Is Lucio’s heal canonic?

I can understand a music that can give you a charge (speed), but a music that can heal?
Do you think it’s canonic?

In short, probably not.

Youre probably one of the most wellversed forum dwellers when it comes to lore and stuff, just curious what you feel its lore effects would be if any.

While I dont feel it would be able to heal, Ive speculated in the past that its sort of got a forceable ‘feel good’ effect, like making people feel confident and happy etc

Makes me wonder if Lucio can do damage if he wanted to.
Maybe play some annoying music like Rick Astley to drive enemies insane. :grin:

7 Likes

The damage part of his weapon is much more probable. The sonic amplifier was used to suppress the locals by Vishkar, and does utilize hard light technology, in a form that is married with sound. The Sound Barrier is also fairly probable.

Most likely no. Music can heal, but not physical wounds. More mental and emotional ones.

yeah but like overwatch takes place in the future, so like if hanzo and genji can summon spirit dragons, i’m sure there’s a scientific reason he can heal allies (maybe he releases sound waves that release nano bots)

1 Like

saying “lucio’s healing isn’t canon because thats not how music works” makes no sense. overwatch takes place in the future, its entirely possible that they found a way to make music that can heal allies. Reaper can turn into smoke canonically even though thats impossible in our current time. Heck Tracer can TIME TRAVEL which certainly doesn’t exist currently. so why is lucio healing with music so unreasonable?

4 Likes

i never really understood this argument. why is music healing people so unrealistic? just because it doesn’t exist now doesn’t mean it can’t exist in overwatch. i mean tracer can time travel, reaper can turn into smoke and hanzo and genji can summon spirit dragons. why is lucio healing with music so unrealistic.

1 Like

He doesn’t turn into smoke, he turns into a cloud of particles.

Yes but we are given an explanation of how she does it.

Overwatch may be sci-fi, but you can’t just ignore science. Almost everything has been given a scientific explanation that works within the world, and are based on the scientific principles of the real world. Lucio’s sound-based healing hasn’t been seen yet in the lore - it could be canon, it could not. But without positive proof that it is canon, the best course of action is to assume it is not canon.

ah yes because people can currently do that. (also the offical website says he “turns into shadows” not cloud particles)

okay but time travel is currently impossible, and tracer is able to time travel.

Maybe because she’s the main character? she appears in multiple shorts because she’s an important character. lucio is more of a side character. if tracer can time travel despite that being impossible right now then why not lucio?
there’s no reason to assume isn’t a scientific reason for lucio’s healing.
(also hanzo and genji are able to summon spirit dragons, and that hasn’t been a given an scientific explanation yet, and thats clearly canon)

That makes no sense. you shouldn’t assume a characters main ability is non canon just because it hasn’t appeared in lore yet. by that logic LUCIO is non canon because he hasn’t appeared in lore yet.

2 Likes

My point was, these abilities are given a scientific explanation that works in the OW universe. Sure transforming into particles and time travel and hard-light dragons don’t exist in the real world, but they do exist in the OW universe, and there they are given a scientific explanation. Overwatch is based in science. If Lucio’s healing exists, it will be given a scientific explanation - there is no magic in Overwatch, and things don’t work just because.

It is foolish to assume everything is automatically canon. Until we see it happen, it doesn’t exist.

Hanzo and Genjis Spirit dragons haven’t been given a scientific explanation. its never been said that their hard light, thats just fan canon. not canon.

And again assuming lucio’s healing music isn’t canon “because it hasn’t appeared in lore yet” makes no sense. nothing about lucio has been showed in lore, besides his bio and his lucio-os ad. we haven’t seen any of his abilites in action. so by that logic none of his abilites are canon.

and again the shimadas have not been given a scientific reason to why they can summon spirit dragons. and their still canon. so if thats believable, then lucio healing with music is too

1 Like

That’s not true.

Survivors have described a black shadow ghosting unscathed through the most hellish battlefields. The few bodies recovered of those he kills are pale, empty husks drained of life, their cells showing signs of intense degradation. It is possible that he is a byproduct of failed genetic alteration which forces his cells to simultaneously decay and regenerate at a hyper-accelerated rate.

I’m not saying it isn’t believable, it just hasn’t been proven.

yes it is
Hellfire Shotguns, the ghostly ability to become immune to damage, and the power to step between shadows make Reaper one of the deadliest beings on Earth.
Reaper becomes a shadow for a short period of time

also

it literally says “shadow” right there

and shimada’s dragons being made of hard light hasn’t been proven either, and those abilties are canon despite not currently having a scientific explanation

Yes, they are canon because we’ve seen them in the lore. Lucio’s abilities haven’t been seen. You seem to understand my point.

Having a scientific explanation isn’t a requirement for something to be canon, but things being canon mean they must have a scientific explanation.

1 Like

i think “lets assume nothing’s canon until its in lore” is a really bad argument. by that logic lucio isn’t canon since he has zero lore besides a bio and cereal ad.
(you also made up hanzo and genji’s spirit dragons being made of hard-light despite that not being confirmed)
so if your just gonna lie to try to get your point across then its gonna be hard to listen to you.

I said they were hard light because that’s the most logical explanation. No, it hasn’t been confirmed, but I’m not making anything up - the dragons have similar properties to hard light and several other people have independently come up with the same explanation for an unexplained ability.

As for Lucio, he has one other appearance in the lore, in an old article about his world tour:
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/19828053
Posters for him also appear in the background of Reflections as Tracer runs around the city, and D.Va is listening to Lucio’s music in Shooting Star. Based on this evidence, Lucio exists within the lore.

Assuming things are false until otherwise proven is a common practice in theory-crafting. The burden of proof is on the person trying to prove a thing - thus, it is on you to provide reasons why Lucio’s healing might be canon, and not on me to prove that his healing isn’t.

1 Like