I made a new account

He’s 74 games in. That’s a minimum of 12 hours of game play and he’s still 1500 SR over his other ranking. How much more proof could you want? Sounds like the answer is ‘play until you’re in Bronze and I won’t believe anything else’.

Also, this is the rating system that they definitively stated finds your rank quickly. Within a few games, it knows about your skill level. Clearly something is not right.

3 Likes

I’m not saying smurfing is/n’t an issue. But even the devs have stated it’s overly exaggerated. Most people just don’t understand the difference between teammates being properly enabled or a legitimate smurf.

What gives is this is a team based game, and you’re unlikely to climb without either a) stacking with a team or b) being absurdly better than everyone else.

This is not uncommon for games that are so team reliant – it’s hard to rank people based on individual skill.

1 Like

:dart:

I hope they invest more time making MMR more strict.

I don’t see how me not being a “top player” would be relevant here? :thinking:

This just says you unlocked potential that is all. In other words, you were handicapped.
[/quote]

You are also “unlocking potential” if you improve without a hardware upgrade.

It’s not as if the matchmaker could tell the difference between me getting better through a hardware upgrade, or through honing my mechanical skills and game sense and would try (or not try) to get me back to where I was, depending on the means that caused me to improve :wink:

Seeing an improvement through a hardware upgrade and actually being able to maintain the gained SR on a previously hardstuck account is pretty much the only prove you will ever need, that those “forced 50:50” and “anchor stat” theories are wrong.

There is an unarguable improvement and it reflects in my SR :woman_shrugging:

I’ll just leave this here

1 Like

It’s not a “conspiracy”. As I indicated its obvious flipping between accounts the quality of matches changes even in the same tier. Currently I have seven accounts, I am guessing you didn’t read all my posts on it, I made that clear why its obvious, almost predictable once you experience it enough. I don’t believe it’s necessarily intentional, but I think it’s a side effect of the way the MMR is coded. Everyone says quit and dequeue after two losses. Did you know that MMR gains on a string of wins is stacked higher? This is a fact. I believe the system does something similar now on losses to a lesser degree and it seemed to come in after the Pass system came in.

2 Likes

This is widely known and discussed since OW’s inception. In fact, PBSR only makes it worse (which is absent at I think Diamond up) because it emphasizes statistics over simply winning. In other words, just playing like a wild man but doing nothing constructive means that person gets better rewards than the person who depends upon strategy.

And you are 100% right, it’s noted how this is very flawed because it literally teaches players the wrong things.

I never said it was just hardware, but everyone just about sees an SR increase with a bump from 60hz. It does open the door to playing better no doubt, if for no other reason you may get a few more kills you wouldn’t which grants more time to execute strategies. Did you really improve, or did you just remove a handicap? I think its more the former, and FWIW, I too saw about a 200SR jump when I went from 60hz to 120hz Gsync, this is pretty common actually.

Coming back in, I’m now 2680 or 2682 I’m posting offline on that account. SO yeah. Something is busted and I’d love a real answer now I’ve maintained rank.

1 Like

I would also like some answers. Very interesting indeed

I myself am master on my other account meanwhile in platinum on this one

We must ask ourselves: what is going on?

:thinking:

1 Like

I dont think we are gonna get answers, I’ll just ressurect this post with updates and that does no one no good but yeah - something is really wrong with the system.

Everyone is like “you wont do it solo blaaaah youll go back bronze” - nope, thats the opposite of whats happened here. Im leaving it though. No point. Im gonna conclude that I reckon something is amiss to get people to buy more licences to make new accounts - money money money money money.

1 Like

What is your tanks now? On your main and your alt?

I can’t disagree with you about any of this. This is why many professional boosters will not boost ppl out of bronze - it’s just an unplayable elo. Weird and funny things happen in bronze - both in game play and in text/voice chat. Things that should never be allowed to occur.

I see several issues.

1. Your mmr on your bronze account is perma-messed up and it’s making it very difficult for you to climb out of anything because you’re being matched with the worst ppl in the game - literally.

2. The people on your team are doing very weird stuff, making it impossible for a support hero to carry in most instances. You would literally have to play dps moira, zen, brig, or baptiste in order to carry your team and your aim would have to be impeccable. And even then, it’s not guaranteed.

I always tell ppl that if they fall to bronze - just make a new account because fixing bronze mmr is, although not impossible…extremely difficult. I believe blizzard should not let ppl into comp until they are at least level 200 just because of this issue. I am sorry that you have to deal with this. It is indeed a nightmare and a waste of ppl’s time. I hope you climb from that plat account.

Just make sure that you are consistently getting above average stats for the heroes that you play in every game - regardless of win/loss because that’s what will help your mmr climb and that’s what gives you good teams.

2 Likes

Very valuable input there thank you!

Out of curiosity, this is really a thing?

I think so - way back when I was a true noob on my main account I joined high level friends who were really good and I got catapulted into their MMR. I think its been a weird decline since even though I am now better than said friends.

Yes. MMR is a hidden matchmaking number that Blizzard will not let you see.

Blizzard’s excuse for not showing us what’s under the hood is that they don’t want players abusing the algorithm. The more likely reason is probably because they know it’s **** and they don’t want everyone to find out lol.

Why bother defending what they refuse to show? If the system can be gamed by them being transparent and letting us know how the game calculates MMR and how it affects matchmaking, then it’s probably not perfect as some people make it out to be. Hence ‘play 10000 games to get your accurate SR.’

Speaking of which, those 10000 games ain’t gonna play themselves, so get to it.