Is Role Queue still necessary?

Its under Arcade - Ranked Open Queue

It was so small they couldn’t find it I guess.

1 Like

its from april 2020.

The one I’m seeing is from April 2019.

They will try to argue that it could have changed from then. WHILE providing no proof what so ever than it has.

:slight_smile: its april 2020. besides, open queue wasnt a thing in 2019

1 Like

I never said I have stronger evidence (about popularity). At all. I said your 2019 evidence is biased (you put it together yourself) and doesn’t hold up. You’ll have to do better, since that’s the ‘More popular’ argument is the only thing 222 has going for it.

Please link your best evidence here for the sake of completion.
I highly doubt any of it is relevant to 2021 or official/authoritative.

Meanwhile, open wins the battle of the models because:

• It doesn’t care about role popularity, which is varying.
  • It better aligns supply/demand mismatch for an arbitrary population (which is also varying).
  • Does not require bribes to efficiently load-balance.
  • Allows quantity vs. quality tradeoffs via full roster vs. LFG offloads.
  • Offers real-time flex agency, higher skillcap micro/macro/meta.
  • Potential for lowest possible queue times.
  • Players can add/subtract their own constraints and win-conditions.
  • Easier to balance for because of non-transitive effects.

All of these things are objective facts based on the combinatorics and model structure. They are not subjective interpretations about “quality”. They are data-agnostic, and don’t depend on “numbers”. OPEN is more robust to changing dynamics, because it has the highest degrees of freedom to respond and comply.

It the winning design, and doesn’t need survey data to win.

1 Like

Because I wanted to ask the question, and gathered EVERYTHING and asked for people for ANY poll they could find.

The people saying that it wasn’t more popular found ONE poll. ONE… Which I put in.

Don’t give me “oh, you did the research THEREFORE it is biased” I did it TO ANSWER the question, and I used EVERYTHING available.

I REALLY don’t since all of the evidence backs me up.

YOU have to do better, since I have MORE than enough evidence.

The more popular evidence is good for showing that it is more popular.

THAT is what we are arguing over, is it more popular? well, yes it is… massively.

WHY it is more popular? Well, as you said there is a lot wrong with it, and yet it still is.

EVEN given those.

So, from that, the simplest explanation is “you know the stuff which people hated about OPENQ? yeah, turns out they were a real problem, and given a choice, people didn’t play openQ as much once they had another option”

That is the simplest explanation for the result you see. People just don’t like openQ as much as roleQ - for reasons that plenty of people have stated over and over again.

Wanting a decent team composition in a team sport? Who knew it would make for better games?

IF you have another explanation which is MORE likely to explain the data, then go right ahead. But, people just not liking openQ as much has a lot going for it.

See above post, we don’t need data to show OPEN is better :slight_smile:

1 Like

But you have data which shows it is less popular.

Which the simplest explanation for it is “for most people it is a worse experience”

The issue is, it DOES care about role popularity.

People get pressured to play roles they don’t want to, the more unbalanced the roles are in player numbers, the more people feel pressured.

They don’t like it, so they don’t play it.

Except it doesn’t for the reason above.

By replacing it with social pressure which people hate.

This is an argument which ACTUALLY has legs, IF LFG was good, you wouldn’t have needed roleQ.

But roleQ was basically “pre made good LFG with the custom options” it was the LFG which worked.

One of the good bits, except in practice. Swapping off a critical role to DPS was an antipattern. But that is what happened.

By throwing players under the social bus.

Except they couldn’t. Social pressures again.

LITERALLY Blizzard gave one of the reasons to move to RoleQ was that roleQ was easier to balance.

1 Like

We don’t have recent and relevant popularity data, at all. Please show a ~2021 breakdown of current popularity. Popularity is always changing - OPEN will always adapt better to population demands.

2 Likes

Ah, so you’re setting the goalposts to data from the 2 months in 2021 so far, and you’re proposing that there’s been a shift in popularity to Open Queue without evidence?

Sure, we dont need evidence - what are your reasons for thinking there’s been a shift to Open Queue?

1 Like

By what? Throwing a population of players under the social pressures bus?

It made the game worse, but good news, people have a choice.

And it is pretty obvious which way they chose.

Hell, you can’t even openQ at some times in OCE because the population in it gets so low you can’t even get a game.

2 Likes

Actually my arguments in favour of OPEN don’t hinge on data, at all (see posts above). Let alone time-varying popularity data. So I don’t have to provide any numerical evidence.

Since the 222 argument hinges on ‘massively more popular’, I’m asking for evidence of this. A screenshot from a poll from late 2019, put together by someone biased towards 222, isn’t substantial or convincing. It’s barely admissible.

1 Like

We dont have the evidence for the goalposts you set, so i’m abandoning that line of questioning. And no, the RQ arguement doesnt hinge on popularity, it hinges on game design decisions the devs made to improve the game.

What are your reasons for thinking there’s been a shift to Open Queue?

1 Like

Yeah still waiting for those 2021 popularity numbers there, chief.
Can you dig anything up that isn’t +3 months old? I’ll wait.

Everything else is subjective interpretation. Arguments surrounding “quality” presume too much. OPEN is a FAR better model, because of it’s agency, skillcap, robustness to changing demands, and shifts in population.

So nothing from the last 3months? I’d settle for that. I’m curious to know. I suspect NA popularity to somewhat favour RQ, but the trends would show us where to futureproof. Meanwhile, in ASIA…

1 Like

Please provide evidence of this, from 2021.

Top 500 stats.

We have those for the last 3 months.

They have only gotten worse for openQ.

OpenQ wasn’t like… plat/diamond as top500 in it’s early days. that happened later.

1 Like

Answer the question i asked please:

What are your reasons for thinking there’s been a shift to Open Queue?

1 Like