Is Mei meta now?

Did she get buffed? If not, and she is meta, what happened to all the posts talking about buffing her/making her a tank so she can be played?

I bring this up for one single point: what if buffs and nerfs to characters just to make them meta is unnecessary? What if characters just need to be good enough to play, and then tweaked if they actually overperforming and not because “they’ve been meta for too long”?

3 Likes

Contrary to popular belief, lots of heroes are actually in very good spots. They just tend to be out picked by more generalist units. Mei is a strong unit, but is only really workable when supporting Orisa/Sigma to stop people like Reinhardt from pushing in or even just slowing other frontline units from trying to walk over your tanks. So, she works well with and against Reinhardt. Completely unnecessary in dive compositions and rather ineffective against most of them.

10 Likes

She is good, and it could be a tank with the necessary adjustments if blizz should like it.

I believe that the issue is that the players are prejudiced against certain characters playing styles.

most compare it to hitscan, but forget that no hitscan can lift a wall of ice and etc.

2 Likes

This is true for every character, though. I could make Soldier 76 a tank by tweaking. The question is should characters become tanks, or should we leave characters with tank like ablities in other roles.

Regardless, that wasn’t my point. They could take 5 DPS and turn them into tanks for all I care. What I care about more is the constant yo-yoing of characters. How many times are we going to buff and nerf Roadhog’s damage for example?

People on here keep going “rework! Rework. nerf. nerf!” and I honestly think its what’s killing overwatch. Since there’s always going to be a most played and least played characters, the nerfs will never ever stop if blizzard is listening to people’s whining.

This is actually what I mean by “leaving tank like abilities in other roles”.

Right now, the DPS have options for zoning skills on demand. If Mei became a tank, DPS would have absolutely no say in zoning tools. They’d have to rely 100% on the tanks for that.

The tanks that keep getting gutted and changed.

3 Likes

Throw pick since last year, Lucio helps her to be playable from time to time on some maps
I wouldn’t mind a tank rework if she became viable again

Mei is certainly very viable, but she’s not ‘good every where’ viable which is often all people care about.

7 Likes

Mei is okay in some places, but lacks compared to general picks, and even in her specialized area… she’s not all that much better than said generalists. And so it’s hard to justify learning Mei really well over characters that just work everywhere. McCree can tank bust as well/better than Mei, but ALSO being a hitscan and having an instant stun can deal with pharmacy and Tracer a lot better. It’s these parts that make picking Mei a hard sell most of the time. Granted there is a VERY thin line for where she works better, such as against Roadhog Dva, but for the most part isn’t a good call. Moreso since Hanzo/Ashe could fill that part and just have ults every fight.

8 Likes

because people don’t want to be forced to change.

If you’re wondering why you always see Mei in OWL, it’s because her walls provide immense value in separating the main tank from his team. This doesn’t translate to ladder because the average gold Mei is going to waste the cooldown out of panic or lift a DVA bomb into her supports.

2 Likes

If you watch OWL players stream (I don’t blame you if you don’t it’s… a mixed bag)
You would see that Mei is pretty dang good in the very top ranks.

Mei is the cheese with rush comp, just push in on their Rein with speed and wall him EZ W’s.

She did get buffed twice recently.

1 Like

So is everyone. That’s not Mei that’s good. That’s OWL players are just absurdly good at the game.

They didn’t say “good mei players are good at mei”. They mean high level meta. There are characters who are bad at high ranks right now anyways (Moira, Ball) despite those same top players being good at them.

1 Like

I don’t see many bastions up there? It’s partly the heroes themselves. Also the reply above.

Okay yeah, I’ll admit. Bastion is just bad. But to suggest that OWL players can’t for the most part make anything look crazy good isn’t really right either. Bastion MAY be an exception due to the fact that he actually can’t move.

I didn’t suggest that, I literally said Mei is good in high ranks contrary to popular belief based on the hero alone.

Mei was buffed 3 times this year plus she fits the meta. She’s not meta defining, she’s just meta. Once Bap and Rein are nerfed she’ll be off meta just as well.

1 Like

That’s true enough. But Mei isn’t that good either. There’s a reason her pick rate has been low. That just being that even in the top tier, the players know they tend to get better results on other characters.

Nope

Just like any other subject. People talk a lot about it and then stop because no one listen to us.

Personally never was a fan of the tank change people… The fact a hero can stop a bit of damage doesn’t makes him a tank immediately… By the same logic Brigitte should be a tank because of shield (Lets ignore the fact she’s a support version of Reinhardt) and Symmetra 2.0 should have been a tank not a support or a dps because of mini shield…

Not to mention Torb has a turret that can stop damage so he for sure needs to be a tank by these standarts…

Either way people got tired just like with Symmetra posts and Orisa posts.

I think balancing by meta or other heroes is silly.
The best way for every rank and overall the game has to be by role and design.

A hero shouldn’t lose its identity and power just because the current stuff it’s good/bad against are/ arenot meta.

I do believe Mei should only recieve a bit less consumption for her primary fire in order to actually finish fast targets but other than that the hero is perfect.

A lot of heroes in the game already lost their identity and were thrown to the side just because the devs don’t know how to balance heroes according to themselves and not to the heroes. Instead of understanding Sigma’s power comes from his burst they just nerfed his shield even more…

Either way, reaching meta or being bad can a lot of times be the result of simple reasons like lack of things to counter, too many things to counter, one ability not functioning too well, lack of synergy, maps and etc…

I really think that every problem can be solved by looking at the hero by design and understanding what part is too strong.

As long that you balance heroes by a job they would always have a weak spot to something that respect them and so would never be too op.

Which three? The only buff that I’m finding in the patch notes is a healing a bit more in cryo. Could which month was she getting other buffs this year?

1 Like