Invisible players in comp, floating orbs bug

Today was my second time encountering the invisible players bug where in my competitive game either my teammates or the enemy team player’s model is completely invisible. Their player model is replaced with a floating orb. A very small orb. Instead of seeing a Pharah in the sky, you see a floating red orb blasting you with rockets.

The first time I encountered the bug my hero eventually turn invisible and I was unable to see my hands or gun until I restarted my game.

14 Likes

Saw this twice today as well, both in ranked and in QP. Usually when someone changed their character mid-game

6 Likes

I’ve just seen this today! Enemy genji got invisible and I was so confused as Pharah just shooting rockets randomly trying to figure out where he was hiding. When I look on the match recap, he’s clearly in front of me and my team is able to see him fine.

4 Likes

Had this as well. owo

4 Likes

Has this issue two times as well. Only happened in comp matches so far.

Characters turn into red floating orbs, my weapon models go missing and make no sounds. Weapon vfx goes missing as well.

Restarting the game seems to fix it, but it’s not so fun leaving a comp match…

5 Likes

I’ve seen this bug a few times. It doesn’t happen super often but it’s completely game-breaking when it does. I can’t understand what could cause it. It’s not a slow HDD because it’s on a fast SSD and happens intermittently, so I can only assume maybe there’s some entity job queuing system that’s being starved or deadlocked or something? I just wish they’d fix it. It’s one the most unfair feelings when a Genji you can’t see just waltzes up and oneshots you.

3 Likes

This bug happened to me just now in a comp match. Its VERY annoying. Players on the enemy team were invisible, only with a red orb floating. No sound effects played outside of the screams when pinned by Rein.

All as the others reported.

4 Likes

And yet another competitive bug appears. How surprising. You are not alone in experiencing this bug. I’ve linked the competitive bugs megathread at the bottom of this post, which archives and documents almost every competitive bug. I put your thread under: Invisible Player Models. Please help in spreading the word about this megathread and other related threads regarding these issues.

1 Like

Had this happen to me for the first time last night in competitive mystery heroes then again today in role queue comp. Would start with losing visual on my own chatacter’s arms and most of the sound effects. Then either my team or the other team become floating colored orbs (blue for us, red for them) with no character models and it sometimes switches between the players as the game progresses.

Capturing in game footage shows full character models in the highlight playback.

Any update on this from Blizzard? Based on this thread its been happening for a few months for people.

2 Likes

Just had this happen to me about 10 minutes ago.

2 Likes

First time ever happened, it was Mystery Hero comp and it was totally game breaking.
”Luckily” got it on stream, if it makes any difference: Twitch

Also side note: killcams weren’t suddenly working either.

Impossible to play like that.
Not going to hold my breath for a fix, as this seems to have been around for quite some time already.

4 Likes

Just had this exact same thing happen to me in two different comp games quite aggravating to say the least

2 Likes

i got the same thing the difference i had is that i couldnt even see mei wall or other ultimate

2 Likes

I’ve been having this bug daily for a couple weeks now! I can’t see my character model or my enemy/ally. Just floating orbs with name tags. Some of the sound is distorted as well. It makes the match completely unplayable. Please blizzard devs.

1 Like

Me thinks all y’all hardware is failing yo.

1 Like

It’s now about a half year since overwatch 2 has been released and this game breaking bug still exists. What the living duck. Fix this now. It just ruined my experience competely. I don’t play overwatch often but how am I expected to want to play if when I come back this is what I get? /signed paying customer

2 Likes

Bump. Just happened to me for the first time in a competitive match. Between this and the derank bug for those who logged in when the season started, we’re off to a rough Season 4 start.

2 Likes

Same, completely game breaking, enemy tank was invisible to me, then it was the enemy Bastion, you can imagine how dangerous an invisible Bastion could be… and in competitive matches, super frustrating.

There’s no easy “report bug” function Blizzard, i can report toxic players with my eyes closed, but it took me half an hour to report this issue

2 Likes

Bump.

This happened to me just now, and not for the first time, this is the third time, so granted this isnt very common.

It was on compet, gold lobby Mystery Heroes.

Weird thing is, the game was absolutely fine on defense.

Then on attack I could only see 2 out of the 5 models on the enemy team and as the clock ticked, my team mates and I also turned into blue orbs.

Is it possible someone could be instigating this effect?

Is was sus because I mentioned it in the chat and few opponents very quickly replied gg, one of which ended up with 60 kills.

Mind you…gold lobby.

Just wanted to update the thread. I logged onto my battle net acct for the first time to send this because the bug annoyed me that much, and it goes without saying it renders the match unplayable, sadly.

Any comms or action on this?

Thanks.

2 Likes

same just happened to me, our tank calling whole team awful stuff in chat but thats something else.
How am I supposed to dps is the enemy are invisible? I died to junk so amny times while he was invisible with me wondering what was happening. Death cam shows very clearly his approach and clinical dispach of me. its obvious that I cant see him because not once do I shoot him. somethings really wrong with this game again, pretty much standard thoughts since OW2 launch i’m afraid. Yes I know Blizz claim DDoS yesterday but this issue has been in game for so long according to the boards. :frowning:

2 Likes