If and when 6v6 returns

Why don’t you think there are enough players in the most populated mode in the game?

Not sure what you’re asking. They got slightly fewer Tank players than is ideal for Role Queue right now.

So where’s that other 100% more Tank players going to come from?

No they drove off tank players - like me - just like they did in OW1. Different reasons, same developer.

I don’t mind playing tank in a stack, but that’s about it. Point is tank players are out there, we’re just waiting it for to be worth our time and I enjoy 6v6 more in OW2 than 5v5. If 6v6 was a test weekend or added back, you can bet I’d be queueing all roles. Depending on Blizzard’s method of implementing 6v6, that might change based on the experience across the roles.

Id wholeheartedly agree with that if it were back in 2022, but Blizzard did a bit of a mistake when it comes to gathering data.

They implemented too many various things that could help get people back into tanking, so its hard to get a concrete idea which changes are the ones bringing tank players into the game.

Id have rathered us move into Free to Play with the removal of most of the games CC and see what it wouldve done to tank populations first.

Im a back and forth when it comes to role queue. I kind of think we were fine after Blizzard banned out duplicate picks, so if moving back to 6v6 meant the removal of role queue Id tentatively accept.

If they do it they won’t bother rebalancing any characters from 5v5 to 6v6, we’ll all hate it because it will be an unbalanced mess, barely anyone will play it more than a couple times because of this, and Aaron will say in a dev talk that this proves the majority doesn’t really want 6v6 and they’re going ahead with 5v5 forever.

Calling it. OW Classic will be sabotaged and a disaster on purpose so they can tell us we were wrong the whole time, and people will fall for it.
I anticipate a ton of “all you people whining for 6v6 to come back were soooo stupid :rofl:

1 Like

Why wouldnt they? Going through the process to make it a matchmade mode would mean theyve already put resources into this thing. They might as well make sure the data they get has purpose, which it wouldnt if they didnt properly simulate what a 6v6 environment would be in OW2

Well, I’d be more curious what sorts of changes 6v6 fans would have if they just converted the existing Open Queue into 6v6.

Obviously you’d wanna move away from that -150HP thing and replace with a percentage. Since -150hp on JunkerQueen, is way different than -150hp on Roadhog.

Kinda remains to be seen if Sigma+Rein would be an issue.

TBH, if I was designing it, I’d probably put 2x Tank maximum per team, then a 3x Support maximum per team.

Could see them adding a “smart autopilot” for Open Queue Tank balancing.

Although you’d need to actually make it so Winrate math isn’t broken.

I mean outright the only true issue we’d have to look out for is a Return of GOATS. Lets be real I think we both know the reason for role lock is Blizzard couldnt figure out how to get it out of the OWL and it was starting to hurt sales.

The 2x max tank seems fine. Its kind of a way to do a soft role queue which would save queue times and still let people play what they want without the game devolving into degenerate gameplay loops like GOATS.

Unironically I like the idea a lot.

When it comes to anything related to Sigma though Id say this get a lot more complex. Sigma has a design thats very fun, and doesnt feel unfair to go against, but his kit is undeniably bloated, his presence kind of invalidates other tanks. I cant ever imagine a liked character like him getting reworked, but he needs something

Oh, yeah. Low key, here’s something hardly anybody talks about with “Why did GOATs happen”.

Could just revert the knockback stuff, then give Hammond, more knockback. And then Lucio like an HP buff or something.

This does seem like it would help make peeling against GOATS viable, but I think I just outright prefer your idea of a 2 tank limit. Movement displacement is almost more annoying than hard CC, and I feel like the reduction in overall CC in Overwatch 2 is one of the biggest factors of tank enjoyment

True though I do see how the anti cc passive couldve helped spiral goats

Christ its crazy seeing tanks get flung. Its been so long.

Yeah, but also now that I think about it, Open Queue Tanks still have their passive, so no changes needed.

If it ever comes back and the game dies as a result please stick around so we can mock you for helping in murdering the game that you think you’d “save” by bringing back 6v6

Game’s already dead
Full revert would be a rez

2 Likes

Honestly Im tired enough as a player that Id be alright being relegated to a rarely touched secondary mode.

Honestly I think its probably the best course of action to alter 5v5s open queue into 6v6. I go back and forth a little between standard QP and open queue sometimes and really it all kind of just defaults into being normal QP a lot of the time. This is give the two modes more genuine difference, and a reason to exist.

If it meant it barely got changes until it actually picked up enough of a player base to earn Blizzard attention then so be it.

Well to start with you’d might wanna think about branding.

Would it still be Open Queue, or “Open Queue Hacked” to start with. Or something else.

I imagine the text below would be different.

Yeah I mean thats the most simple and most readily apparent to players.

The giant blank space is more than enough usable room to make a bold text laying out the player counts.

Youd have to change Open Queue’s text to specify the 2 tank limit though.

oh sweet summer child, just because you cannot grasp the reality around you doesnt mean we cant, its not a mistery to anyone with critical thinking and history knowledge that the game WAS ALREADY A SUCCESS WITH 6V6. IT WON GAME OF THE YEAR, Millions of people played it for years and the player leaver was probably 10x lower than in ow2, even more considering that ow1 had its development halted for ow2 to be launched. Its not a mistery, 6v6 is preffered by most of the community and its the better mode, you might not like it more and its your choice of course but saying the game would fail because of it its completely delusional when the game is already failing miserably in 5v5.

3 Likes

If Im being honest theres no true need for the names in blue “role queue” and “open queue” if open queue ends up moving to 6v6, and it would have soft role limitations. It will be a substantially different mode and that would no longer really be a proper way to differentiate

Altering the blue text to be instead the player count “5 v 5” and “6 v 6” would serve to show how the modes are different. The only small thinker is to how to use the text to describe the nature of the soft role queue 6v6 would have.

5vs5 is an abomination

I just want Overwatch back

2 Likes

“Problems” are subjective, so yes there’s always going to be complaints no matter what.

6v6s biggest problem was cc, and that’s what made double shield so strong. If cc would have been nerfed, dive would get stronger, and dive is the natural counter to shield heavy comps.