If you think Mercy isn't fun or impactful anymore

Unless you were telling people where to die MR was no more or less team reliant than current rez

Towards the end it wasn’t just the changes to Mercy’s kit that made her unfun for me to play. I didn’t mind so much that mass-rez was removed, but I don’t particularly like how they lowered Mercy’s skill-ceiling over time or how they disrupted the flow of Mercy’s kit.

What ruined Mercy for me was a combination of things. She became gradually less fun as a result of her becoming easier to play. On top of this people started to become way more hateful towards me as a Mercy one-trick in quickplay even before the game started. As a solo-queue quickplayer it simply stopped being rewarding to play Mercy because it drained more enjoyment than it gave me. And as a person who don’t really enjoy FPS games in general I was only ever interested in playing Mercy due to the way she doesn’t play like a FPS hero.

So, when Mercy became less fun and the community grew more toxic there came a point when it was no longer worth it. Games are supposed to be fun, it’s not supposed to be about enduring insults, threats or coping with people telling you to go kill yourself because you’re a Mercy one-trick in times of Mercy being overpowered.

4 Likes

I have to find her fun since some other person does.
Sure Jan. Only thing that’s fun about her honestly is GA for me, otherwise the rework just made her kit generally clunky and awkward to use. So much of her value is packed into rez to the point where they had to nerf nearly every other part of her kit to keep it there, if that isn’t a problem then you’re not looking at the full picture.

9 Likes

This whole thread, specifically the original poster, just denotes that: if you’re not having fun with Mercy, that’s your fault and not Mercy and I’m right and fun is subjective but only when I use it as a means to defend myself when I throw it in your face that you not having fun with Mercy means you are the only one and that she is perfectly balanced and fine because I said so and since I said so, that is the absolute decision and you must obey what I think and say.

That’s what you’re getting at. You’re shooting down everyone’s arguments and feelings, which are by the dozens, simply because you disagree with them but without an open mind. Just because you can still enjoy Mercy doesn’t mean she is fine, doesn’t mean she can be enjoyed, because you and I and everyone else are different people and statistics speaks louder than feelings. Statistically, Mercy isn’t in a good spot.

9 Likes

my biggest beef with valk has stayed the same since the rework. it’s the way it makes you interact with your teammates. it practically removes almost every need to juggle between teammates. there’s no thinking who you need to prioritize on healing, dmg boosting. stuff like that. they really should tweak the output between the main target and the chained allies

5 Likes

I mean there’s no thinking when you use a lot of ults…Zen is just move towards people

I don’t know why people are surprised the 1 star support hero doesn’t require intense thought and skill 100% of the time

I didn’t like her for mass resurrection, and she became boring when Blizzard made her easier to play and when they lowered her skill-ceiling.

Over time Blizzard have removed a lot of the quick decision making and target prioritization that was involved in playing Mercy. Valkyrie is a prime example of this, unless you decide to go battle Mercy. Valkyrie takes away target prioritization (chain-beams), it takes away a lot of the crucial positioning (longer beams, improved regeneration for survival, free flight which makes you less reliant on positioning for GA), and if you are a good Mercy player it generates often enough to be frequently available.

Mercy’s current kit rewards good Mercy players by depending less and less on the skill of the Mercy player. The better you are the less you need your skill, basically. That sounds extremely counter-intuitive to me and makes Mercy incredibly boring to play for me. Coupled with the utter toxicity (aforementioned quote included) and genuine hate people seem to have towards Mercy players in solo-queue quickplay on the EU servers makes Mercy a real energy-drain to play.

5 Likes

They should make a skin for mercy where instead of using a staff she is holding a camera on her shoulder that heals and damage boosts people, it would be very fitting.

1 Like

To be clear I’d rather Rez be removed and replaced with something that’s better at adding depth to Mercy.

I really only use it at this point when I am 100% sure it’s safe or I’m certain my team has the resources/positioning to help me. I don’t feel any real need to Rez, I genuinely hate making myself miserable to clean up someone’s mistake. It just feels like a waste to have such a powerful ability that I can only use once a game at times. Probably why I’d rather see it go.

Oh yea you have a point, but it wasn’t restricted to only helping x amount of downed allies or only being usable after a certain number of allies had died. That’s where Mercy’s initiative came in. If a team had a number advantage(think 6-4), but wasn’t pushing, or a hero whose ult is likely ready starts playing more aggressively there was the decision of Rezzing now to attempt to stop a push before it gains steam or to hold Rez for a midfight restart.

Personally? I think Hide and Rez sucked as a strategy for me because it was boring as sin. I wanted to survive and rub the Rez in because I outwitted/outpositioned the enemy not because I stood out of the fight while they mopped the floor with my team. Unfortunately people abuse things like that, and that’s why we can’t have some things.

She was less of an accessory before because there was a bit more playmaking of her own volition. Granted it was minute, but there was more than there is now. Unless we’re counting initial Valk, that was all Mercy all day.

That’s why I’m holding out for Mercy v3. I find Mass Rez preferable to Valk+E-Rez, but I never really liked MR there were just more endorphins at play with it.

1 Like

Holy sh*t you’re picky lol.

You don’t have to do a bunch of intricate little tricks to be an amazing Mercy player. ArK is one of the best Mercy players in OWL, he had the lowest average deaths by A LOT and the highest average healing.

He also rarely uses GA, doesn’t use bunnyhop very often, and only rezzes when he knows he will live (doesn’t even worry about LoS/momentum tricks). He doesn’t mess around with fancy movement or momentum tricks, he plays smart and plays safe, and he’s widely regarded as one of the best Mercys by other pros/GMs.

I was also watching a top30 french Mercy main who is on a contenders team last night, and he was playing in a similar manner. Very conservative, rarely using bunnyhop/any sort of GA jump.

And then you have GM players like Animetic who play in a very great way, just different. More aggressive, amazing movement and awareness, etc. LittleMenace who is hyper aggressive, Kaz and Yuno who are more moderate/conservative but aren’t afraid to make plays.

I personally play Mercy at a Gm/top500 level and am more of a mix of the two playstyles, I love my movement tricks and tech but recognize that sometimes its smarter to just play in a more conservative and basic manner.

You can pick apart anyone’s gameplay and find small mistakes, that doesn’t take away from the fact that Animetic is an amazing Mercy player who obviously enjoys the hero quite a bit. I bet you make more mistakes than her on Mercy all the time, we all do.

3 Likes

I feel like having one less teammate compared to the enemy always makes me feel like going for the rez whenever available but I guess that’s just me

there’s a stark difference with zen’s and mercy’s ults tho. zen’s a clutch ult, mercy’s is sustain. you don’t really think much during transcendence, it’s the moments leading when you use it. mercy’s on the other hand is a sustain ult, and because it lasts longer and unlike the decision making in trans where it’s heavily towards when you use it, the decision making in valk is supposed to be spread over the course of the ult

people are surprised because juggling used to be her ideal playstyle. people are peeved over this because it lowered her skill floor and skill ceiling. it’s not that a 1star support doesn’t require intense thought or skill 100%, it’s the removal of it. especially when this was, to a lot of people what made mercy fun. because juggling, the quick decision making on rapidly changing between allies, used to be one factor that made mercy more than a hold mouse button playstyle that people used to meme about her

2 Likes

And it still is

no matter what you aren’t valkyrie 100% of the time and you aren’t using it whenever its up because it can still be handy at specific times

Also I just want to comment how valk is simultaneously the worst thing ever for some mercy players yet they still want it to be on E for more up time because ???

At my rank on console Rez is more of a suicide button than Cree or Pharah ults.
A need to bring back someone dies pretty quick when the price is usually another death.

The Mercy collective didn’t reach a conclusion on that topic in our last reunion, thus we are split on many different diverging ideas.

I, for instance, find that idea dumb. Res is 30s cooldown. Might as well be an ult.

Except it’s not. With the hps nerf, mercy’s ideal playstyle shifted towards pocketing… or going battle mercy. This is because with lower hps output, you need to tether to a teammate longer. Therefore the rate of decision making on changing targets is slower, due to the opportunities to switch not coming as fast cause like i said due to having to tether to a teammate longer.

And even when juggling is still fairly viable during base game, i honestly dont see why that shouldn’t extend to her ult as well.

Dont look at me that because i dont share those sentiments

I couldn’t care less whether she has valk on ult or mass rez. I just want her to be able to juggle more effectively

2 Likes

Ok but why are we judging mercy by what the top rank players do that the majority aren’t in?

Mercy can heal a team just fine, ideal pocketing is only really an option if you have a really competent Moira or Ana

I mean it could but then Mercy loses her only form of aoe healing which is fine if you don’t like it but is also one valid thing one could not like about Mercy is her lack of aoe compared to other healers so /shrug not everyone can win here

Oh I know I just want to keep track of all the differing opinions have because for some reason others seem to think mercy mains are all a hive mind and they have the one solution for all of them

Are people actually frequently encountering situations where 60hps would mean the person they’re healing survives where as 50hps means they die? That’s quite the delicate little knife edge.

Going to reply to Lulla and such in full when I get to my computer but this is just something I see a lot. It seems like people we really on this knife edge of 60 hps was enough to ensure survival and now 50 hps means everyone dies.

I have a feeling it’s just hyperbole but figured I’d put it out there anyways

OP

Also OP

So. I’m confused, which is it? Are you saying that the only form of “fun” that matters is the one similar to how Animetic plays the hero, and that anyone who still finds it to be unfun shouldn’t play her? Because if so, wouldn’t that also be subjective opinion? Apologies, but I think I see some mixed messages at play here, and after watching the video, I still find Valkyrie to be unengaging, unimpactful, and unrewarding to play (but it did get a quaint yawn out of me, so I suppose that was worth it)…

Let’s analyze the play by play. Heal, see a team mate die, hide and res one of them (or try to), Valk to prevent the rest from “dying,” watch as some of your team dies anyway, avoid focus fire by flying into the skybox, attempt a cheeky Valky rez from above, punish that one Widow who is stupid enough to get extremely close to your team, and then rinse and repeat for the rest of the 32 minutes. (did I miss anything?) While I love Animetic, a lot of these plays aren’t anything super ground-breaking… In fact, I’d argue that any Mercy should be expected to do quite decently as was shown here, had they have decent enough positioning and passable knowledge of who to prioritize on the heals and rez. Valkyrie isn’t all that demanding in my opinion, when it comes to skill, and I haven’t seen anything impactful or engaging at all when she used it, that sets her apart from any other mercy main using it. And that is the problem I have with the Ultimate as a whole.

But alas, maybe that’s just my bias there, so I digress. Either way, I believe it’s safe to assume that people are going to have different opinions on the hero, and some are just not going to find Valkyrie all that interesting. Which is fine. :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

4 Likes

i never mentioned anything about this being at the top rank? And yeah ideal pocketing is only prevalent in higher ranks. but the rate of decision making is far slower now even at low ranks and that across all ranks her ideal playstyle has shifted away from juggling because of thos

well mercy has always been viewed as a single target healer. that being said i never said that mercy should lose her aoe healing. my suggestions have always been about tweaking her the output so there’s a difference between the primary target and the chained targets.

right now mercy heals an around a total maximum potential 300hps (60hps over 5teammates), if you bump up it to 80hps on the main target (which is the same as moira’s) and lower the chained healing to 55hps, it would still heal 300hps overall. and at the same time give incentives to juggling while still keeping her aoe capabilities during ult. it’s just an example just to point out that valk can promote juggling while still being relatively the same