If role queue failed, what makes you think 1 - 2 - 2 won't?

An unsourced image, i’m sure to believe that.

If by minority of the player base you mean OWL, then yeah. Though I don’t specifically remember them requesting it so much as Blizzard deciding they needed it to try and juice their numbers.

I think it’s pretty obvious Blizzard does not and has not given a :poop: about the general player base for a while. They want OWL to succeed but otherwise they’re banking on PvE from OW2 bringing in an entirely new player base. At that point it won’t matter what the tiny, old player base wants.

3 Likes

bold of you to assume role que failed, i love the 2-2-2 system and hate doing open que. as sleepy would say this post is very sussy baka
(am i cool yet? did i use the lingo good?"

I wouldn’t really say it failed, but I wouldn’t say it fully succeeded either.

It “succeeded” in the sense that it eliminated things like GOATs from OWL and 3 - 6 DPS (outside of Arcade and OQ Comp)

But, it also failed in the sense of DPS Q times, Tank balence, people playing/throwing just for rewards (role incentives and passes) and so on.

5v5 (and its changes) seem to be trying to fix other issues about the game. For example, double barrier. Can’t have that, if you can’t have 2 Tank. Also, I’m sure their attempt at making Tanks more “brawl-y” is to try and lure in DPS players to play them.

Though, I’m sure 5v5 will have its drawbacks too. It might alienate some Tank players either because they don’t like how Off Tanks get changed, or because they don’t want to solo, or whatever. Also, if left unchecked DPS heroes that have one shots (like Widow), are flankers, or are shield/tank busters could become problematic, as there is only one Tank per team for protection and all that. Things like this will have to be looked into before the release of OW2/5v5, of course.

But, really, no version of Overwatch will ever be perfect, honestly. That’s just how it is.

As for what the future beyond now holds, no one can be certain until we play it. Like they said, to them this just feels like the next iteration of OW (for better or for worse). And I guess that’s just how it will be. Whether you’re a fan of it or not, it looks like it’s coming. So, it (sadly) looks like your options are: adapt or quit.

Lastly, I will say that based on everything we’ve seen over the years, like: the removal of No Limits from the main game, massive and multiple reworks for heroes (like Sym), the intro of 222 RQ, and all that, it is best to not take anything for granted. If you enjoy something about this game, whatever it may be, it would be best for you to get as much play time with it, as you can, because you’ll never know how long you’ll have with it.

The (somewhat sad) reality of Overwatch, is it will never be the way it once was. I’m sure everyone has had things they liked about this game take away or if it stuck around it was morphed in some way they disliked or just shoved in the Arcade (to be seen and played as a relic of what once was). And, really, there’s no telling if even 5v5 (122) will be the last “shake up” of this game. It’s possible that we could love or hate it and a year after launch, it gets changed to something else, or heroes and maps get reworked again or whatever.

I know one might say “well, that’s the nature of a live service game.” And, I suppose they’re right. Doesn’t make it suck any less though when you lose the things you enjoy. So, that’s why I say, if you like certain things about the game now (whatever it may be), enjoy them as much as you can, because they may not be here forever.

3 Likes

yet significantly more players played this game pre-role queue than during role queue

makes you think

5 Likes

Blizzard have stated that they are happy with the reception of role queue. If it was such a failure I doubt it would be returning for OW2.

Becuase a minority of people still like OQ. If role queue is the colossal failure that you believe it to be why hasn’t it been removed already?

This was posted by Jeff Kaplan. Blizzard please keep classic comp - #51 by Megadodo-11847

2 Likes

Because role lock was for healthier games and the DPS hated it, and 5v5 is for DPS and will make games actively worse.

5v5 will stay because DPS like it, despite it dumbing down the game significantly

1 Like

a) not only dps hated or hate role lock, and many dps players just dont like long waiting times.
b) saw many people who main dps wanting role lock to be a thing back in the day. And from forum it seems many still like it.

They brought it back because the open queue community wanted to play Competitive their way (which is a fair request)

4 Likes

You have to admit the majority of people still whining about role lock are DPS, come on.

1 Like

Yet it’s still played less than role queue… Just admit it, it’s not a fail, you just don’t have enough patience to wait for dps.

1 Like

There’s just not enough people playing tank. It’s played by millions.

Role Q didn’t fail, in fact it’s the best thing that has happened to the game. End of the topic

2 Likes

Wow, a game loses players over time. Shocker.

2 Likes

Yes, 122 might prove to be unsustainable as well. However, I don’t think they would have put resources into RQ in the first place if OQ OW wasn’t in danger. It could be that 122 OW 2 might fail, but they know that OQ OW 2 will fail.

1 Like

good games keep or gain more players mate

4 Likes

Its nice that they gave more ppl the option, but its clear that rq is way more popular than open queue. Just look at how top500 finished as diamond in open queue, and gm in each role…

No Blizzard failed at balance and making necessary roles “fun”.

2 Likes

That’s why OQ has massively less players, because it’s successful compared to RQ.

/s.

2 Likes

I know of no valid data to support the claim of a minority