I'm not married to the idea of 2-2-2

There seems to be some misconception over RQ and 2-2-2 so I’ll share why I was always for RQ. 2-2-2 was never the main goal, it just so happened that everyone agreed that this comp was what we should go for if RQ was to be a thing. But even still any kind of RQ would have been better than what we had before. 1-3-2, 1-4-1…whatever. What I hated about older OW was never knowing what you’re going to play.

I like to play certain heroes. Mainly dps like Sombra, Tracer or S76. I also enjoy playing some tank like Zarya or Hamster. Support is more rare but I could tolerate Moira. The worst part of pre-RQ OW was queuing up with the intent of playing dps and having 3 people insta-lock dps with no intention of switching. I want to play my heroes but at the same time I wanted to try and win. So I’d swallow my pride and go tank/support.

Now sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn’t. I’ve had 3-4 dps comps beat 2-2-2. I’ve had 2-2-2 comps and lost to 5 dps before although that was rare. But after years of that system it starts to eat away at you. After a while you start asking yourself, “why should I have to sacrifice my fun because of some selfish players?” And I’ll admit I gave into the anger and would pick that 4th, 5th or even 6th dps out of anger for my team. It’s hard for a system like this to not poison your soul and turn you into the toxic monster you hate so much.

I was on the verge of quitting OW entirely before RQ was announced. I was already spending most of my time other games. But once RQ hit the ptr everything changed, I remember those weeks I spent more time on ptr than the actual game lol. I could never go back to “normal” OW once I got a taste of RQ. There isn’t that feeling of unfairness where you get 5 dps and the other team has 2-2-2. There isn’t that fear of not knowing whether or not you can play you main without putting your team at a disadvantage.

And honestly 1-3-2 is not that different. 2-2-2 may be better, but what you all have to realize is that for me and I guess players like me the comp is not the most important thing. Knowing you get to play what you want without making other unreasonable sacrifices is what makes RQ so great. When I queue up as a solo tank I know what to expect. Same with DPS or support.

So far the queue times for 1-3-2 are amazing. Each role I’m getting games in no more than 2 or 3 minutes. There’s some issues with balance but I don’t think they’re things that can’t be worked out. Even if 1-3-2 doesn’t become the “new” RQ I sure hope it comes back as an arcade mode. I’m able to play heroes that are pretty bad in 1-3-2. Sombra is actually super powerful. Tracer feels has impact again.

So please don’t think of things in terms of 2-2-2 or 1-3-2 but realize that RQ is the main thing that matters. And to blizz, please consider keeping 1-3-2. It’s a ton of fun and feels like an actual fps.

end rant

5 Likes

I wanna see what a 1-2-2 game mode would be like.

1 Like

That would make supports feel a lot less vulnerable. But the tanks as they are might be pretty op with only 2 dps. Sounds interesting though.

Could bump up Tank damage, or reduce barrier HP is that becomes an issue.

It’s one of those ideas that lazy people who have nothing better to do come up with. It says a lot that the first time I’ve seen it mentioned was after Seagull came up with it out of the vacuum of his mind. I mean goodness gracious are some of you trying to scrape the bottom of every barrel.

Isn’t the experimental card meant for trying crazy stuff?

“Crazy”, yes, lazy and stupid, that’s a waste of time.

I mean I got a bit more thought put into it than just a numbers swap.

✅ Next Experiment: 1-2-2 SoloTank

1 Like

Here’s some thought and scope.

Reducing the sizes of teams is just lazy and stupid. Queue times will be reduced less.

Less than 1-3-2, but 2x better than 2-2-2.

And maybe better than 1-3-2 since that mode is limited by a lack of Healers.