Is OW 2 more of a PvE game or PvP game?

I understand OW has both PvP and PvE. My question is how much of the game is going to be PvE? Is it just a few missions or is the majority of the game PvE or what?

2 Likes

I believe OW2 is planned to be more PvE. Then again, they’ve also said that OW2 will have all the content you have in OW1, so I kind of think of it more like a PvE expansion with some PvP additions.

1 Like

more PvP
they need to compete with the monster incoming

Its the same game, the same game with new PVP maps, new mode and now a system for introducing somewhat regular PVE content. I cannot understand acting like its truly a separate game - its just an overlay/extension of OW.

1 Like

I would imagine because of OWL PVP would by and large be the over all focus. E sports of PVE games is very small in comparison far as I know and E sports seems to be everything to Blizzard now.

That said every thing we have heard about the launch is mostly PVE focused. Other than some new hero’s and maybe a map or Two nothing super major about PVP is changing. I think I remember a new game mode being mentioned but I can’t remember much about it.

There will be plenty of pvp And pve content, but there’s no need to buy OW2 for pvp. They will share a launcher and all pvp will be available from OW. PvE content is exclusive to OW2

1 Like

Think of OW2 as an expansion pack that will add co-op PvE story missions.

If you only care about the PvP portion of the game, Jeff said every single gameplay aspect of PvP, from new maps to new heroes to the new Push gamemode, would still be playable for OW1 owners.

So, if you don’t care about PvE, don’t buy it.

3 Likes

My biggest gripe is it really seems like all the Hero’s and events from the last year or two we didn’t get is now being repacked and sold to us in this “sequel”.

4 Likes

Demonstrably false. Delayed, sure, but you don’t need to buy OW2 to use the new heroes in pvp.

All the hero releases will be made available in OW1. OW2 is only necessary to purchase if you want to play the PvE missions and related content.

OW2 is a PvE expansion to a PvP game. It’s not even its own game.

You’ll be able to buy it without owning OW1 - I think that qualifies it as it’s own game.

Not events, but heroes, yes, you are correct. We might get one extra :roll_eyes:

Except all you are really doing is buying the same code as OW 1… the PVP core that is.

1 Like

Yeah, for those of us who are only interested in PvP, OW2 is actually worse than the normal content cadence of 1 new hero every 4 months.

It’s both. For PvE we add a full story arc told through story missions (even though it’s a linear story I am reluctant to all it a campaign because it’s co-op, not single player). We’ll also have Hero Missions (which are highly replayable PvE backed by a progression system). The closest analogy (although neither is quite accurate) is Adventure mode in Diablo III or World Quests in WoW (again, not a great analogy but indicative of the level of replay we’re hoping for).

For PvP we’re adding a completely new pool of PvP maps including a new game mode called Push.

For both modes, new heroes will be added.

151 Likes

I’d like to hear from a dev on this.

2 Likes

Literally look one post above

26 Likes

Could someone be satisfied with just the pve stuff? My Dad wants to get into Overwatch, but not PvP.

2 Likes

Ask and you shall receive…

3 Likes

Jeff, add Competitive Classic! Since you’re adding all these new modes. What’s one more mode so that those of us who don’t want Role Lock, Map Pool, or Hero Pools have freedom of choice?

1 Like