”, you still have plenty of time to prevent the hack.

Second hitscan is not a projectile. It has no travel time whatsoever. It’s just a line. A line is drawn. What the line intersects is hit. It’s very different. And stop with trying to argue that Hanzos arrow is large. You aren’t even arguing with me on that. You are arguing with the dev that sets that sort of thing. Your also not taking into account latency effects or the fact that head hitboxes are bigger than the heads.

No, hitscan is not projectile, but it still FIRES SOMETHING. A straight line that travels its full distance in a single server tick, something is still being fired. Which is why I said I’ll just use the terminology of “weapon”. Further, I shared an image (until I get level 2? 3?, I can’t link directly) that shows just how much larger Hanzo’s weapon’s hitbox is than Widows.

I don’t care who I’m arguing with, you, the Devs, Ghandi. The Devs have been wrong about a LOT of things before - there’s a reason we don’t have nearly the same kind of information for OW as we do something like WOW and Starcraft, other Blizzard games, and that’s because so much less is tracked in OW (not entirely sure why). We have dozens of undocumented changes that exist in OW - Sombra’s Translocator being heard from like 20 meters away, for example - and we have literally no official resource that tells us the cooldown time, hitbox size, spread size, etc. of any heroes, we just have a Wiki that’s occasionally out of date.

The devs are wrong. I’ve tested time and time and time again in the training facility - Hanzo’s hitbox is massive. I took the time to compare with Mei, Genji, McCree, and Soldier - Hanzo’s is 2nd largest, next to Mei’s. Other heroes’ bullet spread is too wide, providing inconsistent results, but it’s not hard to clearly see that the Devs haven’t even bothered to update us, the community, on what state a hero is in.

And lastly , I garauntee you that I can get more hacks per game than say widow headshots. One takes skill. The other doesn’t. You can keep asking the same question about a bad comparison if you want, but you should really start listening to the answers.

You’re right - it does take skill to get a headshot. But what’s the counterplay? You haven’t answered that question this entire discussion. The answer you’ve given is “stand behind shields”. Okay, so I’m behind a shield, the shield gets shattered by a Mercy-Damage-Boosted Hanzo + anything else (because Hanzo + damage boost takes 2 Arrows and 1 volley of Storm Arrows to do all but 29 damage to an Orisa shield, and nearly half to a Rein shield), now what? Oh I do nothing. Because there’s zero counterplay to it aside from hiding behind a shield for 3 seconds that almost immediately gets destroyed.

Or I can go invis, go past my own front line, put myself at huge risk of being one-shotted or detected, try to get a hack off on the opposing Reinhardt or healer, or perhaps one-clip a Zen, and then my team can attempt to initiate…

Except one of the healers or DPS was one-shotted by a Hanzo or Widow because they have no shield and zero counterplay.

1 Like

Haha. Of course Hanzo’s arrows were second largest in that comparison. You picked 2 hitscan heroes plus Mei and Genji. Mei would be largest, Hanzo and Genji tie for second, and hitscan is a completely different animal. They have no hitbox, but also no travel time. Stop comparing hitscan to projectiles.

I also love how you say 0.3 s is plenty of time to damage Sombra. That’s 0.3 s to aim, shoot, travel time if it’s a projectile and deal with lag. Oh and that’s assuming you aren’t someone like Reinhardt or Winston that can’t actually reach her at all if she’s got half a brain and stays out of range.

I love that you say Sombra is at extreme risk while invisible and with an instant escape button. That’s laughable. And by the Orisa gets her shields pretty quickly. It’s not that hard to hide behind cover for a couple seconds. As for Rein, he shouldn’t stand out in the open until he has no shield. He should duck in and out of cover to regen it when possible and you should follow his lead.

Your post is hilarious, but I much rather deal with snipers than hack. I don’t know why you keep trying to persuade me that I shouldn’t.

Preach.

I legitimately don’t understand how we keep reinforcing the idea that if it isn’t easy to play or isn’t easy to fight it’s bad. I used to hate the phrase get good – but damn, people, get good. If you’re a bad player, that’s not our fault.

1 Like

An even matchup except that she has an escape button and she could be standing outside of your range. Yeah that sounds even.

It’s not even close to even because Sombra almost can’t lose. If she get’s into trouble she just translocates. Also a Rein or Winston can’t even reach her if she positioned herself wisely before hacking. That’s not even mentioning the fact that she could easily have the high ground.

I think being dead to heroes with zero counterplay is better than not being able to use my abilities for a few seconds and also having plenty of time to kill the hero that took away my abilities through superior left clicks.

A hacked hero is worse than a dead hero, according to you, and that’s that. Nevermind that Tracer still can one-clip a Sombra, or Hanzo can one-shot, or Zen can two-shot, or McCree can two-shot, or… etc. after being hacked. If they have no abilities, they’re worth less than being dead. That’s a dumb opinion.

You have .3 seconds to react and .3 seconds to damage - people whip to heads on McCree in less time than that consistently. Sombra has nearly two seconds or more for people to counterplay - .6 seconds for the hack and the extra time to just shoot her, and yet the game is “better off” without her because you aren’t capable of winning that fight. Very lame.

1 Like