In GM, 18/28 heroes have less than 2% pickrates

lol yeah, I watch this Mercy main named Kaz’s stream and his east coast games look horrible. My friend SugarFree is also East Coast and says it sucks.

Well Brig is really strong right now and so is hanzo but MOST of the heroes are pretty balanced most of the time. Wait till this patch when the nerfs come in.

1 Like

Yeah when the Brig and Hanzo nerfs come and Ana buffs the meta will be amazing IMO.

1 Like

the pickrate curve probably shouldn’t be this steep?

20\27 heros below 2.39% with the lowest above that being 4.33%, almost double the pickrate.

20\27 is around 74%

if you applied this to a larger hero pool, say, 142, that means 105 heros are below 2.50% pickrate and only 37 are above that and around 25 of those heros would have a 10% or higher pickrate and around 6 would be 4% and 8%

I hope this helps illustrate how bad the pickrate curve is, it is possible to do better, go look at the pickrate curve for league of legends, which has 142 heros in its roster, it slowly goes from .11% to 18% but the only big jump is at the end so only one hero causes the pickrate to become very steep instead of 37

oh an league of legends has double the amount of heros above 2.5% pickrate than overwatch would have with the current stats increased for a larger pool, league has uh around 75 heros above 2.5%

Oh these stats are from champion.gg and overbuff

tdlr: hero curve could be less steep.

At only the top of the ladder does that matter and I think it again comes down to a couple of heroes being really strong forcing a meta. Once the patch hits, everything should be gucci.

Also, people forgot how to space out and play around grav/dragon. I’m actually happy about that because if they did, they’d still be playing dive. I like the fresh hero faces!

sorry i cant tell what post you are replying too

Thank you. So out of 40M internationally (going off Jeff’s latest OW Update blurb), 400,000 are at GM or higher. Out of 40M players (or accounts). That makes for 39600000 players this doesn’t apply to. My only point being, when it applies to only ~1% of the total gaming population, should balance changes be predicated upon that?

the pickrate curve being what it is.

They are now, thank you Hanzo and Brigitte!

1 Like

If they were, I think torb would have been changed ages ago. That being said, OWL is played by the best and there’s the argument as to whether to patch for the pros that millions watch or patch for the golds that millions play.

Millions or hundreds of thousands (in reference to OWL average viewers)?

mm ok im confused, the pickrate curve should only not be steep at the top of the ladder? is that what you are saying?

my stats are based off the top of the ladder

1 Like

That’s what I said tbh. But people keep saying armor piercing might make him way too strong.

1 Like

if they give armor piercing to anyone it better be reaper

Yes. At the top of the ladder, people will have the game down to a science. Right now, that means brig and Hanzo and whatever compliments and counters them at the same time.

Wait, not only at the top of the ladder. It shouldn’t be steep anywhere but it is always steepest at the top.

ok so at the top of the ladder the pickrate curve is not good which isn’t good yes?

i mean the pickrate curve isn’t very good overall either 13\27 heros are below 3% 7\27 heros are 2% or below (im counting reaper because 2.08%)

meh reapers picked less then like 1 fourth of those heroes from diamond to gm anyway df sombra symm torb etc

As we established earlier, the GM meta has a heavy influence over the rest of the ranks. Also, when heroes are as broken as Hanzo and Brig, even the bottom of the ladder can see it and exploit it. They definitely are a problem right now.

I firmly believe that those two heroes are completely responsible for the very poor pick rates of the other heroes.

Reaper needs help. He really does the DIE DIE DIE all to himself.

But what I’m saying is that for 39M other players that is not that case. Should the game cater to the 1% and trust that it has a trickle-down effect or observe the overall trend of a broader player base?