If role queue failed, what makes you think 1 - 2 - 2 won't?

At least for me 2/2/2 Role Q did exactly what I expected it to do and I love it.

No more Solo Tanking, much better match making, no more pressure to play a Role I don’t like and separate Role SR is awesome because my DPS SR/MMR is much lower than on Tank/Support.

I consider it to be a huge success and I am really sad that they are willing to sacrifice this for the sake of slightly shorter DPS Q times.

1 Like

That’s your opinion. I support you enjoying the game 100% the way you want to enjoy it. Why can’t I also enjoy the game the way I want to enjoy it? This is not a rhetorical question. Why can’t I also enjoy the game in the same way you are enjoying it? Keep in mind, the way I enjoy it, is the way it was originally made. Why? Why must the developers go the extra mile to extinguish one of the few modes that not have role queue?

I do not like role queue not because I am not a team player (I am), I just don’t like being constrained on how I can enjoy a video game. I’m a geriatric millennial - and, like many of my brethren, I work a miserable job that I hate but get paid well for, and all I want to do when I come home is pour a glass of box wine and flank-kill a Zenyatta when I get home. That is literally all I want to do in my life. Quick Play Classic players understand my struggle, we just want to play the effin’ game and move on with our lives. If we win, great. If we lose, better luck next time. There’s no bashing of keyboards or gnashing of teeth. The only thing that matters in Quick Play Classic is that you try. In QPC: people are chill, people don’t yell and scream, the toxicity is relatively low, and the game wait time is nearly always less than a minute. In contrast, role queue complicates my existence with long wait times. I have ADHD, and I really don’t have time to deal with your tortuously long wait times to be constrained in what hero I can or cannot play. I would not tolerate waiting 8 minutes for #1 at Wendy’s, and I’m sure as hell not going to tolerate waiting 8 minutes to play some facsimile of Overwatch that looks unfun.

From my perspective, role queue has gone from a fringe idea to the central theme to game design. And, really, that sucks because role queue is a failure. It only works because it is propped up by Disney-esque priority passes; it only works because it is propped up by burying the other modes away from the main page; it only works because it is propped up by shrinking the game from 6v6 to 5v5. Here, it looks like Quick Play Classic was removed, in part, to help role queue’s atrocious wait times. Your role queue only works insofar as it has been propped up to work. It’s sad, really. All this sorcery just so that you can force people to play the game how you want them to play.

4 Likes

Double barrier itself is never an issue. The issue is when 2 barriers when paired together have too much uptime, and it also depends on the overall strength of said barrier heroes. The concept of having 2 barrier tanks on the same team is completely acceptable.

Role queue didn’t fail. It succeeded. It just has it’s own problems.

1-2-2 won’t fail, but it will likely have it’s own problems. Either way, I think it’s the best path forward.

Makes tanks easier to balance since it’s not “how does X tank pair with Y tank, and how do we make them not OP together and not trash apart” anymore, and also reduces queue times

It defo hasn’t failed.

I think 2/2/2 turned out well after the growing pais were sorted out. I’m less optimistic about 5v5. Here’s my thoughts:

different people want different things, that doesn’t mean the other is a failure

Open queue is pretty dead on xbox and role queue is the clear winner between the two as well

1 Like

Bold assumption with no proof to back it up and you are probably part of the problem.

I see this over and over again. People who just can’t grasp the sheer complexity of the game. Jumping from conclusion to conclusion, a simple world.

The game got mismanaged poorly and with it the community.
Tank skill is even after 5 years piss poor developed, period. Don’t just blame the community, it’s the job of the devs to steer the community

This simple mindset is now the basis for 5v5 and many people aren’t happy with this

OQ was added back for the minority of players who prefer that mode. More options is just better.

Role queue did not fail, the tank role failed.

Name one game that hasn’t dropped in playerbase in 5 years. That’s right, you cannot.

Role queue was never failed, still working perfect, stop creating rumors if that feature isn’t available yet.

1 Like

Uh?
League of legends
DOTA
CS:GO

I could go on.

2 Likes

rolequeue did not fail, 1-2-2 is just the most logical evolution to make it fully work by eliminating queue disparities and reverting tanks to their full “raidboss status” that has been chipped away as they tried to balance first having 4 or 3 of them, and then even having 2 of them.

100 million players in 2017 to 750 000 in 2021 are 2 very different numbers lol.

of course it failed - it assumed that the players would evenly distribute over the given roles - which they don’t by far.

1 Like

There are actually several indicators that Blizzard is beginning to acknowledge that role queue is a failure

The most recent of these is that Blizzard just announced that 222 is being thrown in the trash heap, and replaced by 122, but there have been several other indicators pointing in that direction over the span of time of rolequeue’s existence

3 Likes

On the contrary…many many many players, myself included, prefer the freedom of role-less queue mode over the excessive wait times, stale metas, and restrictions of 222

2 Likes

I mean relatively. I play open queue too, not because I prefer it but because I don’t feel as pressured as I don’t consider it the main game mode (I still try hard though).

But when my OQ wait times are 10 min to play tank or support, I’m not going to bother.

1 Like

The statement I replied to said that no one plays Open queue. I play open queue. Many others do as well