Is Role Queue still necessary?

shanghai dragons proved that goats had a counter , and that it could be countered. especially since most of the heroes in the comp were considered weak then. and I believe now that you can run skydive AGAISNT goats and come out on top. (skydive is pharah , echo , mercy and a combination of dive tanks and a support that isn’t Moira or bap)

but I still prefer role que

It wasn’t just to be anti-goats, it was to stop the fiasco of 5 stack DPS every second game.

4 Likes

which is what 90% of my open que games look like. im sure some people qued in open que comp as a lark to play tanks on purpose thinking they would totally own but outside of that its mostly 5 dps 1 mercy.

5 Likes

not at all

for example, I can assure you that while I greatly prefer prime grade steak over hamburger, my actual consumption of beef leans overwhelmingly towards hamburger

Popularity/preference is not at all the same as usage, and its measurements are not done the same way

That aside, is the data you were referring to the data I described?

1 Like

So you want to turn it on/off depending on if 3/3 and 3/1/2 comps are dominating the META in the current state of the game?

Sounds rather messy to me.

Also most people seem to prefer Role Q over Open Q and for those who don’t Open Q is still available.

It isn’t really a question of necessity to have Role Q in the game, but more like there is not a single good reason to go back to only having the Open Q option.

Pick your poison and simply let others play the mode they prefer :woman_shrugging:

It depends. In the stake example, if they cost the same, I’m sure that your consumption would be different.

In the case of open queue vs role queue, the main differentiator is personal preference. There’s no “cost” difference and if anything role queue queue time being longer would be a deterrent. So, if it’s played more often that would indicate a preference.

6 Likes

The game simply isn’t able to be balanced around an open queue system anymore. Anyone saying other wise is being disingenuous.

We had to move to 1HL, then 222 over time being that’s the only way to even have a chance at balance. Even then on some level it still seems an overwhelming task for Blizzard’s dev team given the nature of the game. Never mind the huge range of players from bronze to a pro league.

The only issue with RQ is DPS queue times and I still question why people just seem to default to their main’s MMR in off roles.

1 Like

I got top 500 with 3100 sr on open from two seasons ago.
the best part, I played 50 games and around 35 to 40 of those games I have had 3+ dps (I would pick roadhog if we have one healer or zarya lmfao)
People defend OQ with short que times, I used to get a game in like 4 to 8 mins in OQ not much of a difference in RQ honestly lmfao.

4 Likes

As opposed to the two tanks who are probably farming tickets now and picking hog and ball? Ya that’s really making this game fun.

RQ didn’t really change anything at all just made people more demanding on what you play.

1 Like

Yeah it’s still necessary. Open queue proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that role queue is necessary.

5 Likes

well thats a tank balance, and Ticket restriction (only getting one for a loss) issue, not a role queue issue

If i got more than 1 ticket for a loss i would be insentivised to actually play regardless of win or lose, instead of just going for the quickest match possible regardless of outcome

Role Q has major issues in every aspect. and so does Open Q.

• Im playing this role because I couldn’t stand to wait a long line. So I really don’t care about the outcome of the match.
  • Im playing this role because I want a shorter Q time, but I am AWFUL at the Role.

The role is filled. but it doesn’t mean you are going to receive a “quality” team mate. IMO Role Q has turned up the toxicity even more. Since players now expect alot more out of their teams.

1 Like

thats a matchmaking issue, not a role Q issue,

if they dealt with smurfs and tuned the MMR/SR values correctly it wouldn’t be a problem

1 Like

yes, bc it also solved a lot of things on ladder.

1 Like

I kinda want to say no, it isn’t “necessary”

It’s convenient to have but only to a point, I’m just not sure removing it would make the game any better. There’s benefits to both sides

Well Role Queue would have been better if they actually did balancing for the short while before they took off to do OW2.

These things are never actually planned out so they end up becoming issues due to incompetency.

2 Likes

In both case, that person’s MMR plummets playing with the other bad people. It just depends upon if you believe the match making system or not. BS or facts, that choice is completely made on faith since Blizzard holds all the information and up to us to see if we trust them or not.

My level of satisfaction with the game ahs gone way up because I never have to play into BS compositions like 6 supports, 4 tanks, 3 DPS, etc. I don’t care that it happened seldom. I simply care now that it NEVER happens again.

Even if people play nothing except hog/zarya tank power level has plummeted that even they feel fine to play with.

Yes.
Open Queue and qpc are the worst, 4 or 5 dps.
Role q is great, maybe we just need more tanks and supports so the dps queues can be less DS.

i only play those roles for shorter Q times. Tbh if its a longer way time than 3 minutes to a dps pool. i’d rather just Q tank or healer and see the match fold quickly, so I can collect my xp and move on. Could care less about tanking and healing.

Im not the only one whom has this opinion. “im only a healer or tank for these reasons”. Essentially you get the pool of “i could care less”. filling those roles.

Well before they put the tickets down to 1 for a loss instead of 2 i used to happily tank and try my best, because it diddn’t matter, if i lost i still saved time

because average DPS wait is 10 mins, or 5 with a pass, so 2 passes is 10 minutes queue time saves

now… why would i even bother trying drawing out a game that could last 30 mins on a role i don’t enjoy to save 5 mins in queue?.. i might as well just wait the queue time of 10 minutes for a DPS slot and that saves me 20 minutes on the pass system

blizzard doesn’t understand cost benefit analysis