Is Role Queue still necessary?

The many you refer to is still the minority compared to the entire community.

Sure it might be a matter of preference, but 2-2-2 makes for a more consistent experience, that is a fact. I’d argue conistency is one of the most important things for a competitive experience.

It tests a different and more clear set of skills compared to open queue.

Open queue is still available as an alternative to those who enjoy it but 2-2-2 is very likely going to remain the official main mode.

1 Like
  • Yes, they did, otherwise tanks were either too powerful or too weak depending on team comp. You cant balance for both at the same time.
  • Your opinion, 100% not mine.
  • cool
  • not everyone uses LFG, so problem not solved.

Well, if most people were playing 222, it seems sensible to make it official and solve the problems i mentioned too :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I found it best addition to the game, before that it was anarchy with 6dps and Hanzo+Widow who always missed. Now I actually enjoy QP.

1 Like

I think role queue is the best thing they have done in the game in a while. They still have open queue for people who want that option. For people doubting experiences:

I tried open queue ranked again and did all placements for curiosity sake. Same exact thing happened 8 out of the 10 games: 4 to 5 DPS, and I’m left asking if I should solo heal the entire team or solo tank. Then when we get steam rolled people actually have the audacity to yell at me saying I’m not healing them enough or tanking good enough for 5 dps. Not joking. I quit shortly after for open queue. Not sure how people deal with this.

1 Like

I had exactly the same experience.
5 DPS, I pick a Tank and everyone starts accusing me of throwing and people demand that I pick Mercy to enable their 5 DPS comp or they would report me :joy:

The next games where a bit more “tame” (at least nobody threatened to report me again), but people still didn’t give a single damn about the team comp and literally played 6 vs 6 death match :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah it’s pretty silly. I’m just wondering when these flex comps actually work out. I’m guessing when the 4 or 5 DPS aren’t terrible, maybe diamond and up or something.

Not sure how necessary it really is, but for personal preference, I’d like it to stay. I like that I’ll always have a co-healer and tank. I don’t miss the old days at all when 3-4 DPS teams were commonplace. The only reason I bothered to play ranked in the past was because there would always be at least one member from each role on my team and now that it’s guaranteed in quickplay, I don’t have to care about ranked anymore.

As you correctly stated this is a matter of personal preference. I see 222 as being consistently boring. The consistency point has never made much sense to me because you could make the game much more consistent if you limited everybody to playing soldier 76. Variety and diversity are equally if not more important.

In regards to hero balance? Where did they say that?

Jeff said it isn’t but basic math says it is.

5-6 DPS and mostly snipers in QP right now, I’m pretty sure if you let people sabotage themselves they will do it with a smile.

1 Like

You know better than the lead developer?

I can do math, its easy to prove.

I see 5 DPS + 1 healer with no coordination the same way :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

You should apply for a position at Blizzard.

I very rarely got that.

Never forget Jeff’s background is in the arts, not science.

For the sake of every support: yes.

I’m sure he’s qualified for his job and has an understanding of basic mathematics.

This is worth a watch:

https://www.ign.com/videos/2018/01/24/jeff-kaplan-on-competitive-hero-balance-in-overwatch-ign-expert-mode

Don’t be so sure. Look, its just basic math. Playtesting against 6 random characters with every possibility is harder than in limited pairs of two per role. I am too lazy to break out the math, its been done dozens of time. Jeff’s opinion does not overrule basic math. You are of course free to believe what Jeff tells you, I think he’s flat out wrong. it does in some ways, but the math bears up that its just more complex ultimately with more holes in it for people to discover.

Show me the “basic math”.

Less possible combinations doesn’t automatically equal better balance.

This is borne out by reality. Post-RQ is no better balanced than Pre-RQ.

I just explained it to you. I suggest you go read up on basic statistics.

Jeff’s thinking is - well, the more characters I have the more things ‘even out’. True if the selection of one set vs another is large enough. But when you have a measly 32 to pick from, then reduce it down to a 6 v 6, that premise starts to fall apart fast.

Anyhow, its been year now, the period of mourning the demise of OQ is now starting to look passe. Time to move on. For the foreseeable future if not permanently, the game is 2-2-2 format, take it or leave it.