I paid $40 for Overwatch in 2016

Can someone from Blizzard explain to me how 2 skins that were unlockable for free in that game 6 years ago now cost as much as the entire game used to with no alternative ways to unlock them now.

41 Likes

B-b-because modern gaming and mone!!

8 Likes

Bobby Kotick likes money. The Activision-Blizzard shareholders like money. Pretty much all there is to it.

Prices will only come down if people stop purchasing the Battlepass or skins from the shop.

14 Likes

Greed.

It’s like… the entire history of humans lol

10 Likes

Shift in marketing strategy

Because it’s not 2016 anymore. It’s a new game with a new pricing model, and Blizzard realized people will pay for skins, and that they can make more money this way than they could selling only the base game.

4 Likes

The word you’re looking for is “greed.” Pure, stupid greed.

Also, when a new game comes out, you’d still have access to the predecessor. Where’s the game they took away by force? Where’s the game I spent $40 on? Oh, that’s right. OW2 isn’t actually a sequel. It’s a money grab gimmick, while simultaneously spitting on the fans of the predecessor.

15 Likes

…isn’t that just inflation…? :thinking:

1 Like

They are new to the new players and of course returning players who didn’t get them originally. On whether or not they are too expensive, that really depends on your point of view and of course if they sell or not. If they don’t sell, they will come down in price.

1 Like

You got Kiriko for free I guess. That’s their entire compensation for making the game free for everyone when you bought OW1 :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You got a paid game with free unlockables. Now you get a free game with paid unlockables. We could debate the prices but the idea itself is simple.

1 Like

$40 is 2016 costs 12 grand in 2022. No customer with a fully functioning brain thinks that is a fair trade off.

2 Likes

With respect, are you new to online gaming?

1 Like

Small indie needs money to keep its lights on and clean the mold of its basement, aka HQ.

1 Like

Destiny 1 is still online. GTA 4 is still online. Every CoD and BF are still online. Nice try though.

4 Likes

Guess my friends don’t have a functioning brain then. They didn’t want to spend 40 bucks on OW back in the day because they thought they weren’t gonna like it and Blizzard has a shaky record with refunds. They decided to give it a go now that it’s free and we’ve been playing pretty much daily since release. I for one am glad the game went f2p.

There was a beta and tons of free weekends. They had plenty of chances to try it.

To be clear, you’re saying because a couple companies kept old games online, all should? You didn’t really think about that before posting, did you?

Let me guess, you’re also mad at Microsoft for not supporting Windows 95 anymore either

300million bonuses dont pay themselves son
-Bobby K

1 Like

Sexual harassment settlements don’t pay themselves.

9 Likes