I paid $40 for Overwatch in 2016

Yes, because I didn’t want that. I wanted to keep playing the game I bought. I bought Black Ops 1 12 years ago and guess what? I can still play it whenever I want.

1 Like

Yes, it does say a lot that people who got regular free upgrades for years from a one time $40 purchase are angry the only got a few free new maps, a few free new game modes, and a few free new heroes. If you don’t get ALL updates for free, you have to take to the forums and complain!

I’d also have no problem paying $80 for a game if I play it for a few dozen hours. Again, it would still be the cheapest hobby I have.

Then buy games that come with physical media, or buy games with perpetual licenses. Don’t buy licenses for online multiplayer games and expect them to be around forever.

Black Ops 1 servers are still online. And it’s a game from the same company.

1 Like

You’re not making the point you think you’re making. They could shut down those servers any time they wanted. Would you whine about that too? You’re not owed anything because you paid money for a license for a game years ago.

Neither of them get no update or attention by the devs.

1 Like

They could but they haven’t. And Overwatch 1 had a hell of a lot more players online in 2022 than BO1 did.

2 Likes

It’s because the had to start paying their employees a livable wage. Bobby couldn’t take a pay cut so they start to price gouge in cosmetics.

Neither does Overwatch unless you count the cash shop updates.

2 Likes

Again, you’re not making any point. Blizzard realized they could make money money with this model than they could keeping OW1 around. Their goal is profit. They are a business, not a charity to cater to cheap gamers. Why are you wasting effort complaining about something you won’t change? Your attitude here makes zero sense.

You started this thread asking why Blizzard is charging what they’re charging. It’s because their goal is to make more money, and they can do it this way. That’s the reason, pure and simple. It’s the motivator for most decisions by public companies.

You also seem to be forgetting that OW2 had a dev time of at least 4 years. Not even holding them up to the “standards” that OW1 free updates had, that’s barely 3 free updates worth of content being “given” (Kiriko was given for free but was likely going to be locked behind the BP like Ramattra, so it’s up to you on that number).

If you want to make your game F2P, you can. But when it’s used as an excuse to cut down on game balance and hero adjustments over FOMO shop updates when other F2P titles have proven that F2P can be generous and still make money, that sounds like a pretty subpar product.

Also very funny how you didn’t touch on the other points. I wonder why that could be?

Well that’s fine and dandy, but us folk in real life might not have the $80 minimum to throw at a game on a chance that it could be good or even finished by today’s modern game standards.

It wasn’t turning a profit. It was hemoraging money year after year. It had one huge profit the year of release.

As the game was still paying artists to make skins year after year while paying devs and everyone else.

The investors got upset they profit wasnt there as they should.

You cant run a live service game with no profit which what ow1 was doing and they realized they messed up which explains the contwnt drought.

Simple to understand really. Shouldnt even need explaining.

They could also make more money if they shut down old CoDs. Yet they didn’t. What point are you trying to make exactly?

This has been proven false many times. They made nearly 1 billion of profit in each of the last 3 years.

1 Like

Because you’re not making any real points. You’re going through mental gymnastics to argue something irrelevant. If you don’t like the direction OW is going, stop playing and stop posting here. It’s just a game. Why are you still here if you think OW2 is a downgrade?

No they didnt but sure. Okay i can play the game of fake comments. Blizzard hemoraged billions on ow. See how that works? Do some research next time.

The game sales and lootbox purchases didnt get nearly a billion in sales each year from 2021 2020 and 2019.

My point is you started a thread asking a question. I answered that question, and you’re somehow mad at a company for trying to make money with their own product. You’re just complaining for the sake of complaining. If you get this upset any time a company makes changes to push higher profits, you’re in for a long life.

https ://www.tweaktown.com/news/85996/overwatch-made-less-than-10-of-activision-blizzards-2021-revenues/index.html

880 million in 2021 for an abandoned game is insane profit. You are the one who needs to do research before making a fool out of yourself.

2 Likes

Your complaining that your mad at yourself for investing money into a game that eventually released a sequel for free?

That’s not costing more.

Skins are Digital Art you are paying a Premium for. Nothing more. It does’t Help you play and Yes there is alternative ways to unlock them.

Because they made digital art and gave it for free in overwatch 1 means you are NOW ENTITLED to all the skins in the game

Lmao

Get real

Go back to barking and sit down like you are already doing

I was literally talking to myself about how this should be a crime.

There are so many wrong things with what blizzard has done in selling us on overwatch 2 and how theyve gone about everything including the release.

Dont get me wrong… i enjoy the game, but it seems wrong to give the game for free away and skins that we all earned years ago, then just call it Overwatch 2.

It feels like blizzard is just giving the new crybaby generation a new way to suck theyre thumbs.

Anyway, it just feels all wrong