I rely on Pursuit to teach me how to play Overwatch properly. With pursuit banned, i don't even know what i'm good at

Actually, Visor was technically cheating as it fed you information live. If visor didn’t give you information live it would have been different. Pursuit was completely not cheating though. Visor changes your gameplay and actions while it happens, Pursuit does not.

2 Likes

From Blizzard’s code of conduct

Cheating
You are responsible for how you and your account are represented in the game world. Cheating in any fashion will result in immediate action. Using third-party programs to automate any facet of the game, exploiting bugs, or engaging in any activity that grants an unfair advantage is considered cheating.

Exploiting other players is an equally serious offense. Scamming, account sharing, win-trading, and anything else that may degrade the gaming experience for other players will receive harsh penalties.

So if you are using software that isn’t part of the game, and the other players don’t have it (even if they have chosen not to use it), you have an unfair advantage. YOU ARE CHEATING.

Just. Play. The Game. Win on your own abilities, or not at all. Stop trying to game the system or use loopholes to gain SR. If Pursuit is just like Overbuff, then go use Overbuff when the match is over, and in that case you don’t need Pursuit. JUST. PLAY.

1 Like

Some people wanna use pursuit, it doesn’t give them an unfair advantage in any sense. You are out of your mind if you think it’s cheating, they are just playing the game. It does not change their course of action during the game. The outcome of the game is the same as if pursuit was not installed. It changes the player, not the game. And external program can’t give you an unfair advantage if it gives you no advantage

2 Likes

That was my point as well.

If it provides no advantage at all, then it’s not needed. So drop it, and prove you’re all just as good without it.

And for the record, Blizzard has weighed in on this already. They make the rules still, so if they say it’s cheating, it is cheating. You don’t actually get to decide if it is or isn’t. The products are NOT welcome. Either learn to judge FOR YOURSELF how well you’re doing, like everyone else, or keep on cheating until Blizzard bans you. And they will.

A coach doesn’t give you an advantage, yet people still use them. And I have no once used pursuit, nor visor. I’ve never had the need to. If people wanna look at post game statistics compared to others, that makes sense. I’m confident in saying the only reason it was banned was because of the controversy of it and visor both being out. Why are you so upset about people wanting to use something that doesn’t affect you in the slightest?

1 Like

So without cheating you can’t learn to play the game? Everyone else did it.

Pursuit isn’t cheating though.

2 Likes

Perhaps not much, but if you get extra assistance that isn’t part of the game then it is cheating. If it doesn’t help you then I imagine there would be no point.

People are using it by recording footage and replaying it to pursuit afterwards. If it’s offering no in game advantage, and it’s goal is to change how the user thinks of their gameplay, rather than the gameplay itself, how is that cheating? If someone watches your stream, and then after your game points out things you did wrong, is that cheating? Is isolating your mistakes cheating? It’s not the same situation as when visor would tell you things as they happened. Everything pursuit does is post game

1 Like

I’ve never heard of pursuit but it sounds rather pointless. If it just looks at videos you take of you playing then whatever I guess.

What is the controversy here? If is truly detached from the game then Blizzards opinion is not part of the equation. I feel like some details are being left out.

The makers of Pursuit say it right on their website: “CLIMB FASTER.” Sounds like THEY intend their software to offer an advantage. It’s basic logic: if there is no advantage to using it, then it serves no purpose and no one would use it. If using it will help you climb faster than IT IS giving you an advantage. Stat tracking is part of the gameplay experience. Stat tracking helps you improve. The goal you have ascribed to Pursuit (“to change how the user thinks of their gameplay”) is not something that the makers of Pursuit are mentioning at all, and it is something ALL players have to do, all the time. During matches, after matches, and before matches, whether or not they use 3rd party software.

And while it is possible that some people are recording the match and then replaying it to Pursuit as you suggested, that is clearly NOT how the software is intended to work.

No, it does not, and I suggest that you might want to stop saying that when it is so easily proven untrue. On their website, it says “HOW PURSUIT WORKS: 1. Download and install Pursuit on your PC, 2. While you play, we track your stats and take snapshots of the game, 3. Your data gets uploaded, and the analysis becomes available after a few minutes.”

This is exactly like Overbuff, right? Except it’s tracking your stats WHILE YOU PLAY, which Overbuff does not do. That’s the difference. There are stats and metrics that are only available by pulling live game data. Stats that Blizzard, whether for better or worse, does not release and considers proprietary. For example: pick order, kill contribution, avg partial kill credit… these are stats not available anywhere other than from Pursuit. Getting access to stats about your gameplay that other players don’t have access to is an unfair advantage. Any stats that we as users are authorized to scrutinize are available on your profile page, or on Overbuff, or MasterOverwatch. Some of the stuff that Pursuit is pulling is ONLY available by automating the capture live data. That’s the rub.

If the gathering of this data is automated in any way, THAT is how it is cheating. If you’re exclusively using human eyes and a human brain, that’s not cheating. And again, if you can get that information from another player, then why would you choose instead to get it from automated software? Unless it is providing an advantage.

If you disagree with Blizzard about what stats you should be able to access, you have two choices: You can accept their rules and learn to live with it, or you can refuse to accept the rules and not play. Those are your only choices. There is no wiggle room, no loophole, no exception.

Just play.

1 Like

Pursuit is a post match coach. Post meaning not during the match. It has no influence during the matches, yet is banned for being a third party program.

At what point do we differ asking professional coaches like Jayne for advice from a service intended and designed to analyze your games after they have happened to provide accurate advice to what you are doing wrong and how to improve? At what point is it not okay for “the integrity of the game”?

1 Like

Here is the deal. I’m on xbox… I can’t use 3rd party apps… so, I can’t improve because I don’t have access to these programs? No.

I think the real reason these apps are banned is because of the live data gathering and not post match gathering that Bliz decides to release to the public.

Why? Because any extra data can be used and are probably aimed at finally cracking the MMR system underneth the SR. I think this is also the main reason why private profiles were introduced because data collection was getting close to cracking the system. Introduce default private profiles, it throws in enough unconfirmed data points as to make someone unable to accurately determine SR gains.

Pursuit is post match, because it only offers data post match. The only thing it expects to change is you. It doesn’t matter that it’s automated. And not everyone wants to pay for someone to review, or wait for someone to review. Plenty of sites compare your data to other users, and they are not shut down. Don’t come at me with “Well why not use those!”. If you think those are ok, you think this is ok. You climb faster, by being you a better player. It tries to focus out your weakpoints. Give me a genuine reason why this is cheating.

Because Blizzard says it is. Are we done yet?

Blizzard said it is an unauthorized 3rd party software.

So then… using unauthorized 3rd party software in violation of Blizzard’s established, stated policy to automate your data collection is:

A.) Cheating

Or…

B.) Just kidding, there is no option B.

It was never stated as cheating, just unauthorized software. They hadn’t stated why pursuit wasn’t allowed outside of that.

Someone even already spelled it out for you. How sweet :heart:️!