If this wants to be treated "seriously" as a competitive system

Blizzard needs to smash heads together to find a way to limit it to one account per person in ranked.

And they also need much much stricter punishments, and quicker more consistent action.

Announcing hero pools is all fun and intersting, but it is just a distraction so they can look good and not actually solve any of the issues that plague ranked.

The players, abusing the system or each other.

Let them do as they please in arcade and QP… but if it is competitive, the rules need to be published, with a zero tolerance approach to offences.

The quicker solution though, is just to hide SR, merge it with QP and say “sod the lot of you” and leave it to rot.

5 Likes

I agree 100%. JK said they listen to us, so if enough of us say this and say it frequently, they should implement it, right?

2 Likes

They should. It won’t be easy. But they should.

People can buy as many accounts as they like, but they have to have them linked and submit ID… then you can nominate which account is for comp each season.

Not a perfect solution, but if it is made harder to get into comp, it will scare off a few undesirable people.

When jeff came to announce the hero pool and experimental card he said that there were 2 big topics, both of which has been talked about non stop by us (the community) but all I ever see being talked about on the forums are throwers/smurfs/aimbotters, and how toxic the DPS players are. I don’t remember jeff bringing either of these up (except the part where 2 major updates to the anti-cheat system are coming, but he cant tell us about it). This makes me think he really isn’t listening to us or at least, not the majority.

I played quick play just for kicks. I mostly play competitive. Quick play makes you delusional, you think you are doing something, you aren’t doing anything, not because you aren’t but because everyone else is running around doing something but nothing and somehow you end up winning or losing…

…yeah, I don’t know what I even said but that is exactly how it feels.

3 Likes

That’s the thing. We asked for more frequent updates and more meta moving. But as soon as they come up with a solution we push it into the ground when we haven’t even tried it.

This was like tanks. We asked for tanks to be nerfed. They were. People ask what happened to the main tanks. These main tanks don’t want to play anymore on main because it isn’t fun anymore now they get spammed.

We ask for something. We get it. Then we hate it. Us as a majority of the community cannot simply make our mind up.

2 Likes

I don’t have many solutions, and what I’ve offered has surely been brainstormed before. Lots of trade offs as always.

They could revamp comp and put it behind a paywall. People have talked about a more exclusive ‘prestige mode’ or something - with all the bells and whistles.

Would compensate for the lost monetization on burner accounts. For the cost of some weekend drinking, you can just buy a disposable account, level it within 2-3 days and troll the living snott out of competitive. And it’s free to have 30 accounts on console because they like to show big market penetration on that medium.

Hardware/software/OS/client/BuildID + SMS protect so you have only 1 real prestige account. For a monthly fee you get maybe an unrestricted map pool with 2-3 blacklist options, some additional seasonal resets/placements, human-intervention and policing of the trolls, etc.

Basically, if $ are the excuse for a broken ladder, then raise $ for a cleaned up one.

2 Likes

ive said this literally for YEARS.

BLIZZARD MAKES TOO MUCH MONEY OFF OF YOU BUYING YOUR FIFTH ACCOUNT.THEY LITERALLY HAVE EVERY REASON TO ATTEMPT TO BAN YOU, RESTRICT YOU, GIVE YOU AWFULL THROWING TEAMS THAT MAKE YOU WANT TO JUMP OFF A BRIDGE TO MAKE YOU BUY ANOTHER ACCOUNT.

STOP BUYING ACCOUNTS, AND BLIZZARD MIGHT FIX THE SMURF ISSUE.

3 Likes

They have a long way to go and many issues to fix before its taken seriously.
4/5 matches tonight had leavers within first minute.
Should give week long bans for each instance.
Players openly talking about throwing should be banned.
smurfs should be banned.
Etc,Etc, Etc

Buying accounts work cause you will kick it in your placements, playing against literal newbies. Then you will get a boost and if you are lucky enough to win, by the 4-5 placement match you might be playing games at around diamond where you just need to win in order for the MMR to reward you even more. Then even a gold can place diamond 3.1k and hence the miserable amount of throwers, leavers and poor teammates you get at around 2.3-2.7, where the bulk of the active playerbase is.

If you wanna improve SR git gud at the game 4head.
I bought accounts in the past and it served no purpose but to slow my self improvement and the development of consistent skill trough a proper grind.
If you can’t wait for results then it’s your problem.

Agreed.

They also need to make team chat compulsory with no option to leave, and they also need to add an opt-in backfill to Competitive to resolve the leaver problem.

Make team chat forced, and people will start playing without sound.

1 Like

That’s an individual’s choice, sure, but then all they’re doing is harming their team’s chances of winning.

Communication is a key component of teamwork, and teamwork is core to Overwatch.

Team chat should never be mandatory and doesn’t always equate to winning. No point being in team chat if no one is going to heed callouts and warnings. No point being in team chat when all everyone does is blaming each other, tilting everyone in the team. Especially no point being in team chat when people start resorting to insults, slurs, and hateful remarks.

1 Like

Cannot be done, its too late for that. They cant do it now.

Sure they can.

They have all the information they need to know who owns which accounts.

They just won’t do it because they’d lose a revenue stream.

1 Like

This is true; however, not every match is like this, and even those that are you can simply use the mute option.

Don’t disadvantage those on your team who actually want to try and win further by not joining team chat to begin with.

Its not about knowing who have them, these people bought them for money. They cannot suddendly make rules one acc per person. They could do that at release, its too late for that now.

1 Like

Sure they can. It’s their game, not yours. You don’t “own” it. You’ve effectively purchased a licence to play it.

If Blizzard want to merge all of a given player’s accounts then they can and there’s nothing you can do about it.

But, as I noted, they won’t (more to the point their parent company Activision Blizzard won’t allow them to), because they’d be cutting off a stream of revenue.

Do you you have idea how much hate blizz receive if they would do it. You have no idea how many people would be raging.

And they cannot do it on consoles because of how consoles works rn.

Only way how could they make it on pc would be merging all accounts the person own into one so people would not lose anything. Then completely reset ladder. But even then, its would be hell on earth :grin: