"If you're so upset about Mercy, just play a different hero"

(sigh) let’s edit this again!

Let’s start this off with a disclaimer: I’ve already switched heroes and am playing a much wider hero pool. I still miss the fun of old Mercy, and would like to add her back to my hero pool.

You can accuse me of “just wanting her to be op again”, but what I really want is for Mercy to have a much higher skill ceiling than she currently does. Right now you can only really master her basics, since E-rez is so black-and-white on how/when to use it , and Valk does all the work for you.

There used to be an entire extra dimension of strategy for active Mercies who split their time between running for their lives and planning out when/where the next tempo rez would be needed. I’m disappointed that the devs didn’t even try to rework ult!rez before deleting it… in favor of an ult that they had already tried during alpha, but originally decided against because “it didn’t feel like an ult”.

In the end, it’s the drastically lowered skill ceiling that’s made Mercy so uninteresting to me. A big fun factor in this game for me is the concept of and perusal of hero mastery.

56 Likes

How is she any less interesting to play now than she was pre-Rework? Her core kit and play style has remained the same, she GAINED some form of movement tech with the GA bug that they turned into a feature, and her Ult is no longer press Q to do a thing.

48 Likes

Mercy needs to make her pistol more effective. I know its dumb but it will make Mercy more fun to play as.

2 Likes

I don’t understand how people think she’s uninteresting now. Her core mechanics haven’t changed much, besides the GA momentum ability they implemented a while back which actually makes her more engaging.

People who think that her ult isn’t impactful enough don’t have a great understanding of this game.

She’s currently in the best place that she’s ever been. Powerful enough that she sees a lot of play from bronze to OWL, but not a must pick. I wish all healers where this balanced.

32 Likes

She is still viable. She can still Rez just no more flying in and Insta-Rezzing away flying away in the blink of an eye.

Rez has to be cast just right and at the perfect time. She is now harder to play properly. You need to be more careful now as you can get punished for being sloppy

12 Likes

No hero is going to be interesting to play for the entire playerbase.

7 Likes

Mercy’s gameplay was all about that thrilling cat-and-mouse with a heavy dose of RTS.

Mercy was given an ult so valuable that everyone would (or at least should) hunt her down to stop it, and Mercy’s kit was designed to keep her on the lookout and on the run.

Ult!rez gave context to every other moment of Mercy’s gameplay: you’d be running for your life, while simultaneously trying to figure out the best way to use rez to keep your team’s momentum going and turn the tables on the enemy.

Now rez is very black-and-white in when/how it’s supposed to be used, and is more of an interruption to Mercy’s gameplay than part of it. Valkyrie doesn’t do anything a skilled Mercy can’t already do with good beam juggling and GA shuffling - it’s literal ez mode.

I miss that frantic cat-and-mouse that climaxed in transforming into a dark horse that rode in to save the day. It made being hunted nonstop worth it.

22 Likes

I’d rather have a balanced, but unfun hero, over an unbalanced but fun hero.

Sorry that she got reworked, but she’s in a good spot now, balance-wise.

She’s fine, for now. Other heros need looking at balance-wise, like Bastion or Torb.

5 Likes

Sure, but at higher levels of play she was weaker. In fact so weak that she was almost never picked. I’d prefer the current Mercy over that iteration.

4 Likes

But… the whole point of playing a video game is to have fun. I don’t get this double standard that says Mercy can only be balanced or fun, but not both at the same time.

I have no problem waiting my turn in the balancing line while more time-sensitive balance issues are addressed, but it’s disheartening that the last dev communication about Mercy implied that they’re happy with her current design and have no intention of revisiting her… ever.

25 Likes

Your argument is so flawed.

I absolutely hate the playstyle of Genji, Solider, Mcree, Doomfist, Reinheart, Roadhog, and Lucio. I find them all incredibly boring, and feel like their kits don’t flow when I play them. But do you see me out here asking for them to be changed to fit MY personal idea of “fun”.

…what? That makes no sense…just because you don’t find her fun, it doesn’t mean that their is a “problem” with the hero. Is their a problem with Widowmaker because infrasight is boring and feels unimpactful?

Except Mercy isn’t shattered? She’s exceptionally strong, balanced, engaging, her skill ceiling is higher than it was pre-rework, her pickrate is high in Comp, QP, and OWL, and she is beloved by many people. Mercy is the exact opposite of “shattered”/“broken”.

16 Likes

I don’t think anyone is opposed to her being eventually revisited to make her more fun.

But, it’s a subjective thing. People want her to be “fixed” immediately over a subjective aspect of a hero, when there are others who are objectively underwhelming and underperforming who should be receiving priority.

3 Likes

I find Tracer horrific to play in this meta. It’s dull, it’s ineffective (statistically, she is poor, unlike Mercy), she is at best a distraction.

Yet I don’t flood the forums with nonsensical posts about a personal opinion, and ask for buffs to a hero who doesn’t need them.

Mercy is fine.

4 Likes

Exactly, other heroes like Sombra need much more immediate help. Sombra feels both clunky AND is underpowered statistically.

5 Likes

I am finally play more Mercy in this meta and spending less time on Moira

Moira was my answer to Genji. Not that I have Brig to keep him away I can focus on pure healing

1 Like

If you can only have fun on 1 hero, and said hero is no longer fun for you, then you either need to switch heros or switch games.

I haven’t been having fun on Bastion since he got gutted, which made him near-unplayable. Now I rarely play him and since the rest of the game’s balance irks me I also play other games now.

It’s disheartening that OW had so much potential but now it’s in the gutter because it’s been 2 years of horrendous balance decisions. I get that you don’t like where Mercy is at, I don’t either, but at this state all I want is balance. Current Mercy can’t get better unless they rework her again, since she had to be watered down in her current state.

The fact that they called it a success (meaning they fixed her previous problems, like hide and go rez) just blows me away. I’m done trusting them for balance, which is why that’s all I want atm. I’d rather have Bastion be playable over him being fun.

2 Likes

Tell me.

How is Mercy’s skill ceiling “higher?” The best Mercies in the world have made public announcements that they either quit Mercy or Overwatch altogether, because this new version is “braindead easy”.

7 Likes

You’re joking, right?

ANYONE could make a game with balanced characters. The struggle which leads to successful games is that characters are balanced AND fun. Not one or the other.

Mercy is balanced, but the rework did not create anything fun. In fact, what remains to be fun about Mercy is what did NOT change with the rework. Take Zenyatta: he has no escapes and deals with constantly getting dived, yet I enjoy playing him not just for the base, but also for his ult, Transcendence.

Transcendence can save a team from certain defeat; Valkyrie can not because its power is being spread amongst several factors.

Resurrect did have the potential to save a team. You could hide away with it. But, that lead to your team having a major disadvantage: no main healer, and even if she rezzed 5 people, its not like the ult did anything else. So save your ults! If you knew Mercy hadnt ulted in a while, save your ult as a backup. DO NOT use it to start the fight.

That’s what Resurrect did: it kept ults at bay. Now, people just ult whenever because there is no major force to stop it! Even transcendence can’t save a team from 3 or 4 ults at once!

Resurrect punished reckless gameplay, but I do agree it needed some QoL changes:

I believe it should work similar to Auriel’s Resurrect in HotS.:
Mercy marks the dead teammates for Resurrection.
She is locked to the 15m zone around where she uses the ult.
The cast is instant, but she must survive 2 seconds WITHOUT leaving that zone.
Any companions who die after the cast are NOT ressed.
She does not receive invulnerability and the res can be stopped by CC or death.
Upon cast, Mercy fully heals all living teammates. (This is to incentivize tempo res)

Also, turn Valk into a normal ability. Just remove some things (gun buff, chain beams, passive buff). 5 sec duration, 15 sec cooldown.

#RestoreMercy

10 Likes

SOMEONE FINALLY SAID IT :raised_hands:

5 Likes

Personally I dislike playing Genji/Tracer and I think they’re uninteresting.

Should Blizzard change them because of my tastes? NO. Get over yourself. Mercy mains complain constantly about things that aren’t even an issue. I love current Mercy, she’s very balanced and fun to play to me.

6 Likes