Illari is new best girl

Her kit is trash, and she was forced on release to kind of be a hero for dps players that ended up in support from flex queue…

But! Illari’s personality is pretty chill.

I don’t much like her voice lines, but her emotes are very expressive.

You can feel the burden she carries with her subtle facial expressions. Like she’s being careful not to be too happy about things because she still feels guilty about her past.

Neat details I noticed.

Illari cute.

5 Likes

I want to like Illari, but its difficult mostly from a kit standpoint. Supports are generally the most heavily targeted units in the game when possible and its not uncommon to get dogpiled by a tank, a dps, and possibly another unit off in the distance the moment you appear.

It is hard to stomach playing anything that doesn’t have a bunch of natural evasion or mobility to combat being targeted by like 2-3 units at a time. Too much of Illari’s kit is for more slower moving team compositions which is rare in OW2 generally.

12 Likes

I understand, completely. It almost makes me want to justify her damage.

But I’d rather her just lose the damage and “dps-ness,” in exchange for better or more useful utility.

1 Like

i dont have a good impression of illari, she feels like a worse senna to me in every way. her hair bangs also looks like weed. I only know her as the uuuu noo forgivnes!!

I also hate the trend of glowing eyes in a lot of movies and overwatch skins, it just DOES NOT look good. I like her braids though.

I think there are some small adjustments they could make to make her feel better to play.

Give her a 20m beam on heals rather than 15m. It won’t feel as punishing trying to maintain a safe distance and playing with other comps wont’ feel as bad. As well as say lower the cooldown on outburst from 8sec down to 6 or 7sec. Maybe slightly lower the knockback radius or dmg it does to compensate, but being able to reposition more rapidly on a 6-7sec cooldown would feel much nicer.

Remove some of the minor annoyances with her kit like why can solar rifle not charge its dps power during melee, healing, and reload? You have to reload THEN still wait for the power to increase. Or how when you do heal you are stuck waiting for the damage and recharge.

2 Likes

I still think she has much more points than would put her in the DPS category than in the support one. She is an off healer that is pretty much hit or miss, but has no team utility like discord, speed, damage boost or anything else. Pretty much a generic DPS hero, where the DPS was nerfed and slapped some healing onto them.

I dont think I will ever like her.

Fair.

Not directed at anyone specifically, but… just to be clear, I had initially posted this regarding her character. Lore-wise or what not.

So how do you feel about her character/personality?

1 Like

Illari has the worst utility next to Moira. She’s a ton of fun tho working on your aim mechanics. Something supports are bad at. All boosted by broken utility/ ultimate’s nano, immortality field, suzu, rez/ damage boost, anti, tree of life

Illari feels outclassed even when you want to play aim heroes. Ana, Kiriko are just easier with anti, suzu, nano, kitsune and longer range heals.

A ton of supports need nerfs/ reworks to their utility/ ultimate’s

3 Likes

Nah, according to Blizzard she is far from new best girl. That spot is reserved to their anime waifu bait, their cash cow Kiriko.

Illari was neglected even before her release, i remember them not even showing her gameplay or origin story trailer until the season was out. She was put in the game with very, very little lore and connection to OW and other heroes. She barely has any voice lines in game.

And if this all is not enough, she was put in the game in a fairly strong state i would say, she was strong, but never broken or OP like some content creators and players were crying about her. Everyone was so quick to ask for her to be gutted, but they didn’t even let players adapt to Pylon and something kinda new in the game. I believe that Illari was used to sell the BP and then ruined with all the nerfs. Her current state in game is just SAD! While heroes like Kiriko and Bap, dominating Supports are being buffed or getting slap on the wrist nerfs like 6 less ammo. :clown_face:

7 Likes

Ok. I hear you. I really do.

But she has a nice smile.

1 Like

Eh, female characters really struggle to sell the “damaged character” archetype. Idk why. Characters like Zuko, Wolverine, Big Boss, or Batman would just not be as interesting if they were chicks.

Disagree and it might be bias because I was reading a manga with a character that’s has a similar backstory to illari (girl who obtains the power of a sun God has has everyone she knew killed) and it’s pretty interesting.

I personally like illari, the issue is just like a lot of overwatch characters; there’s just not enough to the heroes’ story. Sigma is another character who I find interesting but there’s barely anything story wise about him

1 Like

Name?

I want to find a damaged lady character that’s done right, but so far they’ve all been misses.

Look at WoW’s Sylvanas, she’s just a full bag of yikes. They even rewrote her entire lore to try to make her more understandable and lol, yeah nah. Just awful.

I feel like that has to do with how men process their feelings compared to women.Men tend to suppress their feelings and keep trying to appear strong.While women are encouraged to be emotional. (of course,it’s not a rule set in stone).

1 Like

Watch violet evergarden!

It isn’t an action series or anything, but it’s a 10/10 anime with a female MC.

1 Like

If I remember the name but it’s been a minute

Perhaps but I think that’s also a bias. There are a lot of terrible male characters with the same issue. There’s kinda not that many good females in gaming historically or even just media

I’m not trying to say illari is peak character writing I just think she needs to be explored more. And unfortunately overwatch has not done a good job at exploring its characters

I also agree with the original comment that her emotes are pretty good. I also just like sun powered type characters admittedly

My only hope for Illari is apparently season 9 map being Peru. I hope that it’s Illari’s solar city Runasapi and that we will find out and have something more about this character. I want her to be redeemed, but i don’t have high hopes.

1 Like

Hard disagree shes a 14 year olds oc made real, a lone wolf edge lord. And best girl is brig

PRAISE THE SUN :sunny: :raised_hands:

Something something dark souls reference

1 Like

I love her. Already got like 50 hours with illari. Her ult is so good too if you time it right. The pylon can be a great distraction. Kinda like a torb turret. They will go for it and your team can take advantage of that

1 Like