Is match-making rigged?

It does kind of seem like it’s this. Which, I’d rather have than 10 minute queue times, lol. And I don’t generally find my opponents or teammates to be all that wide of a range of skill, although I do only play competitive, so maybe that’s why.

Except now, a silver player can just be a diamond player that hasn’t played very many games this season. Since, they automatically drop your rank at the start of every season.

2 Likes

It is doing both these things and it needs to stop

1 Like

I feel like most people get dunked on a couple times and just assume it’s some GM

One of Blizzards patents says it is. I’m too lazy to go back and look at which one it was though. Back in 2020ish there was a mega thread on this and all the stuff was leaked.

1 Like

Ya but it’s not actually confirmed as being used. I mean I get it’s a possibility but I doubt it

except, if youre actually a silver, youre stuck in elo hell, becasue of all the diamond players masquerading. More proof The mm is designed terribly, and to focus more people on grinding.

2 Likes

that isn’t what forced 50% win rates means. Youve misinterpreted their intentions. They aren’t trying to get you a “fair game” at all. If they did, they would not put diamonds and silvers in the same matches. It does not mean you will get games that give you a 50% chance of winning, it means you will likely lose 50% of your games, and win 50% of your games. This in turn creates a roll or be rolled situation, and forced ELO Hell. If they were doing it the way you described, I would not be complaining at all. I would love that. Because games would be competitive, instead of the rollfest they currently are.

2 Likes

It definitely feels like it.

I’ll win maybe twice in a row and then next game will have a GM Widow that kills everyone with a Mercy pocket.

No one can contest because our DPS aren’t GM, it blows.

2 Likes

i like playing dva, but i hate having to switch to dva because my dps can’t handle a widow 12 times their skill who for some reason is in my lobby so i can’t play junkerqueen now.

Except that is exactly what the system attempts to do. Place you with players of similar MMR, and then adjust your MMR such that you tend to 50% victory. How well it does is besides the point that it does attempt to give you fair matches.

It’s just that between; season start rank demotion making players appear lower rank, a large influx of new players lowering matchmaking quality, and just general variance in how well a players plays anyway, games can feel more swingy.

I’m also of the opinion that 5v5 makes games more swingy anyway. Mistakes are more punishing. Teamfights seem to snowball more, etc.

Ranked or Casual because in a technical sense… yes, yes it is and loser queue is a thing but it’s not gonna stop you from playing it.

Kind of ruins the fun of Overwatch in a nutshell.

Why have a diverse variety of characters and roles to choose from, when a pocketed GM Widow can shut down an entire game as long as she remains uncontested.

Of course, strategies exist to deal with her. That’s not the issue. It simply makes dealing with that Widow now the core focus of the game, instead of contesting the objective or focusing on the team fight. It’s a fundamental flaw in the core design of the game, imho.

Your premise is true of just about every hero in this game. If you are not contesting the best player in the game they will dominate which often necessitates a hero swap if simply playing better is not a solution. The only way for such a scenario to not exist would be to have some uniformity among heroes that all heroes are the same and you are basically just picking which skin to use for your next game.

1 Like

Except it doesn’t match based on your rank. It only uses MMR. Which is why you can see diamond and “silver” players in the same game. Thought I just explained that to you. Don’t know what you aren’t getting about it.

Best to ignore SR rankings and just focus on improving your mmr. Since SR is just a fake number that is meaningless. At least before OW2 SR was somewhat close to your MMR and let you know what rank you where in and around. Now SR is just worthless and is best to just ignore. So glad they made their competitive mode have less integrity and feel more like an extended QP yay blizzard good job.

1 Like

Because its forced. The system with equally matched players should give a 50/50 win rate. But the system is forced, players are not equally matched. Lower skilled players are put in matches with higher skilled players to be carried or to force a loss. Some matches are just a hopeless waste of time. There is also the alleged system and patent of putting new players with more highly skilled players with fancy skins to promote sales (dark pattern gaming).

Forced system is probably the only way to deal with it as there are to many variables to get equally matched teams. Some heroes are better than others, some counter others, some have a different skill ceiling, you may be diamond on “x” dps hero and low gold on “y” dps hero. A top 500 player will use “x” hero but to a Bronze player “x” hero is useless because they don’t have the skill to use it.

Game is to complicated and will never be balanced.

I wouldn’t call it rigged, but I would say there’s an element of manipulation going on in specific situations.

I think one of the main problems is queue times.
All match quality has gone out the window with the switch to 5v5 and dps and tank queue times are unacceptably high.

Instead of fixing the actual problem (very few people wanting to play support) they seem to have massively relaxed what counts as a ‘fair’ match.
So now my games are supposed to be plat or low diamond, and I’m getting master and GM players in them because that sped up queue times. Matches then boil down to whichever team has the most out of place higher rank players wins. Cue steamroll.

I don’t believe for one second that in these matches both teams have a 50/50 chance of winning. I think the matchmaker is super lax and just goes “60/40 is fine, because queue speed is a priority”.

This is where manipulation comes in.
When you have a game where every match is a steamroll to accommodate queue times, you can get unlucky and be put on the ‘bad’ team too many times in a row. They realise that this is a bad user experience and to compensate the matchmaker probably kicks into putting you on the ‘good’ team an equal amount of times to ensure “everyone is having a good time”.

I’m not being hyperbolic when I say that this is the worst match quality of any game I’ve ever played.

2 Likes

I don’t understand if there is such a huge player base. Why is there a need to get players from other skill levels to fill matches?

2 Likes

Yes
When: 2019-present
Why: to control how often you win
Solution: you have be exceptional amongst exceptionals to
overcome developer deviousness. nerfs on top of rigged matches.
an exodus was inevitable.

2 Likes

I honestly have no idea.

All I can go on is my own personal experience, and this is what happens every time I play:

I’m a support player, and I play at high plat or low diamond.

Every single comp match is either me, a handful of plats and one master/GM get stomped by a team of predominantly master/GM players with some plats sprinkled in. Or me and a load of master/GM players stomp a team of mainly plats and one master/GM.

It was every single match without fail last season, and it was no fun at all. I played a few games this season and it was shaping up to be the same experience so I haven’t played since Ramattra was released.

2 Likes