*Important* OW2: About Phone Numbers

I believed its more about the whole “phone plan” issue. I see where you’re coming from with most gamers having phones, but not everyone has the right phone/plan.
I think it should not be a requirement to change one’s phone plan to play a video, especially if someone has a cheaper plan.

6 Likes

There are plenty of reasons to be on pre-paid; I dropped postpaid plans a long time ago because I realised I’m around wifi 99% of the time and if you have the cash for the device upfront it’s actually cheaper than getting it on contract, makes no sense to sign up for a fixed plan. Also, the postpaid ones include talk and text (outbound), and who needs that?

I think Blizzard is well aware of all of this. I think every little thing they do is geared to milking the tiny portion of their playerbase who will drop thousands on tickets and skins for the league no one asked for or wildly overpriced plastic from the merch store. And out of people with a pre-paid vs. a post-paid plan I’m sure it’s clear who that is. We’ll see if it will make enough of a dent that their shareholders ask questions, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t.

2 Likes

With the prices they gave in the shop for skins everybody at this point is about to go on pre paid phones lol

Honestly, this is a dumpsterfire.

4 Likes

yeah, I understand what a question is…

But in order for me to answer your question, I’d like to know how you came to the conclusion I was excusing it in my initial post.

Question for everyone.

I heard some saying they cannot log into OW1 without a number. Is this true?

I ask because I can just fine, I’m on console and I don’t have a number attached.

I’m also on console and still able to play without a phone number.

1 Like

I just heard from someone on pc saying they have two options. One to add a number and another but i dont think they can still play? Not sure. I was just wondering.

Nvm. They can still play.

On PC I couldn’t launch the game at all without adding a phone #. It was a couple days ago, but from what I remember the play button brought up a pop-window asking this instead of launching the game.

Is it currently playable now for you?

Yes, I got a working # through Talkatone.

1 Like

How much a month is it?

So it’s supposedly a free service, but the battlenet verification message is considered a premium message so you have to make a purchase of some kind. I paid $2 to remove ADs, and that was enough, but it sounds like you may not be able to keep the same phone # permanently unless you pay $4/month. But, if you only ever have to verify once, then it shouldn’t matter unless you want to change the # later.
I’m going to wait until OW2 launch to see if this even continues working, because this service shouldn’t work accord to the restrictions they listed.

1 Like

Interesting. If you only need to verify it once and it’s done, that is a steal then! However, I heard they will be possibly doing routine check ins every so often (not sure how often if they do) to see if it’s still valid so keeping it up may need to happen. Not sure if this is true but it sounds plausible.

I truly hope they fix this. I want you and so many others to get in to play. Seeing everyone trying to help one another is beautiful yet it’s so sad. People shouldn’t have to do this. Like, I honestly feel saddness everytime I see someone trying to get a number. It seems so wrong you know?

2 Likes

Yea, I saw a couple people mention the possibility of routine checks, but I couldn’t tell if that was just speculation or not (there are just…so many posts, my brain is becoming mush). Still if they are doing routine checks, $4/month isn’t too bad if this continues working.

1 Like

I can agree with you on that it is a steal. Do you need a different phone or a new provider to get, what was it, straight talk? Is it really safe? That seems too good to be true no? 4 bucks a month? Hmm…I’m going to look into it…

1 Like

Talkatone, Straight Talk is something else. Talkatone is just an app. It bills through my Apple account, so it should be easy to cancel if it doesn’t work out.

As fair as whether or not it’s safe, IDK, I’m not really an app person so I don’t know what to be weary of lol. I’m just living life on the edge here.

They bill you through itunes I read? Not sure what that is aha

What is even more interesting is that I read from consumers it is a VOIP number they give you. Oddly, they claim you can’t use those yet yours works?

You are very brave indeed aha For the most part it seems sincere. I am still looking into it as I don’t feel I read enough just yet. Apps can be tricky at times so I am wondering who they are.

Creating OW2 to keep a dying game alive then you lock out the majority of the player base with this!? Most of your players either are Uni students who work part time who don’t have phone plans or children who don’t have phones. You need another alternative to this! Its an absolute joke! Best of luck keeping your players, I’m off to play Fortnite.

5 Likes

Heed my advice do NOT use temporary numbers!

SMS protect is another “authenticator” on your account and if you lose access to it you potentially lose access to your entire account.

I’d think this twice if I were you …

3 Likes

This makes a lot of sense and this is actually scary. I did just read one person say the app cut her number off randomly. Not sure the context behind this though as it could be anything but if say I give them the benefit of a doubt, it would add up to what you said. The price was too good and I don’t think it’s worth loosing your account over either.

One reason I am not budging just yet or jumping the gun. Oddly, I read they claim the app’s numbers to be VOIP so I wonder how it’s getting through?

1 Like