Is Platinum a good rank?

Overwatch was my first FPS game, and I’ve played since launch. I started in Silver, and have gradually climbed up to High Gold -> Mid Plat on my main roles. Not very impressive, but an accomplishment to me.

My question is whether or not this is a good rank to be in, considering the fact that I’ve been playing since Launch and it’s my first FPS.

9 Likes

It’s best rank. Cause you get the bliingest portrait. But bling in a tasteful, sophisticated way.

7 Likes

i mean no rank but gm is really recognized as being “good”, and even then people say that theyre trash, even owl players

but if you mean average, plat is actually above average, i think like top 24% or something like that

3 Likes

It’s “above average” skill level, but also one of the worst ranks to play at. Games are a coin flip.

5 Likes

idk i think the masters, diamond, and t500 portraits are better

plat is kind of just longer silver lmao

3 Likes

You are 1 rank above the majority of people is in which is gold. I cant say it is really really good. Not too bad either, above average I would say.

I think Plat is average FPS player range.
Being mid-Gold is the 50/50 player base break point but golds are still making core fundamental errors like standing 100% still in the middle of the street.

There has long been a whiny debate over where good/decent/average starts in this game SR wise. I still maintain that mid-diamond is the start of at least good players, as it’s sub top 10% at that point. Everything past that is just really good.

but I refuse to accept that only high GM are “good” players or whatever when it’s less than 1% of the player base. That’s like saying one isn’t good at basketball unless they are college or NBA level

2 Likes

In the games I have been playing recently, they’ve actually been really good. The games where people try are normally very close and exhilarating, and make up about 3/4 of my games. I’d argue that Gold was worse.

Last we heard, plat would be above average. It’s been years since Jeff told us what ranks most of the players are in

Off topic, but Plat’s portrait just goes well with all of them. Especially the Silver portrait paired with platinum.

1 Like

It’s okay. Not amazing, not bad. But you’ll have people bashing on you for it, as you will anywhere really.

I mean, yeah. Overwatch was (kinda) my first FPS. I’d played a few indie fps games on steam, but nothing that I took as seriously as overwatch.

After over 1000 hours on the game, I’m sitting at mid diamond on DPS (My main role). I don’t grind comp at all really. My tank is very low diamond, and my support is about 3100. I touched masters back in season 5, but only cause I got lucky with placements, and won 2 or 3 games after, then I hit masters.

Platinum is an above average rank. Most of the playerbase are in gold I’m pretty sure. Either way, diamond is about top 18% ish, so you’d assume plat covers about the top 40-20% of players from low to high plat. The ranks are really skewed.

I started the game in gold. In season 3 I climbed from low gold to mid plat, then I got to diamond a few seasons after. But I rarely grind comp. When i do play, I sit at about mid diamond on my DPS, so I’d say that’s about where I’m at right now.

Plat is a decent rank, but it has such a wide range of skill in there, as does diamond tbh. There are some insane players in diamond.

ill just quote myself from 2 days ago…

It’s slightly above average rank. The vast majority of players are gold or worse. Diamond is only like 10% of the playerbase.

Those are old stats from early 2018, and generally players have gotten better at the game, so I’d probably say plat is average now, with diamond being above average, masters being more than above average, and every 100 SR above 4k is basically its own rank.

2 Likes

I’m mid Plat & when I have diamonds in my games they are usually very toxic & throw or aren’t as good as the plats on my team. I don’t get that. Plat is ok, there are some good players in there, but they still make mistakes just like I do with positioning, not switching when countered, ect.

Its a tad bit above average, its where the hug majority of the player base is at. So is it good? A little I guess . Is it bad? No.

GM isn’t even college level tho.

OWL is the NBA

Contenders is College Level

GM is like the top Highschool league

Masters is Middle School

Everything else is just people throwing a ball with their friends in the park

1 Like

eh the highest sr you can get is 5000 and plat is 2500 so its a mid rank not too good not too bad but people see master and gm as the only good ranks.

Yeah, pretty much all games between 2900-3100 are a coin flip and out of your control. It’s just awful.