I was WRONG about the Microsoft acquisition... HUGE news

With today’s news I take back everything I said about the Microsoft acquisition of Activision-Blizzard and I’m now fully in favour of it…

If you’ve been following my posts you’ll know that I was very against the acquisition because I believed it would be bad for the market and competition and I was against the idea of a potential monopoly but my main concern has now been addressed and I’d be very happy to see the deal go forward…

I now believe this deal will be beneficial for everyone…

Microsoft and NVIDIA today announced the companies have agreed to a 10-year partnership to bring Xbox PC games to the NVIDIA® GeForce NOW™ cloud gaming service, which has more than 25 million members in over 100 countries.

The agreement will enable gamers to stream Xbox PC titles from GeForce NOW to PCs, macOS, Chromebooks, smartphones and other devices. It will also enable Activision Blizzard PC titles, such as Call of Duty, to be streamed on GeForce NOW after Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision closes.

“Xbox remains committed to giving people more choice and finding ways to expand how people play,” said Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer. “This partnership will help grow NVIDIA’s catalog of titles to include games like Call of Duty, while giving developers more ways to offer streaming games. We are excited to offer gamers more ways to play the games they love.”

“Combining the incredibly rich catalog of Xbox first party games with GeForce NOW’s high-performance streaming capabilities will propel cloud gaming into a mainstream offering that appeals to gamers at all levels of interest and experience,” said Jeff Fisher, senior vice president for GeForce at NVIDIA. “Through this partnership, more of the world’s most popular titles will now be available from the cloud with just a click, playable by millions more gamers.”

The partnership delivers increased choice to gamers and resolves NVIDIA’s concerns with Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard. NVIDIA therefore is offering its full support for regulatory approval of the acquisition.

:heart:

21 Likes

As an Xbox user, I’m still against the merger. The companies are far too large for this to pass.

15 Likes

Lol, well glad you got what you wanted.

5 Likes

Good for the 4 ppl who care about cloud gaming.

36 Likes

I think I know a certain someone who advocates for ActiBlizz games to be on GFN :thinking:

3 Likes

Incidentally, the Communication Works of America union would like the deal to go forward.
It’s one of the largest unions in America.

4 Likes

Idk why even have to wait till the merge but i guess stubbornness and its best.

1 Like

In most cases I agree, but blizzard is honestly in shambles and I would rather someone else running the show at this point.

6 Likes

It is just another way for people to play.
It is not like stadia where you have to buy the game on the platform to play it only there.
Any game you own can be played on geforce now if it is supported.

2 Likes

I know what it is, just so few people care about it. Especially people who play overwatch since it’s a pretty easy to run game.

3 Likes

Well also, if the merger doesn’t go through, Blizzard stuff will probably get sold off piecemeal to companies like China’s Tencent.

1 Like

It is simple:

If merger fails, Bobby stays on. BAD.

If merger goes through, Bobby gets $$$$$$$$$$$ and might leave in a few years. SLIGHTLY LESS BAD.

2 Likes

I think the stock market boost from Bobby leaving Blizzard would be worth more than his compensation package.

5 Likes

The merger is 100% a bad idea, monopolies are bad and we should not be celebrating such a major step in that direction.

The only good thing I can see happening is sony maybe shooting themselves in the foot with their rhetoric about exclusivity.

6 Likes

A few months ago you said you preferred Apple to buy Blizzard, which clearly would’ve screwed over so many people considering they’re neither a gaming company, nor have any history of making cross platform games or even apps outside of itunes. Now suddenly you wholeheartedly embrace the acquisition because you benefit from it.

Sounds to me a bit like you never really had any real concerns other than whether it was good for you :thinking:

Counterpoint: consumers SHOULD make the decision that is best for them.

1 Like

This isn’t a consumer decision, though. Also that wasn’t my point.

He claimed, in this post: “I was very against the acquisition because I believed it would be bad for the market and competition”

That very clearly wasn’t true.

I think hulk is a bot that immediately supports anything even vaguely good for apple.

4 Likes

I personally don’t care about this topic, but to be fair OP did weigh out what changed his mind.

I dunno what the point in attacking his integrity is. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

It is valid to point out his concern for the consumer immediately dissipated when the situation was even remotely positive for apple users.