Is Role Queue still necessary?

I’m not mourning, I’m celebrating its return.

1 Like

LOL yes - its returning :roll_eyes:

Horses are coming back into style for conveyance as well.

Why is this funny? It is literally back in the game on the main Comp screen. How could you miss it?

But the game is balanced around 2-2-2 and OWL is not using it. It’s there as a “gimmeh”. I understand bitter dead-enders will always pine for OQ, its understandable.

Good enough for me. Could care less about OWL.

Just be sure to know its not taken very seriously now.

No problem. It’s a computer game that I play for fun.

I mean, there’s both role queue and open queue now so I don’t see why we have to only have one or the other?

here you go!

1 Like

There is still varierty in 2-2-2.

To me open queue is nonesense and too random. The game is more about navigating chaos and luck rather than testing players in clear sets of skills to determine what makes a good player.

It works in an actual team environment because people discuss things beforehand and during the match. However this isn’t the case for an open ladder.

Like I said earlier, open queue is still available to those who enjoy it but it’s not going to become the official mode of the game again.

3 Likes

Some people don’t seem to be able to handle that not everyone agrees with them when it comes to personal preferences.

Hence Role Queue has to be removed since they take it as a “personal attack” that so many people play the mode which they don’t like :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Its fine as is as there is the option for open queue or role queue, if it was either or I would say one or the other, but since the option for both exists, its fine as is.

Appreciate that, thanks. I think its interesting that he states that having x number of each role is what makes it easier to balance as opposed to 222 with Bridget as the example.

However, in the official video 5 months later he clarified this:

Thoughts?

1 Like

Huh… Maybe they thought that overwatch the game would be easier to balance for on a match level with some kind of roleQ, but the heroes themselves wouldn’t be any easier, since you end up with just as much work there.

So, +1 for match consistency, which helps to balance overall, but, heroes are still a pain in the booty?

Personally, I think the Brig situation is a pretty interesting one.

They had a hero which was wildly OP in some situations (with more supports), and they couldn’t make them viable in normal situations, with less supports.

It looks a lot like Sombra’s problem, where she is strong in OWL, but, a bit awful on ladder, and the fix to make her work on ladder would make her broken as hell in OWL.

Mei is in a similar situation.

Anyway, thanks for the link! It is interesting as hell, and I’ll go watch all of it.

1 Like

I know of no valid data to support this claim

the statement I originally replied to originally remains an opinion, not a fact

I’d like to see some data on this as well, but that aside, I prefer a different experience every time I play, as that provides for a more exciting, less boring experience

I find it quite a bit more exciting and certainly a better demonstration of one’s skill to adapt to the circumstances you are presented with when those circumstances are far less predictable, which is how it is in role-less queue mode

Its possible, but I would say its iffy given all the problems it has added to the game and all the dev time (time = money) that Blizzard has poured in to merely bandaid a few of the many severe problems that 222 has added to the game.

at some point most for profit enterprises pull the plug on items that are simply a bigger problem/moneyhole than they wish to deal with

1 Like

“Delusion”
Convince yourself!..

(insert Jinkx’s gif here)

not at all

you absolutely can

prior to 222 infesting the game, the game was balanced for all characters, regardless of team composition

It was before, and it can be again

1 Like

Jeff posted statistics of most played gamemodes for the different regions a while back. Open queue is more popular in APAC, but most still played role lock.

You want data to explain that a system that always gives you 2 tanks, 2 damage and 2 supports adds more consistency than a system that randomly puts together 6 people with no regard to what they prefer to play?

3 Likes

Absolutely untrue. It was never balanced.
A shield is less powerful VS 6DPS than it is VS 1 DPS, purely because of damage numbers. You cannot have a shield be equally effective in both situations.

The exact same is true of it being harder to heal your team if there’s 1 healer VS 2 healers. DPS are also harder to heal over big chunky tanks, as they die faster. OQ was basically unbalancable.

All those problems were removed by 222, since it made the team comp a reliable size and composition.

2 Likes

Yes and no. It has a lot of positive stuff like not having 5 dps and a support, and making sure you overall got an average composition.

But it does limit your creativity and ignores the problems tanks have that made them reach the meta in the first place.

I’m glad they made open queue and role queue as 2 options. But now they just ignore the tank problems completely and going for random changes cus why not.

So I hope this answers your question.

1 Like