If you are ready to go this far to rework symmetra, don't change her category

If you are ready to go as far as creating new abilities and changing most of the concept of the hero to make her viable, don’t change her category. We already lack supports as is considering how the game is played, reducing their numbers even further doesn’t make any sense. You introduced Brigitte as an armor oriented support, why can’t you do the same for Symmetra but for shields ? It was already part of her core concept even at release, that seems like a logical thing to do.

3 Likes

We just got two supports back to back.

Personally, I’m liking this idea. Having Sym in the defense category with photon barrier as a defensive ult would mean my teams could run a double main healer on defense without needing Lucio/Zen for their ults

12 Likes

And how many support do you think we are missing comparatively to dps when the standard meta is 2/2/2 ?

I’ve said it in a few threads but I’ll mention it here as well. I think moving her to a defense category is more appropriate for her because although she can support her team, most people prefer a support hero who can actually supply healing and not just utility and shields.

Her new proposed ultimate seems very defense oriented.

Personally, I am hoping the combination of reworking her kit and moving her to a different category will remove, or at least ease, the stigma of even choosing her at the character select screen.

Many times when I choose Symmetra (on attack OR defense, or KoTH) I am immediately met with “we don’t need Sym” or “can we not Sym” or “swap off Sym or I throw”. It makes for an unpleasant experience for Symmetra players AND people who are on the team with those Symmetra players, and this is even before the match has even started.

3 Likes

She was already more defense than support anyway. Just make her full defense. Also, we’ve had heroes added to every other category too. She’ll be a “new” defense hero.

13 Likes

Since when was symm ever a reliable support? You could literally remove her off of support a long time ago, and it’d make no difference. This is a complaint for nothing.

11 Likes

That’s the point ? Since when was symm ever a reliable dps ? It’s not so they are buffing her to be one, why not do the opposite since we lack supports ? That makes perfect sense in my book.

1 Like

Because they specifically said it didn’t work. Because changing her into a healer (which we do, in fact, have plenty of) gets rid of her primary purpose which was area denial.

1 Like

They specifically said that turret healing doesn’t work not that a shield oriented ability wouldn’t. Which is exactly what my post is about. Area denial has nothing to do with modifying her E.

1 Like

the difference between shield and armor are only different in that armor reduce damage. Making another brigitte, but with shields, isn’t gonna work. Besides, shields are mostly a tank thing.

Edit: I meant armor reduces dmg.

2 Likes

Shield doesn’t reduce damage, it regenerates after a time. Making another Brigitte with shield wouldn’t work [insert no valid argument] is just talking without a clue.

1 Like

So do you associate shields with defense, or with support? I associate them the most with defense and tankiness. But that is just me. Why do you think she should remain a support?

Yes, I made a mistake. Corrected it.

Oh and saying, “there’s not enough supports (insert invalid argument)” is the exact same thing you’re doing.

Delete your thread.

1 Like

You say that but out of 14 dps only 5 are constantly played when all supports (except sym actually) are fine

Plus i hate current Symmetra but the reworked Sym seems pretty cool and will be pretty viable

1 Like

her damage output is more than a support and her ultimate protect the point as does her turrets. Seems like a pretty defensive hero to me :wink:

If she can’t heal then she doesn’t need to be in the support category. She’s not a support in any sense of the word or like any of the other support characters.

Your team doesn’t need to be down one healer just so some people who can’t let go of what category she’s in can justify picking Sym over any of the other healers.

1 Like

Sym is not meant to heal, people believe that a support should heal.

A dps Sym will be closer to the actual Sym than a healer one, people playing Sym like the fact that she doesn’t heal.

It’s the right path for her.

I associate shield with support because the only hero that give shield is a support and the hero with the higher percentage of shield is a support as well. Lore wise you could say that shield is purely associated with technology, not a specific category. Tankiness is clearly associated with Armor, the fact that mainly tanks have access to it is clear on that.

As already said, I think she should remain a support because we lack supports. It is clear when comparing the way the game is played (2/2/2) and the ratio between dps and support.

As much as I want the idea of support to be expanded upon, people really like to go by the 2/2/2 rule. Even though you can have 3 supports people in lower levels refuse to even try. If putting another label on sym lets us have enough healing during matches, then by all means I’ll put away my pride.

Unless you missed all my posts on this thread I made my argument clear as to why we are lacking supports, if you didn’t want to read that is none of my problem.