"I want to practice" in qp

Not sure how learning in qp matches with 5 dps and 1 hybrid healer is preparation for comp when any decent sort of lineup has 2-2-2 or something close to it. More tanks and more healing im comp so if you just want to learn the functions of a hero there are plenty of other modes to learn. QP says it’s practice for comp with the same rules and yet it is anything but that usually featuring 10/12 pew pew heroes.

Theoretically you could be learning how to not feed, right?

1 Like

QP is for practicing, nobody is immediately great at everything, and yes that includes practicing against your counters because sometimes you will have to be able to deal with that scenario, it isn’t always just simply switch off to something else.

So, I agree with that widow, lay off man.

1 Like

You can learn cooldowns, combos and the like. Also what does and does not work. YOU. CAN. LEARN. FROM. LOSING.

1 Like

I normally go vs AI, and then join QP. Now I’m also going into deathmatch for practicing as well. It’s pretty useful because idc about being no.1 on the leaderboard.

1 Like

I found this reply very nice. Everyone has to start out somewhere, and everyone has to practice before they get better at something.

How else are players meant to make progress if they’re unable to do it? Do you not see the contradiction in your statement? You can fully practice how to counter your counter.

Doesn’t always work, but at least you’re trying.

4 Likes

There’s something wrong with people who take QP seriously. PLAY COMP. That’s why it exists. QP is a a free for all crap fest, as it should be. If you want “good” QP games then GET A TEAM and tryhard away.

I don’t have an issue with try-harding in QP, it can be fun and rewarding, but you just have to remember that not everyone will and you can’t force them to do that. If I really just want to win, I play Mercy or Zen and I have a way better shot at winning. I have an alt account where I mostly play non-support roles, right now most of my time is on McCree and Sombra and my win rate on those heroes is sitting around 40%

You may say playing heroes where I have a winrate of 40% is throwing, but it has made me a better player overall.

There are many things you practice in qp. Every character has a different weapon they aim, from grenades with bounce mechanics, instant direct damage from snipers, shotgun spreads, beams with soft target lock on, learning how many shots you have, the range, ect. The last thing you want to do as Roadhog is hook someone and then realize you ran out of ammo and can’t kill your target. That is something you only learn with practice, counting your shots.

There are movement abilities to learn, how far does winston jump, is there a shorter jump, how far can doomfist leap, how far does his punch go?

Doomfist alone requires learning not just how to aim and use an ability but how to string together a combo. Maybe all you do is manage to kill a healer a couple of times in the game because you are countered but at some point in the future that practice will come in handy when you are playing in a comp game and the opposing teams healer needs to die and they don’t have the counter to doomfist on their team. Then bam, you know the attack combo pattern and they die and you win.
Counters are not rock paper scissors as there is skill involved. Look at Reaper and Winston. A Reaper should counter a Winston straight up but if the monkey has learned how to bubble dance then the Reaper isn’t a threat to Winston. If the Reaper goes into the bubble to kill Winston a good Winston will move backwards, putting the backside of the bubble between him and reaper, then he strafes back into the bubble as the Reaper tries to come through again. All the while he is doing damage to reaper and Reaper dies. A good reaper who recognizes that Monkey has skill will in turn back up away from the winston and shoot down the bubble first outside of the lightning guns range and then walk in to kill the monkey after the bubble is down. An unskilled Reaper wouldn’t know that and just repeatedly die to a skilled winston.

So no, being a counter does not mean you are going to win a duel, skill has everything to do with it.

Reaper meets Genji, Genji deflects shots into Reaper and then shifts through the Reaper killing him. A good Reaper will stop firing once he sees the Genji and let him do his deflect dance for nothing, then the genji always swift strikes through so Reaper goes intangible for a second. Then Genji only has his double jump of which a good reaper has practiced targeting with shotguns and will let Genji get to the apex of his second jump before tracking his downward arc to shoot him down. The downward arc is predictable.

There are many many things people practice when they are practicing.

And really, if you don’t want people to one trick in your games then don’t complain when they practice new characters in qp, a mode that is not meant to be a competitive setting.

5 Likes

Well, if you want to practice Doomfist, and the enemy is running Junkrat Pharah McCree Sombra Brigitte and Roadhog, it’s probably not the best game to practice.

I disagree, I think QP is still a place to practice, vs. AI can only go so far because players behave differently than the AI

I get the frustration but you gotta give them the benefit of the doubt, especially if they say they’re practicing someone. You can ask them to change but what if the players they’re good at have already been selected? Then you’re just trading an inexperienced player in one role with another

1 Like

I keep hearing people say “but playing against your counters is good practice!”

What about practicing for your hero’s intended role? If you only ever “practice” in situations where their role isn’t viable, you won’t learn how to play them properly.

I get that quick play is the best chance you have for learning a new hero for comp, though.

I think we need a “casual mode” version of quick play, so that people who just want to play their favorite hero and tunnel vision/throw themselves at the objective can do so without disrupting the experience of people who are taking the match much more seriously.

That’s a casual mode. You should try in it, but there shouldn’t be the same amount of pressure as in competitive.

Well duh? You cant exactly practice aiming against human and thus far more unpredictable targets, against the AI. It would be lovely if we had AI that advanced, but we dont.

If I want to learn the nuances of playing someone like Doomfist against actual human beings, I need to jump into QP and practice against actual human beings.

Doesnt mean I aint in it to win it, but I am not likely to be the main contributing factor to a win the first few matches…or dozen…of playing Doomfist.

1 Like

I was going to practice aim in deathmatch with zen, i meet other guy who play him and he start telling me to get off zen because practice and i cant play the same heroe because he said so…
So where i can practice now?

Qp is designed with nearly the exact same ruleset as comp, that’s the catch.

Same team sizes. Same time to capture the objective. Same rate of capture/capture decay. The only difference is that comp makes you play both attack and defense before declaring a winner.

1 Like

I get you, bruv. But there’s a lot of casual players (myself included) who enjoy playing for fun. I go ahead into comp prepared to give it all I’ve got and into quick play to have fun. That doesn’t mean I don’t try.

1 Like

I think the attackers have more time in QP than they do in comp iirc.

-Not allowed to practice in comp since it’s a serious mode.

-Not allowed to practice in QP since people that don’t play comp want to try hard in QP and have a comp experience.

-Not allowed to practice in Arcade since people want to get loot boxes.

What am I supposed to do exactly?

I just wish we could afford play qp more casually and still not be throwing.

You’ve got to have a halfway decent team comp, even in quick play… which which means that a lot of people don’t get to play the hero they want. Getting steamrolled is no fun.