Is it weird I miss all the mercy drama

here we go.

This is pre moth meta.

And this is post moth meta

But it isn’t even at the low point when Ana was out picking her in silver.

But as you can see, there is a 50% loss in the pick rates. which… given her RISE in win rates is a hell of a thing.

How do you lose 50% of a heros pick rate, by making her stronger?

Well, pissing off the player base so they leave is a good start.

I’m trying to find the charts closer to each side of the moth meta, so you can really see the damage done.

75% pick rate, in the largest rank in overwatch, and above 70% on the ranks on either side.

She wasn’t just a little more popular than all of the other supports, she was CRAZY popular, with the MMO crowd, and the players from TF2.

47 Likes

I think its because we realize to make her better is to bring a certain over performing and over picked support down a few notches just so that we wont feel as useless as we currently do next the now thanks to the brig rework (whcih is also a travesty) 4 other main healers

so you just first off left me evidence to a time period, that isn´t really relevant to the discussion. Second off, that is not evidence of people leaving, but evidence of her popularity falling, where is the number of players on both before and after including how many were private and not (That Omnic meta cannot track). So all in all, it was as i suspected not actually something to prove your point.

Also you talk about her popularity, her popularity before the rework wasn´t insane either.

3 Likes

really, during the ramp down after the moth meta ISN’T relevant.

No one knows, BUT if you think that changes the stats then you are just arguing from a bad faith point of view.

MASSIVELY falling. Like CRAZY amounts of falling.

REALLY? 75% picked at the most popular ranks? 70% on each side? are you kidding me? That is massive.

I don’t run the tracker any more, but I could see it fall ,and the accounts were going inactive.

I have got you the evidence showing she had a MASSIVE drop off in popularity, which you can’t even read from the charts, AND you complain about private profiles.

To say you are going to ignore the evidence in your face is an understatement.

What a waste of space you are to talk to. You obviously don’t WANT to know what happened because it breaks some kind of world view you have in your head.

Fortunately other people can read the charts and can see the drop, and have a pretty clear idea that the mains were not just going to switch heroes and be done with it (as seen by the MASSIVE threads in the forums at the time) - a lot of people were REAL angry over it. a lot of them left in a move which should surprise no-one.

If you think that a massive drop in popularity in a hero, by some of the most fanatical players in the game, with a reputation of one tricking to exclusion of anything else, DOESN’T come with a mass leaving of the game, you had better provide evidence.

But sure as hell, it is REAL obvious what happened.

29 Likes

It’s not that i miss those particular times, but forums are getting boring as of late. Everything is overrun by 2-2-2 complaints, Doomfist complaints or double-shield complaints. Those are lame. Nothing interesting is happening in them. Literally unplayable.

1 Like

In a Mercy discord I was in we used to be around 60 active Mercy players about 10 months after the rework. Many were not happy with the changes made to the character. Of these 60 or so people only a around a third at most still play the game, and of these only a handful of us still play Mercy.

I mean, this is purely anecdotal, but to me it speaks volumes about the effect the rework had on those who enjoyed playing her.

20 Likes

Fallout 76 was full of ex mercy mains on release :slight_smile:

It was funny as hell.

I’m the only person who played a lot of Mercy who I know who still plays*.
The rest left some time ago.

The DPS players? They are all still here.

• actually I’m playing FFXIV, but, I intend to return after Echo gets released.
10 Likes

I swear, if Anthem had turned out better that’s were I would be - nice gameplay (when it works) and a by far nicer player base. I’m basically playing OW now because I’m picky about what I like.

5 Likes

Were they trying to resurrect it?

2 Likes

I have high hopes for Anthem. If No mans sky can get to being a good game, Anthem - which has a much better start, sure as hell as a chance.

1 Like

Not even mass rez…

To be fair, it isn’t a bad game now, but it too had a pretty rough start.

The first Beta was crazy funny. Everyone had waited ages to download the game, and the moment the beta hit, the downloads failed their checksum and all wiped themselves, ending the first Beta in “the most Bethesda moment I had ever seen”

2 Likes

Hey, if you ever give it a chance come find me - I’m mostly on ps4 but I am considering buying it for PC in the future if things start looking up.

I play it for a month back at the start.

I enjoyed it, and will likely go back and play it a bit after I get tried of FFXIV.

I’ll throw you a message here if I do.

By the way, the Mercy discord is just a regular gaming discord now… the interest in OW in general and Mercy in particular is too little to warrant an own discord. :laughing:

I just read OP post again, i was confused, no it is relevant to the discussion my bad.

Am i really, as far as i am aware it was quite clear and stated, that the reason is was brought into the game was to help people getting harassed (Most of which were Mercy players and OTP, especially when playing other roles). It has a definitive effect and a big one, but even if it doesn´t you cannot know without it.

look at Reinhardt vs Orisa/Sigma currently, it is an insane flip. You think all rein players quit ?

It is great yeah, we have seen it before many times, she is the only one that with orisa was sitting at 90-100% pickrate though, during the worst parts of her history. She was picked a lot cause she worked and was the easiest choice out of all the main supports as well, she had no contender, especially if you could not play Ana.

Yeah this isn´t evidence, you have to showcase the amount of accounts going inactive and compare it with others and how many still played.

What evidence ? The evidence that her popularity massively changed ? Sure. That a lot of Mercy specific players quit because of the change ? You seem to forget that through many points in Mercy´s history, people were playing her cause they had to or had no other choice (lack of skill), so people jump off.

I complain about private profiles for one, since they are a huge amount of accounts since it was forced on everyone by default and many especially Mercy players welcomed it, which is straight up just a huge margin of your “Data” that isn´t even tracked.

Okay lets just assume you proved anything, you haven´t shown me player numbers pre and post the change, the effect or accounted for it of private profiles, how many players were using Mercy cause they were forced to or had no other option cause they couldn´t play ana or didn´t like it. We have similar pickrate stats that also flips like it and no one is crying that all those players quit.

Yeah mery dropped many others went up, what do you think happened ? As long as you don´t even know if the overall playercount or the support player count increased or decreased, where is your evidence then of that specific player group leaving ?

ohh noo, you are the one making the claim that it happened, i told you to show me the evidence of them quitting, all you shown me is that her high playrate flipped and others went up, that isn´t proof of what you are saying buddy. Also all this

Is why you need to account for private profiles, since these special players, were so fragile they had to get a hidden function to hide their use of the character.

I might die from lack of surprise.

The only really surprising thing here is Darkweaver is (likely accidentally) arguing strongly that the old Mercy mains were not the kind of people who would just quit the game over something like this.

He has a high view of them, that is for sure.

Which is ironic really given his dismissive rant calling them whiners.

Most of the ones I know quit half way through the nerf cycle. They didn’t even get to 50 HPS.

Well, here is to you Darkweaver, lover of the old Mercy players. Thinking they wouldn’t just quit like that.

I mean, really.

2 Likes

Yeah, or maybe DarkWaver, like people to back uup their claims, instead of assuming and pulling random charts indicative of popularity and use as an argument for majority of them leaving if it changes downwards. My bad.

I feel bad for all the reinhardt players that left after he went from 12-13% pickrates to 2-5%

Why are you excluding the later part of the rework that saw her at close to a 100% pickrate in all tiers of play, higher than it had ever been before (seems like all the quitting mercy OTP came back and new ones joined, at least according to the conclusion you are pulling)

1 Like

I didn’t.

gazes at Mass Effect Andromeda :unamused:

4 Likes

They is a pretty good chance they didn’t quit in the same numbers. Did you SEE the fallout from the Mercy changes? they threads which literally broke the forums, because the forums couldn’t handle the number of replies.

They made another thread, and broke that one too.

No change in the history of the game was fought over nearly as much. roleQ is a blip compared to the Mercy threads.

How many “we have 2 mercy one tricks on our team, who can’t play anything else” posts have you seen?

Because the forums USED to be full of them.

Many didn’t.

Ok, SAY you are right - and many DID hide their character. That 75% pick rate is INSANE given that right?

Because a lot of people who were NOT the mains were playing her obviously. I wanted to make sure the charts was from before the Moth meta, and post it.

During the Moth meta, EVERY team ran Mercy, because she was broken as all hell.

The issue here is you think the drop was the Mercy mains suddenly thinking “hey, given that the Dev team has basically ignored everything we actually care about, and we kicked up the biggest s*itstorm the forums have ever seen, lets go pick another hero and pretend nothing happened”

They left. they were part of the 50% of people who leave roughly every 1.5 years the game runs.

There is the other piece, you can see the drop in google trends, As the players leave, they don’t google things to do with overwatch anymore.

The nerfing period of Mercy has a pretty large downward swing. But then again, EVERYONE was sick of the moth meta by the time it was over.

Trends has a HIGH correlation with player base in pretty much all games. You put it next to players in the steam reports, and they track almost identically on any game you care to look.

11 Likes

Demo was actually fun. Too bad it showed literally everything game had on offer.

1 Like