"If you're so upset about Mercy, just play a different hero"

I already switched heroes. I still want Mercy to be fun again, so I can add her back to my hero pool.

3 Likes

“Upset about Mercy? Just play a different hero!”

Aside from the ultimate changes, Mercy still plays the exact same as before about 99% of the time.

I don’t get how people can get so hung up over this.

Does she need some work? Probably. Is it as awful as everyone tries to make it out to be? No.

5 Likes

Please read the full OP. It explains why Mercy does not play anywhere near the same as pre-rework.

Hey, it’s good to see you again. Why did you change your icon? And to op: well, most of the mercy mains LOVED the hide and Rez mercy, they found fun Rez x5. Valk is good but not the ult I’d like.

1 Like

She no longer has the crutch of instant rez, forcing you to better at healing and keeping your team alive. It forces you to be proactive rather than reactive. Her New Guardian Angel mechanics introduced so many more layers and depth to her movement, positioning, and survivability. Valk is, once again, proactive, not reactive. It also promotes coordination, shotcalling, and working as a team, not just “Die on Point and Ill Press Q since my Ult has zero counterplay”. Her new rez opens up many new opportunities for playmaking, creative positioning/movement while rezzing, and yet again, promotes teamwork. In a team game.

Name one. And don’t say EeveeA, that video of her stream is taken out of context, she still plays Mercy and streams almost daily. Animetic also still plays Mercy, and LittleMenace and KazWasTaken and Zyuun and almost all the other high ranked Mercy mains I can think of. Vale did too before he stopped streaming to pursue his IRL career.

And please don’t say “Magiieee” or any of those Mercy mains who abused Hide-And-Rez to gain ridiculous amounts of SR and cheat the system, and eventually deranked several hundreds/thousands of SR after Mass Rez was removed.

Also, I’m the #4 Mercy on PC and ended top230 in Season 9, I’ve mained her for almost 400 hours do I count as “one of the best Mercy’s in the world”? If so, I never said I would quit Mercy…

13 Likes

Please read the full response, where I said she plays the exact same as before aside from the ultimate changes. And even with the ultimate changes, both ults are brain-dead either way.

Are you still using your healing beam? If you answered yes, it’s the same gameplay as before.

Are you still using your damage beam? If you answered yes, it’s the same gameplay as before.

Are you still using Guardian Angel to zip around the map? If you answered yes, it’s the same gameplay as before.

Oh wait, she has a rez she can use now outside of an ultimate. Correction to previous statement: she plays slightly different now outside of ults because you can revive someone every 30 seconds if needed.

Ultimately (heh) outside of ultimate usage, gameplay never changed, and people that say otherwise just want mass rez back and will say whatever they think is necessary to try and justify it.

6 Likes

Mercy blaster is good as for now. I have killed 2 heroes when Zarya ult.

1 Like

Ik. I said it was dumb but it would make Mercy more fun.

Dude hide n rez was a filthy cheese strat to pad SR. Any Mercy worth her staff stayed with her team and tempo rezzed.

5 Likes

Again, that’s not true.

Do you know Yuno? He’s one of the BEST Mercy mains in the entire game. Consisntently top500 for many seasons, amazing game sense and movement. And unlike most boosted Mercy’s, he didn’t drop after the rework and even was top10 on the top500 leaderboard during Season 6 or 7. If you watch his streams during Mercy 1.0, he often used Hide-and-Rez to win games. It wasn;t “A cheap stat padder” it was a legitimate strategy that her ult promoted and that’s why it was widely used, even in QP where SR wasn’t affected. Many other high SR mercy streamers did it aswell… Yes, many Mercy’s tempo rezzed. They also hid and rezzed. It just depended on the situation.

6 Likes

So you didn’t read this part?

Ult!rez gave context to every other moment of Mercy’s gameplay: you’d be running for your life, while simultaneously trying to figure out the best way to use rez to keep your team’s momentum going and turn the tables on the enemy.

Now it’s just running for your life with jack squat you can do about any big event in a teamfight.

Which I understand. The ONLY problem with that is that it needs a competent you know what team in order to achieve it. Blizzard doesn’t have that team. They reworked Bastion only to make him worse than he already is, what’s fun about that?

Which is why currently I only care about balance atm.

Yeah, that’s a drawback. Pharah gets locked in place when she ults and the infamous “Justice rains from ARGUHHHHH-” meme.

Bastion has to sit through 1.5 second animations, twice, just to ult. Meanwhile Soldier can just press Q.

Life isn’t fair, which is why the only thing on my mind right now is balance. Sorry if that offends you as a Mercy player, but I don’t care. She’s at the end of the wait list, as other heros need more help than her, especially since she’s just lacking “fun,” not balance.

Spare me the rez talk. I’ve seen enough of it during the 6 months of Mercy meta, and the only answer is “Blizzard doesn’t revert.”

Yeah, you too :wink:

and idk what’s wrong with my icon. about a week ago it switched to the default one and I can’t seems to change/update it on the forums.

I wouldn’t say loved, I would say it existed. I played Mercy back in S3 and S4 (which is how she’s my 4th most played hero if you rack up all modes) and I did hide-and-rez, but only on occasion.

It was a viable stat back then because Mercy didn’t have her rez invuln. IMHO that’s what kicked it into overdrive; the rez invuln buff. That made “hide and go rez” 100% possible, since you could only kill her on the 1 second window she would fly out, but even then she could press Q at any moment to save herself.

This actually used to punish her since she would die after rezzing her team. This caused “tempo rezzing” where you rez 2-3 people just so you have more guys than them. This gave you more targets to fly around, too, and dodge enemies with. That all went by the wayside when rez invuln got added. It rewarded sloppy plays and ults. THUS it became a problem, and only then, not prior.

Rez invuln is what broke her.

3 Likes

u realize her bullet size is like 10x bigger than anyone elses so its already super easy to hit people.

1 Like

If blizzard wanted to banish hide n rez, they should have reworked ult!rez accordingly. They didn’t even try to work with it, they just deleted for an ult that they already tried in the alpha but decided against because it didn’t feel like an ultimate.

2 Likes

holy crap, i said it was dumb, i just thought it would be fun if it did happen because Mercy players almost never use their pistols

Not engaging as she used to be? Before the changes all she did was run and hide behind things, waiting to rezz her teammates. It was like playing hide and go seek back then. I’m happy with the new changes, I love her ult, actually flying and using the wings that she has. Now when playing her, you have to think smart, you have to think of who to rezz and positioning yourself correctly for it.

6 Likes

And yet even when Mercy fans say they’re willing to wait at the end of the line, it’s sacrilege to suggest that current Mercy is anything less than perfect.

1 insta Rez on Ult would be nice but I am not pushing it

I’m sure they messed around with different variations of it in internal testing before they even attempted to rework her. I even remember saying that tried giving her an AOE heal as an E ability, but ultimately felt as if it didn’t flow well with her kit. (Kind of Ironic considering her current kit, lol…)

The issue with Mass rez: If you give it a cast time or LoS checks, it can very quickly feel sluggish, useless, unfun (Just like people claim current Rez ability is). If you keep it instant, it lacks counterplay.

What they COULD have done:

1. Mass Rez is still her ultimate- .
  • 0.8 second cast time (Same as Sombra’s hack)
  • When cast, heals all Allies in range for full health and provides damage resistance for a brief period of time

or

• Rez uses different amounts of ult charge depending on the # of people rezzed. (25% ult charge to solo rez, 50% to double rez, 75% to triple rez, etc.) which would promote Mercy players to tempo rez as they wouldn’t feel like it was a waste of ult charge.
  • Has LoS checks

And then give her a new E ability like a burst heal/cleanse/independant mobility.

But that seems complicated to code.

1 Like

Yeah, some people are just idiots who don’t know what they’re talking about. Bastion has an abysmal pickrate and people still hate him.

In that case you really can’t argue with them. I agree that somewhere down the line Blizzard should revisit her, but until then the discussion won’t really go anywhere, at least not with those kinds of people.