• One senior programmer on new feature design
  • Two junior programmers on bug fixing
  • One additional programmer who really likes workshop
  • One artist, part time
  • Jeff, available sometimes for videos, and forum posts
  • Jon Spector doing great OWL stuff
  • 3rd party team for most skins

Well, at least in my imagination.
Fully imagining that OW1 has a skeleton crew.

17 Likes

Wait, what about Geoff?

Now that I think about it, I haven’t heard of him for a long time.

1 Like

I’m just thinking Geoff and Jeff are spending most their time on OW2

5 Likes

Only 2?
No wonder the amount of bugs has increased.

Not that I doubt their skills, but having only 2 (junior) programmers might not be enough to test all the new changes

How do you know this btw?

Nothing but pure gut feeling on this, based on how things have been going this year.

3 Likes

I could be entirely wrong, but it’s why I’ve been doing my best to help things along.

I did the same thing for PlanetSide 1, when it was relegated to skeleton crew status.
So that’s kinda my mental framework on how things are going over at Team 4.

Mercy damage boost animation it’s also bugged :triumph:

Because activision exists

1 Like

To be fair, their lore has always been their only redeemable factor.

Their PvP and also attention to detail, publicly promising stuff and then ignoring it for literal years, this has always been a problem in WoW even when Kaplan and Goodman were on it.

I remember in they said moonkin skins were outdated and three years went by without updates. They released a new game with new races able to be druids and they were still using a model from 2004.

Favoritism among certain classes (like balance druids being garbage for a very long time while paladins dominated both pve and PvP) and certain heroes like Symmetra has been an issue they’ve always had in their pipeline. Balancing issues with PvP, too. Both the systems they use (which are improving) and the classes/heroes themselves (which in some ways are improving, in other ways they’re being homogenized) have always been poorly maintained.

Honestly I hope that OW2 gives the team their passion and inspiration back and they can give new life into this game. But I doubt it. They always start their games super passionately and then post release they have no clue what they’re doing. With some exceptions like Diablo, Warcraft, etc which are story driven.

3 Likes

Nah, some games had truly amazing and addictive gameplay. Diablo II is probably the best game of its kind ever made. Starcraft might arguably be the best game of its kind. OW is the best hero shooter IMO, better than TF2 ever was. They made some incredible things.

I think companies have a life cycle mostly tied to the talent of the founders, and they’re probably nearing the end of theirs as the founders have all or nearly all left and many of the most talented latest-gen have left too. Eventually all of the magic goes and you get, well, Bioware. I don’t know how you’d avoid or prevent it, really.

1 Like

This is SO annoying. I died in a game earlier because I wasn’t able to fly to my Mei in her ice block…

6 Likes

Rushing to meet a short deadline while working from home in an uncertain world is what happened.

1 Like

Same happened with EA holding back Criterion ans Black Box (Burnout and NFS)

Both of those were awesome indie companies that made some games that caught the eye of EA, so they were brought out.

Then due to time pressures and budget cuts, NFS Carbon, which is my favorite racing game to date, was half baked, some features unfinished or never got seen.

On the Criterion side, simular issue woth Burnout Paradise, Issue being that the Alpha Map, shown at E3 was at least double what it is today. Hell, they had some hardware issues, but that couldve been resolved.

Unfortunately, smaller companies always get brought by bigger companies. Then the big companies strangle the little companies to do more for less money. Ultimately, killing the company

Well, luckily it looks like Overwatch team is getting more attention recently.

Apex wasn’t enough of a threat.
But Valorant is a credible threat.
Especially with Tencent/Riot having both the capability, money, and intention to take their present and future lunch money, across the whole range of Blizzard titles.

OW aint going nowhere. It still has 5 years, Minimum

1 Like

Yeah, but it’s level of budget funding is the question.

To be fair, Blizzard North made Diablo & Diablo 2 and was a totally separate company with its own dev team.

Honestly? It started when Activision acquired Blizzard. I’m sure plenty have already pointed this out, but Activision doesn’t care about the quality of what they push out, they care about when content and updates is pushed out regardless of how it affects the players for the sake of pleasing shareholders to make a dime. Theres a reason that ever since Activision acquired Blizzard so many people have quit the company and others have reported abusive working hours and practices, its because the people at the top don’t care about anybody but themselves and their very small clique.

The old CEO of Blizzard is gone, You think Activition is going to put someone with the same vision in charge?

It just another Acivition company now

Everybody retires. That’s inevitable.