Is Lucio’s heal canonic?

The application of sound waves to the human body can be used to instigate certain effects - such as improving the body’s own healing processes & loosening muscles so as to improve mobility.
It has not been shown in-canon to do so yet, but with OW’s terrible pacing, that’s starting to lose it’s sheen as a defence for exploring the information we do have & relating it back to other sci-fi interpretations.

The application of music as healing & speed boost, in the world of Overwatch, is totally possible.
Lucio’s father is noted to have particularly made the “sonic technology” which illustrates it was purposefully made for such a purpose - this includes both his weapon functionality & his crossfade abilities, which both use sound & therefore are sonic technology.
It is the combination of Lucio’s music & his father’s tech that produces the healing, not one or t’other on its own.

As proven by Zenyatta’s Omnic energy applying healing, we do not have to understand everything about the minutiae of the world’s science in order to see it applied & react with other things in a pseudo-scientific manner.
[Devs have said somewhere they don’t want to fully explain some things & doing so could genuinely damage the story, canon & world-building.]
For instance, Tracer’s time travel is actually super-broken by most theoretical applications of time travel…but it works in-world & we can accept that it does & use that as the basis for our understanding going forward.

1 Like

considering he’s a freedom fighting activist that travels the world, it shouldn’t be too unrealistic that he can heal people with music. otherwise theirs no reason to play music during battle if it. (also if healing music isn’t canon, then there’s no reason speed boost would, and if speed boost is canon and healing isn;t then whats the point of him having both? and if neither are canon then his who gimmick of boosting his allies with music would be kinda dumb)

and honestly if entire abilites aren’t canon to the game then that’s just kinda bad writing. like if zenyatta’s orb isn’t’ canon to the game then whats even the point of his being a character. what is he able to contribute to the lore thats why i think his orbs of discord have some canonicaty to them otherwise he’s kind of a useless character. and its like theNow said

There’s totally scientific reasons for healing music to exist. and cosidering how slow blizzards writing is is using “not canon until proven otherwise” is gonna ruin the experience alot more.

Between a lot of voicelines and interactions being reduced to “what ifs” and being told specifically that certain abilities in game are not canon to the lore, personally I treat the entire game and its story as two completely seperate entities unless its some kind of archives event and even then Mcrees retribution comic personality compared to his retribution event personality are very different.

Its certainly not a reach to believe he can heal because stranger things happen in this universe, just that I’m on the side of it not being a thing based on other things based on what we have had told to us concerning other characters and thier abilities.

For the record I’m definitly not against it either way though.

1 Like

Very fair :slight_smile: I like to attempt & correlate the two with each other where possible, but that can be difficult for obvious reasons xD.

Case in point, yes; McCree in the Retribution comic is basically an entirely different character from the one in the Retribution event & it annoys me to no end xD.

1 Like

Ive even seen people over on reddit question if soldiers sprint is canon :joy: Honestly I think in a lot of ways its down to us to interpretate a lot things from our own perspective when it comes to the true lore, until we are told or shown otherwise of course.

I mean I guess we can say somethings are obvious for example we definitly without a doubt know Mercy can heal physical wounds but when it comes to her Resurrect it honestly comes down to who you ask. (I wont get into that here though for obvious reasons) :cold_sweat:

1 Like

According to Micheal chu, some abilities in the game aren’t canon.
Apparently zens harmony and discord orbs and mercy rez.
This seems like a really bad idea, mercy rez is a huge part of her character and if she doesn’t have it now, I hope there is a plotline in the future where she gets it.
Lucio without his healing music sounds equally bad as it’s once again such a huge part of his character and skill set.
Same with Zenyatta, except worse because that’s both his abilities down the drain.
I think they should really try to make lore abilities as close to the in game ones as they can.

1 Like

i honestly think saying that discorb orb and harmonity orb are “not lore canon” is a mistake, because then what the heck is zenyatta suppose to do besides throw his orbs and kick ( i assume transcendce, wouldn’t be canon either since its way more flashy then harmonity orb or discorb orb) honestly i hope it was a miscommunication or they retconn it because that seems kinda dumb.

I would rather have the opposite - make the gameplay match the lore. Get rid of Mercy’s rez, take Lucio out of the support category.

i honestly think we should assume all of lucios abilities are canon because like you could easily say his healing music is part of his sonic technology, because none of lucio’s interaction actually specify what his sonic technology does. none of his interaction mention his sonic boom, or sound barrier or speed boost, so specifically pointing out healing song seems kinda weird.

That’d would be a very bad idea. because jeff kaplan said that it was entire possible for overwatch heroes to die (he didn’t say it was guaranteed to happen and he said it wouldn’t happen anytime soon) but if they did kill a character off that they would still be playable. so i don’t see why they would completely rework heroes to match lore if they can kill them off.

That would make them pretty boring in my opinion, sort of demoting them from demigods to normal humans.
And really don’t need another dps and ripping one from the support category is just asking for a furious fanbase.

But that’s what they are in the lore - normal people. Mei is just a scientist with an ice gun. Zenyatta is a peaceful monk. Lucio is a celebrity DJ with a crowd suppression gun. Mercy is a pacifist doctor. None of these people should be in combat. It’s the game that isn’t realistic, not the lore.

I hope your right, I was worrying over this a few nights ago.
However I have a Hope that highlight intros are cannon, zens involves his orbs so there might be hope there

1 Like

Right because japensese men summoning dragons out of their tatooes is so realistic, and talking gorillas, and hamsters in giant mechs, are so realistic.and zenyatta is literally a spirtial robotic monk not sure how that makes him a normal person. and actually how are scientist with ice guns or Mercy a freakin angel with wings realistic either?

By ‘realistic’ I mean accurate to the lore.

but you literally said

How are mercy, lucio, mei or zenyatta “normal people” zenyatta is a robot monk who has transcended reality, Mercy is an a woman in an working angel suit, mei the closet thing to a normal person is still a scientist with an ice gun which isn’t very common. and lucio is literally a freedom-fighting dj. FIGHTING. and how shouldn’t be in combat?

you can literally down play an overwatch character with certain words. “Hammond is just a hamster in a ball, tracer is just a fast british lady, roadhog is a just a big boy with a hook, none of this people should be in combat.” but thats not obviously true.

and also i’m not surewhy people choose to leave out healing aura, specifically when none of his abilites have been mentioned in his interactions. not speed boost, sonic boom, sonic barrier nothing. so saying healing aura specifally is weird, theres no reason to assume his healing is non canon but the rest of his kit is.

But the game decides the lore, and the games a shooter.
Personally if I had to choose between the game involving a doctor with marksmanship accurate to her profession or the one that can do an upside down headshot I’m going to go for 360 no scope doc.

1 Like

That doesn’t give him martial arts skills or combat experience.

Which is used for battlefield search and rescue and support, not for armed combat. Of these four, Mercy would have the most combat experience, but she’s not a front line fighter.

Which she built herself and is not intended for fighting. It is a tool for making ice structures.

“Freedom fighting” means he led riots and encouraged other people to fight. It doesn’t make him an expert in hand-to-hand combat or give him any battlefield experience.

he’s a friggin robot monk, he wouldn’t do anything, because the currently aren’t real. thats like saying “hamsters aren’t smart enough to make mechs” well hammonds still real!. (and his bio mentions him “fighting to proctect the innocent” so he has fought before.

yeah and she’s a playable character that heals people and flys around. her bio mentions her creating the suit to help people in war zones.

and symmetra’s tools are suppose to be for creating structures too, and she’s a fighter.

his bio literally mentions him stealing back his dad’s sonic technology and fighting against viskar. and considering riots involve alot of violence, i don’t see why that would deter him from having a combot experince, if any thing that gives him more combat expiernce.

you literally trying to make characters seem more “normal” when they obvious aren;t. and again you want to to remove healing aura, even though NONE of his abilites have been talked about in interactions, and there’s no reason to assume sonic technology doesn’t include his healing aura.

I didn’t mention the healing aura, but since you put it that way, you’re right. None of Lucio’s abilities are canon.