I just got ddossed is there a way that I can get rollback sr? I was 3514 but I lost 50 to ddossers

The reason I know it was a ddosser because this never happens because I’m directly plugged to the router meaning there will be no lag at least for my router and it came back directly after the match finished

Unfortunately unless it was an extremely obvious ddos, they have no way of telling your dc apart from someone just unplugging their router. It sucks but it shouldn’t take more than a few games to get back.

Dang that’s a feels bad man

Yeah. Unfortunately not much you can do about it. But realistically it shouldn’t effect you much in the long run.

Under no situation do they restore SR, so it wouldn’t matter if it was obvious.

4 Likes

I’m not saying “restore SR”. I never once said restore sr. But I guess it helps you to just ignore what I said and put words in my mouth.

I mean more if it was obvious they’d likely shut down the match that the guy was in to begin with and then they wouldn’t be penalized.

if you’re experiencing a denial of service attack, or distributed denial of service attack, blizzard has absolutely no way of knowing this because the traffic doesn’t traverse their network. Unless Blizzard is your ISP somehow.

1 Like

Sometimes internet cuts out for a moment, just because you might have had a hiccup doesn’t mean someone is ddosing you.

Before you say something the answer is yes, it can still happen with a wired connection.

Also, a connection coming back directly after a match is no evidence of anything (except maybe something server side). If you were actually getting ddosed it would happen regardless if you were in a match or not, just because a match ended doesn’t mean all connections to your computer are then closed.

1 Like

There’s no way Blizzard could detect that, and that would also require they code something specifically in to try to catch it.

If it’s that obvious that they do catch it. Like someone in the same game as them then I figure it would be flagged similar to someone hacking in the game. I’m not saying they can catch it or even do it easily. I’m saying that if it was detected they wouldn’t have been suspended in the first place as the match would just have been shut down.

The likelihood of you being DDoSed is super low. Like it could happen…but really - without a reason, it’s super unlikely.

The attack comes from somewhere. Usually it’s a paid service from less-than-legal places.

Do you have people who wanted you out of the match enough that they:

• Got your public IP
  • Paid for a service to DDoS you
  • Did that while trying to play the game

Or - did your internet just cut out for a few seconds?

I’m betting big money on internet or blizzard server issue.

3 Likes

Their servers have been stumbling lately.

$100k for the MVP tho. That’s important.

Apparently DDoSing is a platform specific issue. Not completely sure but I’ve heard that xbox has a security issue where it doesn’t protect people IPs very well when they join parties. I don’t have proof it happens but there are masses of people complaining about DDoSing on xbox but pretty much no one on pc, ps4 or switch.

1 Like

This doesn’t mean that you’ll never lag…

all a hardwired connection guarantees you is freedom from the instability of Wi-Fi - if your ISP is having issues or your router is malfunctioning you can still lag, disconnect, or lose internet connectivity entirely

There is a known security issue with Microsoft Xbox live right now that is being abused by ddosers like crazy. It is very common in upper elo on Xbox right now. Every ranked game on Xbox is having same problem rn.

Edit: Imagine if blizzard stepped up and sent some data to the fbi . A ddoser could actually get punished for once after being investigated because of a trend in their matches.

1 Like

Wont a ddos prevention on the router secure the xbox behind it?
Lots of modern routers come with such features…

I know router isn’t something lots of ppl like to upgrade, or even try to understand. :sweat_smile:
I’d be interessted if that helps.

Can’t try it myself, i don’t have a xbox, nor can i launch a ddos attack by myself really.

Sure it won’t stop a massive bot net ddos…
But probably deny smaller attempts

You’ll get harsher punishments and that’s about it. Welcome to ranked.

I don’t know what it is (I don’t do the party thing on Xbox), but it sounds like people open a direct connection between each other.

If that’s what happens then you’re basically directly connected to that person and can look up their IP (in the list of active connections). This is less a security issue and more of it can’t really work without doing this. There’s things like proxies and VPNs, but that goes beyond the basics for now and kind of off-topic (plus I don’t really have an understanding of how those work; I mean I do, but not beyond the basics).

Point is that it’s not a Xbox specific security issue, it kind of has to work that way in order to work at all. It’s just that way across all platforms if you’re directly connecting to someone else. When it comes to Overwatch the matches are hosted by the server (as opposed to P2P), the server is the go-between without people directly connecting to each other.

1 Like

But the thing is this has been happening every 1 to 3 games and it’s not just me I keep seeing other Xbox players in my games getting extreme lag then crashing but when this happens the enemy team doesn’t crash or lag at all and the person who “lagged out” gets back online literally directly after the match finishes every time

1 Like

I don’t think you understand what a DDOS is. Blizzard cannot detect me being DDOSed while playing their game.

1 Like