*Important* OW2: About Phone Numbers

Can we be honest here for a moment…Cause the SMS really help COD servers to prevent smurfing, cheating, and toxicity. HONEST QUESTION! Because I see this same issue arising on the COD side as well.

2 Likes

I didn’t know this! i think the phone number is to prevent smurfs but then again, i don’t know if valve, hi rz, or riot have these issues like overwatch and still use SMS without numbers. If so, there is NO need for phone numbers. at all.

Honestly, I’m getting more and more mad the more I find things out about this. I nver EVER come on the forums, hence my small post number, but I had to when this happened because this is just ridiculous. there are so many players out there who would have been more than happy to give money for BP etc. but they were excluded because “lOl wRonG pHonE pLan! HeR dEr” It sounds more and more dumb the more I think about it actually…

Also, I heard from some people that it doesn’t work at all for COD and some claim it does. I am seeing smurfs saying they are finding ways around it now by using certain methods but there is no valid proof on it yet as far as I know?

I don’t think phones should be used at ALL but they SHOULD have at least only tried giving it to Comp first because that is where all of the people mostly complain about them. If they started with comp, then it would have been optional to input a number so smurfs and cheaters won’t join comp games and then everyone will still be allowed to play the game. It would be fair to both sides and the easiest solution i think so far for this situation.

3 Likes

A few points that have been repeated again and again.

1. Certain providers are not compatible with battlenet. Cricket and MetroPCS both have options for contract prepaid plans and can receive SMS but it just doesn’t work with battlenet.

2. Honestly the concept of people saving for a big purchase like a computer or game system seems so foreign to people. Computers and consoles are a one time purchase-phones are a monthly payment.

And yes there are subscriptions for consoles -but those can be invested overtime through either paying monthly/3months/6months/yearly.

As for internet, that’s a utility and it varies from player to player if they need to pay (as if they’re kids and don’t pay bills) or have it already budgeted as a utility.

1. Phones aren’t as necessary nowadays with things like phone/dial apps being available and public WiFi being more and more accessible.

You say they’re claimed “victim” when there are legit reasons for not having or just not needing a phone.

Technology is evolving my guy. Things like beepers are long gone. Landlines are slowly going away and becoming less and less used. Heck internet through phone lines is a thing of the past.

10 Likes

I kind of wonder how this’ll effect certain groups of streamers. One’s that are more hesitant to put any type of info on the internet because they might be a demographic that is more likely to be harassed, or are required to be secretive with their identities, such as certain groups of vtubers.

Remember the time when people complained because they claimed they didn’t have a PC to to unlock the D.Va officer skin and Blizz caved in and then said okay everyone will get it as we will add it to lootboxes later? If the majority of players on here are PC users, how is that possible then that nobody had a PC to get her? That would mean the “minority” was complaining accoridng to that logic and in turn they still gave in, because it was the right thing to do overall, despite the statistics. Now, they are calling us the “minority” so how does that add up saying “we don’t matter”?

That’s what I don’t get. So they are just being hypocrites technically because everyone matters. If Blizz was allowing that, they should bypass this or find a way everyone can play.

3 Likes

THIS! I have a contract prepaid plan with Metro by TMobile (MetroPCS) and I recieve SMS messages, however, Battlenet and Blizzard refused to call it valid even though Metro is a subsidary of TMobile/Sprint at this point.

6 Likes

Officer DVA AND Oni Genji for Heroes of the Storm. Yeah I remember that being an issue cause it wasn’t available for console.

While I was miffed cause I do have a PC and did the challenges I did understand the reasoning-but also knew some other games had things like PC only or Console only cosmetics.

I get where you’re coming from regardless in the comparison. It was an effort on Blizz to prevent any sort of backlash for the inaccessibility that console players had.

1 Like

This! Like I honestly could careless about Competitive, I want to play QPC, Arcade, and PVE. Give us other options. For example, in order to play Competitve on DOTA2 you have to have your phone number connected. Valve allows prepaid carriers, but not VoIP because the latter is much more exploitable than the former. If you dont you can’t play competitive.

Also I’ve been playing OW since 2018 and I’ve been in good standings. No warnings, no bans, 1 account, no hits by VAC for cheating. I have almost all the OW1 cosematics including OWL skins I paid for. Why am I, like many others, being punished for the minute smurf population compare to the numerous people who have been barred due to having prepaid carriers.

3 Likes

Yeah, for real. even if your phone can handle SMS, if it doesn’t go through the “right requirements” which are technically a list of things you need to not fall under, you can’t play. It really is a joke.

“Like, first you need a number to play OW2!”

“Okay! Cool, got it no prob!”

“But it has to be post paid with SMS!”

“Okaaaay checks phone! cool, I got it!”

“Buuut it has to have a certain provider!”

“Uhhh where does it say th-”

“Also! You can’t have a pre paid phone that is now a post paid phone cause that won’t work either and not all post paid phones will work because of this issue however there are some pre paids that will work with of SMS but not all will. VOIP is also with certain pre paids so even if you have SMS you really can’t add it because of this also, I need your blood type, drivers license, health insurance and we need to ask about your cars extended warranty”

walks out

Seriously, it is a joke.

5 Likes

This is all you need to know about WHY this is happening. If you don’t have the money to throw at their overpriced skins and constant battlepasses, they don’t want you.

Either be an open wallet or hit the road so far as ActivisionBlizzard is concerned.

this might be insensitive of me to say but, how can people not have a phone number? how do you go about life at all?

1 Like

Well, i can assure you that their assumption was a wrong one because I have a pre paid and was willing to fork over not only 10 bucks for BP but to buy skins too. I have been making purchases to OW1 as well since the beginning from OWl coins, to the breast cancer mercy skin. To assume someone’s phone plan equates their wealth, while understandable to a degree, but also the dumbest thing because their are now being judgmental.

When people like a game, they will throw money at them NO MATTER what. These people are mostly addicted and if if their money is gonna go somewhere, it will be a game they love, that being OW. Credit cards, paypal, whatever, you name it, people will find a way to get things, especially if children are involved. They always do. They already have almost 99 percent by the you know what. Money will just flow and they know it. They are gonna make bank no matter what.

People who make purchases to any game being looked at for their phone number as validation for their income level is just as ignorant as someone who makes mad bank but decides to dress up wearing non name brand clothes or not have high end cars. People do this because they are true money savers and don’t care for what others think. Thats the problem though, Blizz cares about that and so they are taking face value here over the real cause and this is what the real issue is IF that is the case.

3 Likes

Here’s the problem, someone having a prepaid phone plan =/= they can’t afford OW2 content.

I have a prepaid phone, because I don’t use a lot of the options that come with a contract phone. Why do I need all these other services (streaming, music, amazon, google, etc.) when all I want is simple data, talk, and text. Why do I need to have a contract that I have to agree to when I pay my month to month just fine with prepaid and my credit wont get penalized.

Some people don’t want/can’t have cellular service, but still play video games.

As I stated previously many game developers use SMS protect, but they don’t axe prepaid consumers. The is literally the first I’ve witnessed people being barred because of what type of phone service they choose.

7 Likes

it’s not about having no phone number, it’s about having one, but not having the RIGHT phone plan they want us to have. We all pay for phone numbers, majority do, it’s because we don’t have a post paid phone or the right provider that is messed up and causing people anger.

My phone can access SMS no prob but guess what? I can’t log in because it is a “pre paid phone” which means, they are scared I can drop my line anytime as opposed to a “post paid plan” where it isn’t as likely so they can guarantee better service and odds for their SMS protect. Okay, i get it, but a LOT of people have pre paid phones and a lot are on a financial system we are comfortable with and technically they are saying “Hey? Wanna play” Get this provider, pay this much, or you can’t play despite already paying for a provider. Sorry, not sorry" Plus, even those WITH post paids some can’t play because they have rules as to certain qualifications you need to have with this number, so if people were once a pre paid phone and switched over to post paid? Sorry, you can’t play. It’s a joke.

That is why people are upset. Plus other reasons on top of that.

5 Likes

I’ve done it for 30 years. I have a land line. It costs me $5 a month. If people need to get a hold of me, that’s how they do it. If I’m out of the house, I’m probably too busy doing something to call or text you anyway. Just leave a message, and I’ll get back to you.

4 Likes

I think what is even more wild is that no one is addressing it. Not the Devs, not Blizzard/Activision, OWL players, nor content creators. The fact the latter are suppose to be a bridge between devs and players, is even more disheartening. None of the big named streamers or YTs are talking about it or even bringing awareness about it.

It seems they are OUTRIGHT ignoring it and sweeping it under the rug. Copypasta responses from FAQ from support, no responses from social media from Devs, OW, or Blizzard. Even content creators ignoring comments about it in their streams or in the section on their videos.

Blizzard/Activision nor OW Devs have given a good reason to alienate prepaid phone consumers when their other competitors haven’t done the same.

9 Likes

Making themselves look good to their new bosses so they don’t get fired.

This month.

4 Likes

Correct!

What i find funny is I recall the devs saying they want to be more transparent with us and have more open lines of communication, yet so far, nothing. What? Is there idea of “open lines of communication” something like: “Hey everyone a new hero is coming” I can hope they are right now trying to figure put what to say either before launch (which is literally like 3 days away) or on the day of launch (which i HIGHLY doubt because they will be running around like crazy that day) I bet they are told they can’t though by the chain of command.

What kind of baffles me more is they have never tried this out before AND what they should have done was at LEAST make it comp only first before they did this that way people can still go in and play. At this rate, many just want to play the dang game. It’s hard for m to believe they sat around a table and said “This is what we should do for SMS” and not look at statistics involving pre paid plans, families with more than one phone and those without a phone. This tells me they must have did this on purpose because they know they will be making mad bank anyways, then again, that D.Va skin fiasco says otherwise so maybe they just over look things. I am hoping it’s the latter.

They know they stepped in it this time and don’t know what to do. I bet you they are like “Oh ****, what did we do? :grimacing:” and then are like “Ehhh, whatever, imma just pretend I didn’t see this, ANYWAYS onto OW2!” 100% they are. We prob won’t get a response until like a week or two in IF we are lucky…

I don’t think it’s the devs. they are for us imho, trying their best to make it good for us as a whole. it’s the higher ups that do this type of crap and tell them. The devs probably already knew this would happen.

I want them to prove me wrong though. Doubt they will.

4 Likes

Ok, but everyone else is living in the 21st century. Time to get a cell phone, the government already has every single aspect of data on you imaginable lol…

…But I just said I have no need for one.

2 Likes